New Devils Jerseys

Paul Sullivan

It makes me cringe looking at the team when the anthem is sung because l'm sure they are thinking what the hell is this noise but are for the most part respectful professionals who patiently wait to get on with the game, just like some of the fans.
Hmmm. Never seen any NHL imports wondering what the noise is when Oh Canada or SSB are played in that League; be they Czech, Swedish, German, or any other Nation.

Your views are yours and valid for that reason, but please don't deign to tell other fans our national pride is plastic. Not everyone feels like us. Not everyone feels like you either. And now back to lurking.

Hi guys, think im posting in the right thread…

Anyone know where the devils post the shirt of his back picture?
Just so happens i was lucky enough to win Martins jersey last night, just not sire where they post the picture.

BostonBart22

Hi guys, think im posting in the right thread…

Anyone know where the devils post the shirt of his back picture?
Just so happens i was lucky enough to win Martins jersey last night, just not sire where they post the picture.
It would normally be in the next games programe but as there weren't any for last nights friendly I can't see one until 11th Septas its a lge game, so maybe in that programme

Hedd Wyn John

ST jersey doesnt appeal to me. I'm glad it's only a colour variant of the general release ones which, in my honest opinion, is far too similar to previous years to make me want one anyway.

Now then, l seem to have upset, dissapointed, offended or whatever a few people here for expressing my views regarding the imagery used on this and previous jerseys. To those who feel this way, tough. l'm not apologising and l stand by my views.

I'm not a Welsh speaker, l dont sing the anthem, despite being pestered as a kid at away games to sing it by crusty old members of the then supporters club. l also dropped Welsh in high school as soon as could, l never had any desire to work in either government or for the bbc which seem to be the only places where it's an actual advantage. l have no desire or more importantly no NEED to learn it as no literature in my working or social life requires it, and frankly l'm sick of people telling me otherwise. If you want to demonise my belief and label me anti Welsh, you are welcome to carry on. I could not give a sospan fach of a toss.

I've mentioned before l find it farcical the jersey has Welsh symbolism given we have so few actual Welsh born players and we are a club team not a national one. I stand by this.
The imagery will appeal to the patriotic among the fanbase, but remember the club is owned, directed, coached and for the most part played by people who are of the Maple leaf, not the dragon. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, nor am l taking anything away from Frannie, who held this club together during its worst years. I just believe the gradual increase in Welsh imagery on club merch is rather shallow given my belief, and l'd bet a full tank of petrol on this, no one is speaking Welsh in the locker room or at senior meetings so why is it so important to see it across the team kit during the domestic campaign?

Going forward l've decided to read more and comment less here which l'm sure a few of you who have different views to myself will be very grateful for.
By all means you're entitled to your views on the language. For me a bit of Welsh makes us unique as a club and its nice to see on the Jersey.

As for your complaint about the increase in Welsh imagery.

The Cardiff Devils is Welsh club. The colours of the team back in 1986 were chosen because they represented Wales. We've got a long history of Welsh imagery on the Jersey. No we don't have a huge amount of Welsh players but we have a long history of stand out Welsh players over the years & crucially the fans are Welsh. Without the fans there'd be no Canadian owners, or players or anything else for that matter.

Theres also marketing to consider. What makes Cardiff different from any other generic British team? When we play against European teams we need to stand out. To many people abroad without the welsh symbols all they see is a British or English team.

The Welsh dragon is instantly noticeable. When foreigners see the Welsh dragon they ask about it. It makes the club stand out in a way a club like Nottingham or Sheffield can never really do. That's why I think the Welsh imagery is a positive decision.

Diablo3

Hmmm. Never seen any NHL imports wondering what the noise is when Oh Canada or SSB are played in that League; be they Czech, Swedish, German, or any other Nation.

Your views are yours and valid for that reason, but please don't deign to tell other fans our national pride is plastic. Not everyone feels like us. Not everyone feels like you either. And now back to lurking.
I'm English (well adopted Welsh) and sing that anthem at the games as loud as I can. I just wish it was the other version because the one we had last night is just a fraction too slow, so we all end up out of sync. While I am at it, if you watch the Devils streams, they always cut out the fans singing the anthem which is a shame.

NathanG

ST jersey doesnt appeal to me. I'm glad it's only a colour variant of the general release ones which, in my honest opinion, is far too similar to previous years to make me want one anyway.

Now then, l seem to have upset, dissapointed, offended or whatever a few people here for expressing my views regarding the imagery used on this and previous jerseys. To those who feel this way, tough. l'm not apologising and l stand by my views.

I'm not a Welsh speaker, l dont sing the anthem, despite being pestered as a kid at away games to sing it by crusty old members of the then supporters club. l also dropped Welsh in high school as soon as could, l never had any desire to work in either government or for the bbc which seem to be the only places where it's an actual advantage. l have no desire or more importantly no NEED to learn it as no literature in my working or social life requires it, and frankly l'm sick of people telling me otherwise. If you want to demonise my belief and label me anti Welsh, you are welcome to carry on. I could not give a sospan fach of a toss.

I've mentioned before l find it farcical the jersey has Welsh symbolism given we have so few actual Welsh born players and we are a club team not a national one. I stand by this.
The imagery will appeal to the patriotic among the fanbase, but remember the club is owned, directed, coached and for the most part played by people who are of the Maple leaf, not the dragon. I'm not saying that is a bad thing, nor am l taking anything away from Frannie, who held this club together during its worst years. I just believe the gradual increase in Welsh imagery on club merch is rather shallow given my belief, and l'd bet a full tank of petrol on this, no one is speaking Welsh in the locker room or at senior meetings so why is it so important to see it across the team kit during the domestic campaign?

Going forward l've decided to read more and comment less here which l'm sure a few of you who have different views to myself will be very grateful for.
Why bang on about it? I wish I'd read your post last night, it would have knocked me spark out

BostonBart22

By all means you're entitled to your views on the language. For me a bit of Welsh makes us unique as a club and its nice to see on the Jersey.

As for your complaint about the increase in Welsh imagery.

The Cardiff Devils is Welsh club. The colours of the team back in 1986 were chosen because they represented Wales. We've got a long history of Welsh imagery on the Jersey. No we don't have a huge amount of Welsh players but we have a long history of stand out Welsh players over the years & crucially the fans are Welsh. Without the fans there'd be no Canadian owners, or players or anything else for that matter.

Theres also marketing to consider. What makes Cardiff different from any other generic British team? When we play against European teams we need to stand out. To many people abroad without the welsh symbols all they see is a British or English team.

The Welsh dragon is instantly noticeable. When foreigners see the Welsh dragon they ask about it. It makes the club stand out in a way a club like Nottingham or Sheffield can never really do. That's why I think the Welsh imagery is a positive decision.
100% agree, best post this week.

Samael

Ridiculous isn't it, imagine being that triggered by a club being proud of their Welsh heritage.
No one is 'triggered' here my patriotic little snowflake so calm down.

This is a forum, we don't all share the same opinion, that's the whole point of discussion. I'm not suggesting my view is popular or common. I am however starting to find it rather amusing you claim to have blocked 'anti Welsh' forum members but continue the discussion regarding it.

Some people here really are just sheep (pun intended) who cannot think for themselves and just swallow popular opinion.

If you don't like my view, that's OK, l don't care either boyos. ;)

Samael

I think that's the very definition of a snowflake. Embarrassing also.
You mean the way you and the that gavs guy have been "banging on about it", adding nothing to the discussion and just complained because not everyone bleeds red white and green?

While I may not agree with posts by the likes of Paul Sullivan and Hedd Wyn John at least they have given an opinion as to why the dont agree and not just bitched like children.

I'm really bored of this pathetic back and fourth now, I said I was stepping away yesterday but certain people keep picking away.

Last edited:

Devil94

I think we've figured that it's only a couple of fans holding this extreme and bizzare view. If they still believe that the Welsh dragon and language are not linked to Cardiff after all the evidence that has been provided to them, then they are so entrenched in their dinosaur views that they are beyond help.

Vast majority of views on here, twitter and what I've heard in person are very positive towards the movement and the jerseys themselves. I'm sure those views will get back to the club and will encourage them to continue down this path.

BostonBart22

I think we've figured that it's only a couple of fans holding this extreme and bizzare view. If they still believe that the Welsh dragon and language are not linked to Cardiff after all the evidence that has been provided to them, then they are so entrenched in their dinosaur views that they are beyond help.

Vast majority of views on here, twitter and what I've heard in person are very positive towards the movement and the jerseys themselves. I'm sure those views will get back to the club and will encourage them to continue down this path.
2nd best post this week...

moggy#9

Hmm. Bizarre? Extreme? That's pretty much how I'd describe some of the nationalist, separatist and anti English sentiment on display at times.

Devils86

Thread starter #299
I'm English (well adopted Welsh) and sing that anthem at the games as loud as I can. I just wish it was the other version because the one we had last night is just a fraction too slow, so we all end up out of sync. While I am at it, if you watch the Devils streams, they always cut out the fans singing the anthem which is a shame.
I am essential the same here. Englishman came to Cardiff - fell in love and then picked up a girlfriend. She now has a ST with me because otherwise she won't see me in the season.

Adore the anthem. And as a Westcountry boy there's a few similarities culturally generally. The mask wearing was a blessing for me (not only because it covered half my face!) but also I could make the rough sounds along with the anthem - which I am struggling to learn. Absolutely love it though.

On the version of the anthem issue - I first came when we had Beth singing it on the ice. Then when she left we had the CHL/recorded version and then when I spoke to Sully about it I put my foot in it....

Now Sully sings it from the gantry and he does a great job. It's slightly different but it's just as good - even better as he dips low on points when I can go low as well lol

Whatever our differences on it all - we all love the Devils. So let's leave it there and focus on the upcoming season?

One love x

Samael

Hmm. Bizarre? Extreme? That's pretty much how I'd describe some of the nationalist, separatist and anti English sentiment on display at times.
You're wasting your time Moggy. Some people cannot accept a difference of opinion. They start throwing words around like 'threatened' 'triggered' 'bizarre' and 'extreme'. If an opinion is expressed that doesn't conform to the status quo here all hell breaks out it would seem (appropriate for a Devils forum).

Perhaps a few here lack the maturity and dare l say it, intelligence, to have a reasonable discussion, it's either their way or no way. Bit like the dictatorship of Drakeford WAG l suppose.

In the greater scheme of things it's a jersey, a bland looking one at that, but not all that important. If they appeal to the sheeple, so be it. I still support the Cardiff Devils and enjoy the sport of ice hockey, I'll wait for a jersey design to come out that doesn't look like the ones we've had for the last 6 or 7 years and is more in line with the designs we had in the 80s and 90s, flames, pitchforks etc that some here seem to find 'generic' . Think I'll be waiting a long time though as whoever is knocking out these designs hasn't got one 10th of the flair as the designer during the shinedog era and is more concerned with blending in sponsor badges and moving sleeve numbers so you can't actually see them during play than putting out a solid original design. Christ, Kevlar could do a better job but it is what it is. Sponsors pay the bills. Jersey sales don't.