Flames Vs Devils - League - 26th Oct 22 - 19:30 FO

Swarley

Is Brittain going on LTIR, nothing announced.
Not a clue but I'm more frustrated at the fact the club made a big deal about our 2 way signings and we don't even use them!

Both Jardine and Brittian were injured and zero call ups.

Brittian still out with injury... Zero call ups!

Why bother with 2 ways if we don't intend to make use of them.

Surely it would of been cheaper to recruit an import and have them train and keep the ghost of the gantry company until he was needed?

Devil94

It's gotta go both ways if one gets a shut out you build on that and keep it rolling until form fades, it make it a lot more competitive and raise the standard.
Well not really, because as I said in the previous post, if you play Kozun until his form fades, then you put Bownsy in who is not only out of form himself too but now is lacking game time because he hasn't played for a month. Then you're really in the shit.

You need to rotate when you have 2 potential starters. The in form goalie should play more of course, which Kozun has done last week or two. But what you dont say to a goalie is there's nothing you can do now except sit on the bench and wait until your partner has a howler. That does no good for either goalie.

there is a reasonable argument that last season’s league title was given away by not calling up replacements for injured players. as has been mentioned, why not make use of these youngsters on 2 way deals. 2 way players can only learn so much by training with Elite players, the real progress is when you get to play competitive matches with Elite players - otherwise 2 way deals have very limited purpose.

Swarley

Well not really, because as I said in the previous post, if you play Kozun until his form fades, then you put Bownsy in who is not only out of form himself too but now is lacking game time because he hasn't played for a month. Then you're really in the shit.

You need to rotate when you have 2 potential starters. The in form goalie should play more of course, which Kozun has done last week or two. But what you dont say to a goalie is there's nothing you can do now except sit on the bench and wait until your partner has a howler. That does no good for either goalie.
Neither does benching a goalie off a shut out win, its a hard thing to balance I get that but benching a goalie after a shut out win is just a slap in the face to the goalie that stopped every shot and made every save.

He may be history but where was the like for like replacement or upgrade? Few players in this team are living on their past sadly and coming to the end of their careers.

For a goalie that had to be homegrown why didn't we try and get Hedley or although unlikely, an attempt to sign Whistle.

Devil94

Neither does benching a goalie off a shut out win, its a hard thing to balance I get that but benching a goalie after a shut out win is just a slap in the face to the goalie that stopped every shot and made every save.
Well that shut out win you speak of was nearly a month ago now. The following weekend we beat Nottingham and Guildford away both with Bownsy in net, making 43 saves in Guildford. So not sure what the issue is, even with hindsight it looks like that particular decision worked out. And I wouldn't say that Kozuns confidence took a hit from it either as you claim.

E.D.S.

I honestly don’t get the focus on Bowns for tonight. The guy didn’t commit any howlers. He was hung out to dry. The focus should be on the poor defensive display. Crawford, Batch, Louis and above all else Jardine were so poor tonight and have been for weeks. I wouldn’t want to play in front of that lot. Then you’ve got the tamest forecheck in the league, stupid icing, poor face of performance and needless penalties all result in pressure, shots and goals. No doubt Carruth would save more than both Bowns and Kozun but he’s not here and our defensive display is appalling ending up with more rubber going on our net.

kingmo19.1

It’s ok talking about 2-ways but maybe Dupes doesn’t have the confidence in them?

Pitbulls bottom but one in the NIHL with 2 wins in 10 so maybe Bradley & Kelly are not quite at the level required? Not sure how Bayley is doing this year at Telford but they are a mid table NIHL team at the moment.

Kevlar68

I myself are just pointing out that 14 goals in 3 games for bowns isn't good enough.
Batch had his best season ever last season, this season looks lost.
Big Lou looks like bored Lou.
This team just isn't flowing and gelling for some reason.

Hockeymad

It's about time Dixon put together a competitive team he's had long enough in charge with no success.

Maybe this year is there year.

Still a decent point for us tonight.

Tough to pin the blame on Bowns tonight. Defensively we were woeful. Needles icing. Crawford was shocking with his distribution. He gave it away in a 3 on 3. We just invited more and more pressure. Poor decision making behind our net. Bowns is facing shots that we have invited on ourselves. We aren't doing him any favours at all.
No I agree the whole team threw that away last nite ! But the difference from last year when we had a solid Nettie even when we where bad you knew you could rely on him , but with bowns you just know he is going to let stupid and soft goals in ! I’m not confident atall and haven’t been since we signed him ! Just not solid enough anymore ( my opinion)

MA18

But Dupes has to manage 2 goalies. Look at it the other way, what would it do to Bownsy's confidence if he's benched for 10 games when he's in a rough patch. He needs to get back out there and get his groove back. If not, when Kozun has a rough patch suddenly we have 2 goalies struggling. Kozun's confidence will be just fine at the moment, no need to worry about that.

To be fair Bownsy was getting a lot of flak when he was playing every game in seasons we won the leagues and countless other trophies. Some fans just don't like him for whatever reason.

Completely disagree.

You tell your non starter to prove himself in training sessions throughout the week, support the starting goalie and have a good attitude around the rink.

It’s ok talking about 2-ways but maybe Dupes doesn’t have the confidence in them?

Pitbulls bottom but one in the NIHL with 2 wins in 10 so maybe Bradley & Kelly are not quite at the level required? Not sure how Bayley is doing this year at Telford but they are a mid table NIHL team at the moment.
Bristol have had a meteoric step to climb moving up to National League - most teams struggle to win any games when first stepping up, but the Pitbulls have won at home and away. Telford are mid table as you say, but Harewood at 19 years of age is already showing a Degree of comfort at National League level that players with considerably more years experience at National level have not yet achieved.
After a gruelling 3 game weekend, at least one player short and with one or two not 100%, having a couple of extra bodies to call on helps players with recovery. Previous comments have said the Devils ran out of gas in the 3rd and got the tactics completely wrong for OT Guildford had their speedsters out, whilst the Devils didn’t. Basic coaching 101

Devil94

I didn't travel or buy the webcast so haven't seen overtime, but the away team has to put their line out first of course, and then the home team.
So I'm guessing we had Reid and Crandall, who were the overtime winning line only 3 days prior, so not a poor decision in itself to put them out. Was it just good from Dixon to get his matchup correct and it paid off? If play had gone on for another minute we would have had our quick line out against their second line and who knows what would have happened then. Just the way it goes.