Devils and coach part ways

Finny

Really shocked at this, especially the timing.

After the extensive recruitment process the club went through I thought Skalde was going to be here long term. Struggling to think of a coach who has come into the UK and been successful straight away. Keefe and Lord were both ex-players and even then it took several years to be successful. Thommo had been here forever.

As a result I was willing to give Skalde this year to get familiar with the league, especially with the high turnover of players and disruption due to COVID.
Some of the summer signings were a bit surprising, but I put that down to being used to Lordo hockey for so long.
The style of hockey was different too, but actually worked well against Belfast and Sheffield. We definitely struggled to dominate against the ‘lesser’ teams but I put that down to Skalde’s UK hockey learning curve and expected it to be addressed with next years recruitment.

For much of the season I actually felt we were exceeding my expectations. Following the addition of Coughler and co we had an incredible run and were IMO the best team in the league and fully expected us to win the playoffs.
Then we won the CC SF, and instead of kicking on we seem to have been going through the motions. Injuries have obviously played a massive part and maybe we were saving ourselves for the CC final. And had we won it everything would have been worth it and it would have been a successful season.

But despite the underwhelming last couple of weeks it’s not even crossed my mind that Skalde would not be here next season. If he had been released after the playoffs I’d have been shocked but this is gob smacking.

I can only assume something has happened or been said this week that has made the Devils management decide that Skalde is not the long term solution for the club and there was no point in dragging it out.

Whilst slightly concerned that it means we’ve lost a year and we’ll be back to square one with a new coach for next year, its reassuring to remember that in Todd and Franny we have two of the best recruiters in the league. We’ve got a new core of guys and if we can re-sign the brits and half the imports we should be looking good for next year.

E.D.S.

Whilst I do agree, Ben Simon managed it so it has been done.
There is a bit of this for me too. It's not the hardest league in the world to win. You're not playing 80 games a season against 10 teams all vying for the title. It's the same three every year. A bit like the Scottish Premiership. That's not me saying that we should romp it every year but finishing third in this league is not a success, especially not with how we were approaching games - the style, how flat we were at times, the lack of direction and a game plan but then again is finishing third against two teams with a more established set up such a bad thing. It's a difficult call for me.

In many respects I think all of that is a moot point when you add in what Finny is saying.... Skalde seemed to be that long term appointment that we wanted. To be given time to build and time to learn about this league so to just leave in the way he has points to something more than performances, coaching style and being new to the league.

Last edited:

Finny

Can anyone remember if it was announced what length contract Skalde had?

I might be reading too much into the timing, but this weekend is usually playoff weekend.
So if he had been given a two year contract back when it was first announced, it’s likely that contract would be expiring around now.
So maybe there were necessary discussions about extending it and there were disagreements about whether it should be extended to end of season or longer?

E.D.S.

Really hope not, but if the rumours are true about him falling out with skalde then it might just put him off staying in Cardiff even though skalde won't be here next year?
If he doesn't want to be here, he can go and good luck to him. He'll be replaced as easily as he came in. It'll be shame but onwards and upwards.

moggy#9

Can anyone remember if it was announced what length contract Skalde had?

I might be reading too much into the timing, but this weekend is usually playoff weekend.
So if he had been given a two year contract back when it was first announced, it’s likely that contract would be expiring around now.
So maybe there were necessary discussions about extending it and there were disagreements about whether it should be extended to end of season or longer?
That's an interesting point. I hadn't considered that.

Rempel16

Ben Simon had a .357 Magnum budget in a .22 calibre League. Keefe and Lord are better comparisons imho.

No clue what brought this about but the Club has always been bigger than one person, right from Lawless onwards. Here's to the next chapter.
No way was that Steelers team far and away better than Cardiff or Belfast, so the comparison still stands.

It won't be spot on. The point I've been trying to make is that it's so difficult for a new coach to get recruitment right in their first year. Almost impossible.
And that’s why in many major sports, NHL/NFL included, the coach, coach’s and the GM signs the players to fit into the style of play that the GM/Owners demand!
You recruit the coach to play in the style you want and sign players accordingly.
Yes the coach will have some input but the recruitment will be signed off by the front office.

Last edited:

Pembo

And that’s why in many major sports, NHL/NFL included, the coach, coach’s and the GM signs the players to fit into the style of play that the GM/Owners demand!
You recruit the coach to play in the style you want and sign players accordingly.
Yes the coach will have some input but the recruitment will be signed off by the front office.
Wonder if giving the new coach more autonomy/involvement in recruitment is part of the hook to attract higher calibre coaching? Also I wonder if giving a new coach dual role eg hockey operations role in addition to head coach allows higher wage than league rules would otherwise allow??

Diablo3

Not that we will ever know, but it just might be he was at end of contract and had an offer from the US. No fallouts / skullduggery or anything untoward involved.

Mazzoak

I think that this year at least one problem could have been easily avoided. Unfortunately it took several months to realise what fans up and down the league already knew.
Which is why the issue was suggested by me to be financial. If fans are aware, logically the professionals are even more and if they haven’t made changes, there must be a logical reason. Obviously nobody on the Inferno at this point in time will know the reason, do we blame the coach. I’d suggest from an employee/employer point of view and looking at previous examples within sport, it’s blindingly obvious both parties relationship has broken. Why, well that is speculation, therefore suggesting its a coaching issue has little credibility, the same way blaming anything has little credibility, we just don’t know. Maybe coach wanted bigger budget, better players, maybe he didn’t & the management did.
The bigger issue now is next year, another year EDS wont be happy with the performance, fans throwing threats to stop watching may hit season ticket sales, which then spirals as finances going south means less quality, catch 22. We didn’t splash the cash this season, so how much we splash next year.........

Last edited:

Mazzoak

But maybe he knew that too and the owners didn’t want to do anything about it as they’re not ‘that type of club’?
Todd is the man with the hand on the rudder, Lord was made well aware of that, remember the Bordy debacle, Todd storming into the changing room, Bordy not playing physical & do we actually believe he was brought into Cardiff by Lord, hell no. He was a PR coup, a name from the past to sell tickets, what we got was a washed up drug fuelled LA superstar from the 80’s who was mouldy.....

Mazzoak

Coaches/managers who are hoped by their club to be staying for 4/5 years don’t tend to lose their jobs over arguments with a player who could be leaving in a month, would you have sacked fergie every time he fell out with a player or bye bye player
Twitter has overwhelming support for Skalde being given a 2nd year. This year has been challenging, inconsistency has dogged most clubs, so expecting Skalde to shine was never likely to happen. If l was to speculate I’d say Skalde comment of Sheffield being a shit hole is also how he views the league and has simply had enough......