Devils Vs Manchester Storm - Sun 24 Sep 2017 - League - Chat/Updates

ASHIPP

A very matter-of-fact match report on the website. Auger hattrick - surely if he was identified as a scoring threat a system could have been implemented to deal with him?

Hope there are very few interviews or press releases this week. Now isn't the time to read cliches and reasons for poor performances. The only job for thr coaches and team this week should be to get back to basics and try to turn around some of these issues.

Much harder to walk the walk than talk the talk. This season is showing that there is no room for error, no easy games .Takes a special team full of spirit, chemistry, skill and hard slog to become champions. But it takes an extra special team to stay champions.

bb1

The point isn't all about Bordy it's the fact we have no character/player like him that can stir things up and cause a dent.

Yes we beat Davos but the Euro style is different from Storms.
Steelers had the better of us in much of that game and the Panthers had us physically regardless of the score lines plus Bowns pulled off some of the best saves we've witnessed in our league! The fact is when things aren't going our way which player is going to take the game by the scruff and change it up. Moore tried tonight and without doubt put plenty to shame.

Bordy is gone and not coming back. I’m hugely disappointed in this team as it is. Yes it’s still early days but they don’t seem happy on the ice, no chemistry and very negative. Seems like there are some behind the scenes issues.
I’m sure Mr King and co will be in very close contact this week demanding answers and explanations.
This will not last with our coach and owners being who they are but it needs to be repaired immediately.
I trust this management since they took over, they haven’t let us down so far and believe they will find a way to sort the current issues out.

Lord is to nice a guy he will say it's all his fault instead of blaming players...
Kelman is the only one who says what's on his mind and God I hope something changes soon.

Wait till players turn up around Xmas time is laughable let them gel etc u say..

Ok well IL save around 200 pound in money and see everyone at Xmas and I guarantee it will be the same shower of shit unless changes are made

DevilDom

A rude awakening for the Devils over the past few weeks - as champions every game is a big game as the opposition want to lay a marker down and raise their game and we therefore can't take it easy any night. Saying that as well as MK, Storm & Guildford have played Devils have had periods in each game where they have been truly awful. We have no Devine right to win games and must put the work in every night.

We have failed to gel as a team yet and I think we a struggling to find our identity. The European experience has probably played a big part in that with having to play 2 completely different styles.

I do think that at EIHL level we are missing some of last years players & the majority of the new guys as well as some of the old have not found the right level yet. They definitely need more time but they also need to have their roles clearly defined to them and dare I say it the luxury of playing on settled lines for a few weeks.

I know it's Lord's style & he did it last year and it worked, especially in the 2nd half of the year but the constant chopping and changing of lines and breaking up successful lines puzzles the hell out of me. Ulmer, Asselin & Haddad were our best line in the stretch last year but have been broken up. The Myers, Lord, Faryna line has worked well but rarely seen. Successful Defensive partnerships have been messed around with too. I know injuries play a part but this should be for pre-season or as a last resort.

Players wise - we are missing the energy of Brine (particularly on the PK) and the steadying influence of Scott Hotham as much as we are missing the presence of Bordy.

The coaching staff have work to do and they have to do it quickly. I trust Lord to get it right.

There were around 3 players that seemed to want to be there last night, Moore, Fournier and Haddad. I don't know how Reddick is getting the ice time as he is absolute crap. The boys seriously need to look at what is going wrong in the PK & PP and start there. I agree, we are missing someone like Bordy acting as a deterrant and with the amounts of shots on goal and only one going in is bonkers. Seriously need to buck their ideas up

ASHIPP

The most successful teams in any business require more than an excellent leader driving the team. That person can't do it all on their own. It requires everyone's support and abilities.

Not only does the team need to focus on their overall objective and what is required to achieve it. Individuals need clearly defined roles and to understand how their contribution helps achieve the overall objective, interacting and supporting eachother.

Whilst having the ability to adapt to changing situations, a period of routine is often the best way to review individual's strengths and weaknesses....and suitability to the role.

The 'window of opportunity' deadline will dictate the length of time to 'fix things' or make decisions.

jimmy snels

Right up there with the worst games I've watched live and I've watch some pretty bad ones!
Start with the positives:
*louis stuck up for a team mate. Good to see.
*moore made more hits in his limited shifts than the rest of his team mates did all night. See how engaged the crowd got on the back of that 19th minute shift? 3 big hits (plus one from batch), swung momentum and we actually exerted some pressure and got the crowd involved.
*murdy still looks a good back up.

Ok so onto the rest:
*ulmer looks exactly like he did start of last year. In fact he actually looks worse as he is looking to avoid contact which led a number of times to just turning the puck back over rather than trying to actually start a play. I wont be prepared as a fan to wait til January for a player to turn up again.
*cowder is not good enough. Quite why we signed him im not sure unless he's got naked pictures of lordo stashed away. To think this is brines replacement is unbelievable almost. I find it hard to fathom why you would sign a lower level player after not playing for a year. In assalins case he we would never of got a player of his level if he'd not had a year out so a completely different case before the happy clappers pick up on that one. Lord played with him 7 years ago (as did hotham). Time to get new contacts not drag up mates from years gone by imo. Also as coach there comes a point where it must be difficult i appreciate in letting people go, especially when you've played with them a long time. There are a couple of players who have stayed where others have gone that im sure a lot of fans will agree could and probably should have been the other way round.
*we dont have an actual game changer on fwds. I wont pick who but for me batch should go to D, and get two or even three new fwds that make a much tougher, faster line that can pk. Regardless of whats said bordy and brine (with jones or piggot) didnt get scored on very often and that line used to turn the momentum when needed. Moore is doing his bit (what was piggots job) he just needs team mates to help him.
*pk was awful again whilst on pp we couldnt create space inspite of having a huge ice pad and supposedly pp experts brought in for this role. We go through the same routine over and over again and for me we waste far to much time cycling the puck around the boards and not just getting people in front of the net and forcing it home. It certainly worked against us last night!

I will happily post how wrong i was if this team suddenly turns into a hard nosed, fast paced team. I hope they do!!

Johnnybravo1927

ok my take on things ( for what its worth). I have waited over night as last night I would have written some angry rant that would may me look like an idiot (or bigger idiot than normal anyway).

We were very poor last night but there are a few things to remember,
Manchester Storm are a very decent side this year, they have a very good squad with lots of strong lines. They will do well this year and good luck to them,

We were poor last night but we are not a poor team. Last season we were easily the best team in the league and we haven't changed the squad hugely. We still have a very good team and will have a very good season this year, but lots of players are not playing well. Martin and Haddad who are usually brilliant and very consistent have been poor, Louis is not producing and the new guys are not playing well either but this will change.

Confidence seems to be an issue at the moment but at 1 stage something will click and we will be to being the devils of last season. We haven't played well at all this season (Davos game aside) and some results have flattered us but the 'Arena' teams are all dropping points and the so called lower teams are out fighting us as they want it more but in the end class will tell.

Regarding players, last week Crowder was superb yet this week everyone wants him gassed, same as Reddick. The jury is out on Reddick but I don't think for 1 minute that he will get gassed, that isn't how Lord does it. Rightly or wrongly that's his style. I do think we miss a scott Hotham type player but that's the way the squad is this season, he and Brine were both hugely underrated last season and I wish we could have retained them or replaced them with similar. Regarding Bordeleau I don't see that he would have made any difference last night anyway. We weren't bullied last night we were out played and out battled by a team that wanted it more. He could have put on some big checks but Moore did that anyway and at a much lower wage. Even if Rosehill was dishing it out last night then Bordeleau wouldn't have fought him anyway. Personally I am glad to see the back of him as he did nothing to justify his huge wage and refusing to fight when he was brought in to do that completely undermines the management.

Koop11

First off, well done to Manchester. They had a game plan and executed in well, especially in the absence of their coach (congratulation to Finnerty and his wife). I thought they held the blue line well and whilst playing the body, they weren’t overly aggressive and were happy to see us get frustrated and take the penalties (although what was the Haddad call all about, please!). Decent looking team and at home I think will win a lot of games.

On our part, there was a lack of intensity and sloppy plays. Credit to the ‘4th’ line. Our best line by far. Batch and Moore playing the body, forcing the Storm into their own end. Bownsy was unlucky to get pulled (arguably our best player so far this season) but I think the change in netting was to try and shake things the bench up. Unfortunately it seems to have little effect.

With regard to the us more generally, we have a group of talented individuals but appear to struggle playing as a team. Other than the Davos game, we have not looked like a complete unit. For large parts of last weekend’s big wins over Sheffield and Nottingham I felt we were second best. For whatever reason there seems to be a real lack of bite. We have little penetration going forward, only a couple of players are fore checking and there are a lot of players floating around. Do we have a style? I’m not sure players are on the same page of how we are supposed to be playing.

Without getting into the Bordy debate, we are clearly missing a shark on the ice that keeps players honest and forcing the turnovers. Zero intimidation so far this year. This was always my fear with the team we have signed.

The encouraging thing is that it’s very early days into the domestic season. The ‘big’ rivals have also dropped points so nothing that can’t be rectified quickly. They say it’s harder to defend a championship when you’ve won it. I have no doubt that will be the case this season.

Milky

Regarding Bordeleau I don't see that he would have made any difference last night anyway. We weren't bullied last night we were out played and out battled by a team that wanted it more. He could have put on some big checks but Moore did that anyway and at a much lower wage. Even if Rosehill was dishing it out last night then Bordeleau wouldn't have fought him anyway. Personally I am glad to see the back of him as he did nothing to justify his huge wage and refusing to fight when he was brought in to do that completely undermines the management.
Couldn't disagree more about Bordys effect on a game.

I can't understand people thinking we weren't bullied (and haven't been in a number of games this season - did you go to Guildford?). Lot's of big checks, niggly off the puck stuff and verbals throughout the game from Manchester last night. When this happens and you are out battled physically, isn't that what being bullied is? Not having a go here but I'm interested in understanding what people would consider 'being bullied' in this context?

Yes Bordy didn't fight much (and i'm as much disappointed about that as you) but can't think of many games where we had to put up with much funny business last season. All of our offensive players seemed to have a good few extra feet on the ice. This year we seem under pressure a hell of a lot more on the puck.

If you judge Bordy by number of fights then yes he didn't deliver. If you judge him by his game changing hits, the space he created for our players and the panic he he put on the opposition D men (countless pucks dumped when he started bearing down on them) then his contribution was massive. He sold tickets and put bums on seats. I posted on another thread and someone else has done it on this one, look at our fights last year compared to previous years. Only 17 fights last year speaks volumes. Listen to McGrattens interview back in Canada over the summer where at one point he discusses Bordy. Think he knows what he's on about.

Would I have had him back? Good question. Apparently he was on a lot of money so that's a business case which none of us are privy to the details.

However, if you make the call to not re-sign him, then you either need to replace him with a player of similar capacity or (and this is what looks like is happening) be prepared to have a hard physical slog all season where everyone has to step up. Unfortunately it doesn't look like we're stepping up. Don't buy into this team toughness either.

To me it seems our top guns aren't performing as well as last year. An example of which is Asselin who is nowhere near the level of player we saw last year. There are too many in that category at the moment. However, they're too good to not turn it around so long term I think we'll be alright. Seems like we're having a poor run of form and are in a rut.

But for me I think we got recruitment wrong. I was massively underwhelmed with the signings this summer. Pope though has impressed (Faryna definitely tries) but I don't think we've really upgraded the squad. Crowder seems very hot and cold, glimpses of class like last week against Nottingham but then lots of mediocrity. Reddick, nope not for me. Paris has an injured hip which is affecting him. Moore is a good signing, been impressed with him.

But Ulmer and Mo look passed it. They're really great guys so not a knock on them as individuals, but it looks like time has finally caught up with them.

Actually I wasn't surprised by the result last night. If you take the season as a whole the two best performances were the pre season against Krefield and the CHL against Davos. Great 4 point weekend last weekend yes, but we were lucky (and yes I know, winning when you're not playing well is the sign of a champion). But we were under the cosh for long periods against Nottingham and from the middle of the second period against Sheffield we were easily second best and it took a lucky bounce to win the game (not complaining, will take a win over those orange numpties any way, shape or form, especially in their barn).

I have faith in the team and Lordo (there are way too many good players to panic) but we need to improve and quickly. This season will be much harder than last and as champions every team is gunning for us. I hope the players realise that every game will be like a cup final for the other teams.

Sorry for the rant, lots going through my mind. Lets Go Devils!

Johnnybravo1927

Couldn't disagree more about Bordys effect on a game.

I can't understand people thinking we weren't bullied (and haven't been in a number of games this season - did you go to Guildford?). Lot's of big checks, niggly off the puck stuff and verbals throughout the game from Manchester last night. When this happens and you are out battled physically, isn't that what being bullied is? Not having a go here but I'm interested in understanding what people would consider 'being bullied' in this context?

Yes Bordy didn't fight much (and i'm as much disappointed about that as you) but can't think of many games where we had to put up with much funny business last season. All of our offensive players seemed to have a good few extra feet on the ice. This year we seem under pressure a hell of a lot more on the puck.

If you judge Bordy by number of fights then yes he didn't deliver. If you judge him by his game changing hits, the space he created for our players and the panic he he put on the opposition D men (countless pucks dumped when he started bearing down on them) then his contribution was massive. He sold tickets and put bums on seats. I posted on another thread and someone else has done it on this one, look at our fights last year compared to previous years. Only 17 fights last year speaks volumes. Listen to McGrattens interview back in Canada over the summer where at one point he discusses Bordy. Think he knows what he's on about.

Would I have had him back? Good question. Apparently he was on a lot of money so that's a business case which none of us are privy to the details.

However, if you make the call to not re-sign him, then you either need to replace him with a player of similar capacity or (and this is what looks like is happening) be prepared to have a hard physical slog all season where everyone has to step up. Unfortunately it doesn't look like we're stepping up. Don't buy into this team toughness either.

To me it seems our top guns aren't performing as well as last year. An example of which is Asselin who is nowhere near the level of player we saw last year. There are too many in that category at the moment. However, they're too good to not turn it around so long term I think we'll be alright. Seems like we're having a poor run of form and are in a rut.

But for me I think we got recruitment wrong. I was massively underwhelmed with the signings this summer. Pope though has impressed (Faryna definitely tries) but I don't think we've really upgraded the squad. Crowder seems very hot and cold, glimpses of class like last week against Nottingham but then lots of mediocrity. Reddick, nope not for me. Paris has an injured hip which is affecting him. Moore is a good signing, been impressed with him.

But Ulmer and Mo look passed it. They're really great guys so not a knock on them as individuals, but it looks like time has finally caught up with them.

Actually I wasn't surprised by the result last night. If you take the season as a whole the two best performances were the pre season against Krefield and the CHL against Davos. Great 4 point weekend last weekend yes, but we were lucky (and yes I know, winning when you're not playing well is the sign of a champion). But we were under the cosh for long periods against Nottingham and from the middle of the second period against Sheffield we were easily second best and it took a lucky bounce to win the game (not complaining, will take a win over those orange numpties any way, shape or form, especially in their barn).

I have faith in the team and Lordo (there are way too many good players to panic) but we need to improve and quickly. This season will be much harder than last and as champions every team is gunning for us. I hope the players realise that every game will be like a cup final for the other teams.

Sorry for the rant, lots going through my mind. Lets Go Devils!

good post and a lot of interesting things said. I agree with a lot of what you say but I still stand by my comments about Bordeleau.There is a reason he is now playing in such a poor league this season. There were times last season where players did take liberties and he had no interest in fighting, when you consider he was signed exactly to do that then for me its unacceptable. Moore threw some lovely hits last night and Batch is as tough as anyone in the league and ready to back Moore up as shown last week with Farmer. We are look a team that's a bit rudderless at the moment, no doubt we have some injuries that we don't know about but we are misfiring and the league is getting stronger as well. Take Joey Martin as an example, a brilliant player who 2 years ago was head and shoulders the best player in the league, now he is still a brilliant player but doesn't stand out so much due to the improvement in the league. That's not a go at Joey Martin as he is a brilliant player who would be the 1st name of most teamsheets but its an example of how the league has moved on.

lots of players are underperforming and there is no leadership at present. Normally when we go under you see Lord play huge minutes and drag us back into it and last night he didn't do that for whatever reason. I suspect there are injuries and also Lord puts a lot of pressure on himself to win. We will bounce back, we will get it right and we will (neck on the block here) win the league again. We were appalling last night but we are a better team than that. Reddick is the only player who gives me any real concern though, I think Crowder will get there, I thought Mo has been ok anyway, Ulmer is very quiet again but will find his form. Its not so much Reddicks fault its more the point that we have a team of attacking D men and no blueline D man. No way will anyone get gassed but I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign another stay at home D man.

I was behind the bench last night and have never seen Lord so agitated. Half way through the third period he gave Fournier a right mouthful as Fournier came back to the bench. Fournier sat down and Lord turned to him and let him have it again. At this point Fournier (who I thought was our best player) lost it and in frustration threw a towel at Lord. Lord was not happy said something to Fournier again then looked away. I do wonder if there is a bit of frustration in the camp. Hopefully it was just two competitive guys blowing off a bit of steam. I think it was just a case of out thought and out fought last night.

august04

I was behind the bench last night and have never seen Lord so agitated. Half way through the third period he gave Fournier a right mouthful as Fournier came back to the bench. Fournier sat down and Lord turned to him and let him have it again. At this point Fournier (who I thought was our best player) lost it and in frustration threw a towel at Lord. Lord was not happy said something to Fournier again then looked away. I do wonder if there is a bit of frustration in the camp. Hopefully it was just two competitive guys blowing off a bit of steam. I think it was just a case of out thought and out fought last night.
He went ballistic with Reddick too in the 3rd period after he’d given up yet another turnover in the corner. Quite right too and not before time.

Aside from one game where he played ok, I've been saying since the first game of pre-season, Reddick needs to go. He's rubbish! I hate saying this also, but Mo is completely anonymous :( he just shows no flare at all anymore. Maybe he's lost his confidence. The team dynamic is just odd - something isn't right!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disappointing weekend for sure, but hardly cause for panic right now. I'm sure those who know what they are doing, know what they are doing.

Personally, I think Crowder brings value. He seems to win puck battles. He appears to have a lazy style which perhaps sells the idea that he is slow but I don't buy it right now.

Regarding the "Enforcer" role. Personally, I don't subscribe to it, but consider this comment for a moment.

"If you judge him by his game changing hits, the space he created for our players and the panic he put on the opposition D men (countless pucks dumped when he started bearing down on them) then his contribution was massive."
What would the reaction be if this enforcer person was on the opposition and our players were coughing the puck up due to someone bearing down on them.?

Foxy

Reddick hasnt got the size to be a d man in this league...... hes fast, hes got good vision but can be too easily pushed around on D. I said it last weekend and i'll say it again Batch is better on D. Moore was the only one playing with any passion and throwing the hits yet hes the one thats gets limited ice time. and for god sake give the lines time to gel.........

See Crowder i like and i think hes getting better and why Lord was having a go at Fournier i dont know i thought he was the best D man out there. Brine, Scott Hotham and Culligan were always going to be big boots to fill and i dont think we've matched there calibre not even close

bb1

The fact is we don't want Bordy back but we want someone who can do what he did. Anybody who cannot see what he did for us last year in my opinion has a very sheltered outlook on hockey games.
Janssen wasn't a majestic skilful guy but Panthers won 2 trophies with him that year.......

Can people seriously not see what these type of players give to a team!