Cardiff Devils v Nottingham Panthers - Sun 7 Jan 2018 - League - FO 6pm - Chat/Updates

Thread starter #1

The DEVILS welcome the Panthers to the IAW
with, hopefully, their winning streak intact

With another SELL OUT if you haven't got a ticket you will have to make do with good old MNL
with Russky hosting at the usual location of http://www.the-inferno.co.uk/mnl

IceTime will be running a webcast for this game with all the details to be found @ http://www.icetime.tv

If you'd like to chip in with a comment or make a score prediction on the night you can contact us at matchnightlive@gmail.com

ASHIPP

Panthers are more likely to play Galbraith in goal as he has proved far more consistent than Garnett. Evan Mosey back from injury and Gagnon has served his suspension already.

Hedd Wyn John

HUUUGE game tonight, Steelers & Giants will be willing us to lose & Panthers know a defeat here could potentially torpedo their title hopes. A loss for the Devils will embolden our rivals so we really need to bring our A game tonight. #GoDevils

ASHIPP

Panthers lost a 3 goal lead last night. They won in overtime. They will be looking for the regulation win. Galbraith no doubt in goal - statistically the top goalie in the league.

Devils know this game is a massive, massive test. They will give it everything.

I have 2 seats together available for tonights game as friends can't make it. Let me know if know anyone wants tickets

E.D.S.

Louis had a strong game tonight. Skated well, physical, blocked shots and was solid at the back.
May be it was an injury before or Lord was just trying a few things, which when you’re on a 12 game streak who could blame him. Great to see glimpses of last seasons Louis back. It’s great news for the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wannabe2

Well played lads, another good weekend, the first period tonight was pure poetry in motion, and totally destroyed the Panthers, it’s a pure joy to watch this team, another point gained on some teams, need to take flyers to the cleaners when we meet them. All I can say tonight is
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS

RedDevil17

My first game in a while and a easy win it was tbh!!

After the first period there was only one winner..

Not one ounce of physical stuff and tbh I got bored after 2 periods..

It’s nice we are winning but I just miss the good old rough and tumble hockey.

Can’t have it all can we :(
The lack of physicality in this team really does worry me. Once again we were bullied in OUR barn. Goalie rammed, a boarding call and another incident, once again no reaction and people wonder why our players get injured. Awful second period but a good win nonetheless. Pope stepped up tonight. Think he’s proven me wrong! I’ll take a 3 pt weekend and roll on Guildford....

Yes it's nice winning but players coming here doing what they want is something I'm not used to as a devils fan.
We are getting hammered every game sly hits etc loads of injuries and no retaliation.

Something tells me now that it's lordo and bordeleau was right in saying he was on a tight reign and couldn't do his job properly.

Bowns got sticked in his mid section by a panthers player falls to the ice hurt no one done anything.

They also tried crashing the net and Richie put himself in the way so they shoved him in to the post he goes of injured and guess what our players do f all again... It's embarrassing.

E.D.S.

The lack of physicality in this team really does worry me. Once again we were bullied in OUR barn. Goalie rammed, a boarding call and another incident, once again no reaction and people wonder why our players get injured. Awful second period but a good win nonetheless. Pope stepped up tonight. Think he’s proven me wrong! I’ll take a 3 pt weekend and roll on Guildford....
I take your point of view but I didn’t see it that way tonight. I thought there was more physicality, don’t get me wrong not huge but definitely more.
Always a tricky one to step in on a boarding call. Fournier got hit, we got the penalty, if someone steps in we potentially lose the power play. It’s not in Lords make up to initiate the physical stuff as a coach. He seems to take a more reserved and some would argue a more educated approach. He’d rather a power play.
Bowns wasn’t rammed. There was nothing cynical in it but yes a few seasons ago someone might have had a word.
Agree about Pope. He did step up and played really well.

ASHIPP

One big lesson learnt and nailed now is how to close out a game. Period 3 was actually clever hockey ensuring puck possession and recycling whilst being defensively responsible first. Where possible pinning the opposition in their own end so they have limited chances to set anything up. This gradually wears down the opposition. Panthers had to come out and do all the work...Devils sucked it up.

Some obvious MOM candidates tonight but a good team performance. Bownsey made some crucial saves. A big mention for Matthew Myers who didn't stop hassling and was excellent on the pk. Great to hear the crowd shouting encouragement to Toms (Rutkis) for his shifts.

Great result for the Devils. Well played. Keep chipping away, focussing one game at a time.

Last edited:

august04

After the early opener, I was just thinking to myself how dangerous Panthers looked on the attack. Within 5 minutes, they were 4-0 down! A comfortable win tonight and a great 2 points. I don’t think there was anything much to get concerned about in the physicality stakes. For me, we weren't bullied tonight, seen us smacked around at home far worse this season! In fact, I was disappointed with the level of physicality from Nottingham tonight, particularly when they were down a few. Gagnon was very quiet. As easy as it gets vs Panthers this year I think, dare I say it a little dull, and played in a very quiet IAW which says it all really.
Delighted to see Louis back on D with Fournier. Looks like he’s had a solid weekend too.

Last edited:
I completely agree with all the comments on the lack of physicality. It's painful to watch our guys being knocked all over the ice with no retribution at all. I don't advocate taking dumb penalties but at least finish checks and throw some hard hits! The Panthers certainly did time and time again; it's not as if we are lacking players who can do it! The crowd around me were quite rightly voicing their frustrations...that's about all that was being voiced as the atmosphere was flat as a pancake again. I have no doubt a few big hits would have brought the crowd to life!

Outsider

I take your point of view but I didn’t see it that way tonight. I thought there was more physicality, don’t get me wrong not huge but definitely more.
Always a tricky one to step in on a boarding call. Fournier got hit, we got the penalty, if someone steps in we potentially lose the power play. It’s not in Lords make up to initiate the physical stuff as a coach. He seems to take a more reserved and some would argue a more educated approach. He’d rather a power play.
Bowns wasn’t rammed. There was nothing cynical in it but yes a few seasons ago someone might have had a word.
Agree about Pope. He did step up and played really well.

It was probably one of the most boring game to watch in quite some time. You say that "it's not in Lord's makeup to initiate the physical stuff as a coach ". Really ? You can't be serious ? Then who's job is it ? It is the coach's job 100% and his responsibility to get his players to "finish their checks." It's a coaches job to pay attention to the details and this is an important detail. I agree Bowns wasn't rammed, it clearly showed on the replay that his skate got hit by a Panther's players skate. For this team to be successful, they need to "finish their checks." Tonight there were a few of the Devils defencemen stick checking and forwards not finishing their checks on the forecheck. No one is asking a player to hurt someone with a check but if they continue this they are going to get their lunch handed to them. All in all, a win is a win but as a coach you look at how you won and I suspect there are many things that Lord will shore up before Guillford comes to town.

Glad it's not just me!

Yeah we win, and yes I love to win. But I felt really, REALLY bored. I'm getting a bit fed up of teams coming in and bullying us.....and nobody, not even our tougher guys says a thing. Nothing even needs to be said. Just a bit of a sneaky little dirty play; would be enough.

The win was nice though. Maybe we should all just enjoy that and sacrifice the entertainment. But then I suppose it depends what kind of hockey you enjoy?