Giants Vs Devils - League - 18th & 19th March 23 - Double Header Baby!

Finny

Not a good look for the Inferno when regular posters here are getting criticised on social media for not calling out the offensive post. I only saw the edited version after the disgusting comment was removed! Just seen it on the Chasing the Puck Twitter account, honestly despair sometimes.
Would be interesting to know if the ChasingThePuck account reported the post themselves or decided to just screenshot and post it for likes.....

I've long suspected that Samael wasn't actually a Devils fan. You could argue that such a controversial post after
a) Devils beat Giants
b) Keefe having a tantrum on social media

was just a coincidence. But their replies on here today with no remorse and just more abuse all but confirm they were a troll after all.

E.D.S.

In the IIHF rulebook Clipping can be either a Minor, a Major or a Match penalty:

"RULE 44 CLIPPING
44.1. CLIPPING “Clipping” or a “low-hit” is the act of throwing the body across or below the knees of an opponent from any direction. A Player may not deliver a check in a “clipping” manner, nor lower their own body position to deliver a check on or below an opponent’s knees. An illegal “low-hit” is a check that is delivered by a Player who may or may not have both skates on the ice, with their sole intent to check the opponent in the area of their knees. A Player may not lower their body position to deliver a check to an opponent’s knees. A Player may not crouch down near the Boards to avoid being bodychecked and as a result, causes an opponent to tumble over them.

44.2. MINOR PENALTY The Referee shall, at their discretion, assess a Minor Penalty, based on the degree of violence to a Player guilty of “clipping” check an opponent.

44.3. MAJOR PENALTY The Referee, at their discretion, may assess a Major Penalty to a Player guilty of “clipping” an opponent, and who recklessly endangers the fouled Player in a way that at the discretion of the Referee such Player would not be sufficiently sanctioned by imposing a Minor Penalty. Refer to Rule 44.5 for an additional Game Misconduct Penalty.

44.4. MATCH PENALTY The Referee, at their discretion, may assess a Match Penalty if, in their judgment, the Player recklessly endangers their opponent by “clipping”. Such assessment of reckless endangerment shall be based on the severity of the infraction, severity of the contact, the degree of violence and the general reprehensibility involved.

44.5. GAME MISCONDUCT PENALTY A Game Misconduct Penalty must be assessed anytime a Major Penalty is imposed for “clipping”.

44.6. DISCIPLINARY MEASURES If deemed appropriate, Supplementary Discipline can be applied by the Proper Authorities at their discretion. "

Having watched the clip on the highlights it does look pretty nasty due to its proximity to the boards and the guy is lucky to have not received more.
Certainly felt like 44.4 would be relevant here and the Giants can consider themselves lucky that he wasn't thrown out. Good on Brandt for going after him as soon as he returned to the ice.

august04 2.0

Getting back to the hockey, my faith was somewhat restored after watching the game last night. It was a terrific performance and a great watch with both teams going at it and giving everything. It doesn’t detract from the real problems that we have all witnessed this season, but at least shows what we can do on our day, which gives a little hope for the play offs. Saying all that, we'll probably lose at home to Fife now!

Devils86

Getting back to the hockey, my faith was somewhat restored after watching the game last night. It was a terrific performance and a great watch with both teams going at it and giving everything. It doesn’t detract from the real problems that we have all witnessed this season, but at least shows what we can do on our day, which gives a little hope for the play offs. Saying all that, we'll probably lose at home to Fife now!
And here lies the problem. One word: consistency.

The only reason we will likely end up empty-handed this season.

This team, on their day, can beat any team in this league.

When it's not their day they can also lose to any team in this league.

Relying on playoffs for a trophy....becoming more Panthers as we go along.

E.D.S.

I said at the start of the season that this team is a cup team, meaning they can raise their game for the odd match up but just can't seem to nail the consistency. Special teams are still lacking and we just don't seem organised but... what a performance last night. Coincidence that it happened with Lou back in the line up? Chad had a superb weekend for me and Crandall was unplayable last night. I hope that signifies a change in performance from him. We need him desperately. What this weekend showed for me as well though is how important Davies is for us. He makes that 3rd/4th line tick and provides a much needed break for out 1st and 2nd lines. For me, he was a big miss this weekend.

moggy#9

And here lies the problem. One word: consistency.

The only reason we will likely end up empty-handed this season.

This team, on their day, can beat any team in this league.

When it's not their day they can also lose to any team in this league.

Relying on playoffs for a trophy....becoming more Panthers as we go along.
Ironically, even with the inconsistency, of we had half decent special teams we'd be right there challenging.

BostonBart22

just seen the highlights, awesome display and well deserved 2 points...Brandt must be signed even as capt, come on devils you know its right thing to do, announce it saturday and season tkt sales would go through the roof..

Wannabe2

It’s worth paying the season ticket money, just to watch Brandt, once in a blue moon a player comes along that you would think was Welsh, was born in Cardiff, and lives around the corner. And that’s what wearing our shirt means to this amazing young man. I would put money on his favourite flower is a daffodil, his favourite vegetable is a leek, his favourite food is arf and arf , washed down with arf a dark. Such a bright light in a pretty dark season.

kingmo19.1

I was walking over the Barrage earlier and Brandt came past roller blading!

He looked starving, but I could see he was enjoying wolfing down that jumbo bag of supersized leekes. Loved his daffodil stickers on his skates - pure class.

Surprised me to see him necking 4 cans of Dark but he did look thirsty. I think he’d scoffed an arf an arf earlier as he dropped some down this coat - that needs a good wash!

I was walking over the Barrage earlier and Brandt came past roller blading!

He looked starving, but I could see he was enjoying wolfing down that jumbo bag of supersized leekes. Loved his daffodil stickers on his skates - pure class.

Surprised me to see him necking 4 cans of Dark but he did look thirsty. I think he’d scoffed an arf an arf earlier as he dropped some down this coat - that needs a good wash!
I genuinely saw him at the tills in Morrison's earlier this season. He had a pack of steaks and a grab bag of flaming hot Dorito's. That was it!

:)

Hedd Wyn John

Not a good look for the Inferno when regular posters here are getting criticised on social media for not calling out the offensive post. I only saw the edited version after the disgusting comment was removed! Just seen it on the Chasing the Puck Twitter account, honestly despair sometimes.
I dont think the vast majority of regular posters saw the offensive post. I certainly didn't. As for some people who saw it but didn't call it out, they might not have felt confident enough to, I don't know. That's on them. I understand that the comment was reported and it was dealt with as it should be. There is no place for such offensive comments on these forums.

If however someone did see the offensive post but rushed to put a screenshot straight out on twitter without reporting it or calling it out to users on the forum, clearly they are more interested in chasing twitter likes than addressing the real issue here.

august04 2.0

I dont think the vast majority of regular posters saw the offensive post. I certainly didn't. As for some people who saw it but didn't call it out, they might not have felt confident enough to, I don't know. That's on them. I understand that the comment was reported and it was dealt with as it should be. There is no place for such offensive comments on these forums.

If however someone did see the offensive post but rushed to put a screenshot straight out on twitter without reporting it or calling it out to users on the forum, clearly they are more interested in chasing twitter likes than addressing the real issue here.
Exactly, it saddens me that some come on here, just to then post on Twitter and take delight In criticising the Inferno. Pathetic really.

Hedd Wyn John

Ironically, even with the inconsistency, of we had half decent special teams we'd be right there challenging.
Well that's the thing isn't it?

There's probably enough good in the team for the organisation to want to keep the existing coaching set up and core of players.

Ie they might just want to tweak things.

For me looking at Belfast, Guildford and Sheffield they'll all be looking to push forward and progress next season. I don't see tweaks from them. Except maybe Belfast (who already made big changes since January)

We're currently sitting in 4th and I don't think tweaks will fix that next season.

august04 2.0

We saw the same inconsistencies last year with the team, many of who were retained. So it shouldn’t be a surprise that history is repeating itself. To challenge for the league title again, we need to get rid of those players whose performances are just not good enough or consistent enough, week in week out. That would be more than a “tweak” for me. And a complete overhaul of the coaching team. But for this thread, let’s just enjoy a great win for a change!

hip check

I still think that you're oversimplifying matters. Whilst the mental toughness of champions does take time to develop, determination and work ethic must exist from the start. Similarly tactical smarts may need to develop, but you'd expect to see some spark early on.

If I'd noticed any off that potential in the games I've seen this season, I'd be all for allowing time for things to develop. Instead though we're in the mode of doing the same things over again and expecting a different result.

I think a better question is if the team can fairly expect fans to surrender their hard earned cash if an entertaining product isn't provided, along with a committed team.
Perfectly summarised, players shouldn't need effort,
pride and work ethic coached into them, even totally amateur players should have those qualities in their DNA.