Devils vs Panthers - 19 + 20 Oct 19 - League

august04

A few players have taken the wrath of the fans lately - Mcmonagle, Jardine and Bentivoglio have all had some criticism. One player that has avoided criticism and in my opinion has been disappointing for a while is Marjamaki. He looked like a real crowd favourite early on but he’s been flat for several weeks now. He’s the type of player that can turn the momentum of a game but he just hasn’t looked up for it lately. Hopefully we see the real Marjamaki sooner rather than later
After a bright start in pre-season/early CHL games, I just don’t know what he offers at the moment. He’s been a shadow of the player we saw initially. Is he being told to reign in the hitting? I just don’t get it.

I hate to say but I feel Fournier isn’t having the best start to the season. He seems to be giving the puck away quite a lot in his own zone. I really hope he can pick up his form because last season he was one of the best players in the whole league!

Devilsatw

Every year it takes up till Xmas to sort the lines out!! Majority of these players have been together 3/4 years or more.

Surely lord knows by now who Martin wants on his line and who Myers etc do too.

Excuses after excuses.

Ohhhh nd where Charles linglet this season?? Has he even arrived?

ASHIPP

Afraid too many players are shadows of their former selves at the moment. Seemed like world beaters in first few weeks of the season with all lines building decent chemistry and partnerships. Not now. Surely, even with injuries and absences it is still common sense to keep as many of those partnerships together and working as possible?

Joey truly is the GOAT in this Club and the League. But is the responsibility of Captaincy this season stifling his on-ice genius? Baffles me why Riley or Dixon didn't take on that mantle and Joey could get on with being the impact talisman that he has always been.

Slartibartfast

I seem to see it differently to everyone else. To me this was not a dreadful performance. One goal and an overtime win and i think the forum vibe would be very different.
We had most of the possession and most of the territory. BUT the same thing happened as in most of our losses. We get lots of scoring opportunities in the first but can't bury it. Then in frustration the D push deeper and we get caught out at the back.
Sometimes I think we must practice hitting the post or over the bar and we always seem to be looking for the perfect goal.
Just shove Myers or Dixon in front of the net, throw the puck in and the goals will come. They don't have to be pretty.

I thought the chemistry was better than previous games but it is still not what it needs to be. I think this is due to the constantly changing lines. It is going to take time to settle again. We need some line stability.

I believe we have the right players but Lord has a challenge to get the best out of them as a team.

Wannabe2

I am still convinced we scored in the 1st period, and am sure the puck hit the padded area at the inner back of the goal, most people sat with me thought the same, we are in a great area to see goals at that end. Would not have made a difference to a lousy game, but was surprised it wasn’t raised on the night.

august04

I seem to see it differently to everyone else. To me this was not a dreadful performance. One goal and an overtime win and i think the forum vibe would be very different.
I disagree. I think even an OT win would have left most people flat and disappointed after a poor display and a dull game like that. While I want to win as much as most, it’s not the be all and end all for me. I want to at least feel like l’ve been entertained a little. That was like watching paint dry (and I’m sure many others among the 3000 strong crowd felt that way too) and I really don’t know how you can say the chemistry was better. I thought we were all over the place and agree with Ocko, that the Myers, Batch and Duggan line looked the most balanced (yet their ice time is not what it should be). King, Kelman and Lord told us all that we’d have a younger, faster and more physical team this year and we started the season looking like that was the case. But we’ve gone into our shells this past few weeks and look like a shadow of the team that started the season. What has happened? I’m sure it will improve tonight after a rocket up their arses and the Nottingham crowd will see an improved Devils performance - just a shame we didn‘t do it last night for our own crowd who paid their hard earned money to watch that debacle.

Mazzoak

I’m fully expecting a win in Nottingham tonight and a totally different team ice.

Having said that for me there are issues and have been for a number of years. This is a repeat of previous years, players turn up, fresh from there previous teams & hit the first few games well. Fans comment how stoked the team is on the Inferno, how great the team is stacked. Then boom, forward a month or two, fans are scratching their heads as too how we’ve lost that initial impact.
As the league moves forward, as teams improve, these issues become more and more obvious. The club is so, so lucky it has the fan base it does. It tolerates issues other sports & clubs wouldn’t. Mega Monday’s, crap rink facilities, poor parking, shirt issues, fan shop issues. l see the same in the way players are managed and coached. I see a club who recruit on the back of player recommendation, lack of player recruitment knowledge & team needs. Lack of development, lack of strategic thinking, dynamic reaction & severe lack of player management. Add that to a policy of retaining under performing players. What you get is a club who’s performance has as much to do with the oppositions than their own.

Controversial l know, that’s how l see it.