Will British icehockey last?

Thread starter #1
A few questions I would like to ask.

As we all know every year the budget goes up and up and up with most clubs.
Obviously players demand more wages and owners shed out extra cash.

In 5 to 10 years will we be able to pay these players top top wages?

Will Dundee Fife etc still be able to compete?

Surely it will come to a stand still?

Its not the best sport in the UK and was wondering where the income for the clubs would come from.

Temme

The cost of Season tickets and sponsorship and exposure will go up in-line with wage/budget demands, as it always has done in any business.

"Its not the best sport in the UK and was wondering where the income for the clubs would come from."

It may not be the BIGGEST sport in the UK but it certainly is the best!

Wannabe2

This sport costs has increased dramatically over the last 10 yrs, but however it’s as strong if not stronger than ever, so therefore why shouldn’t this trend continue. As for it not being the best sport in the UK, that’s a matter of opinion, and tons of people like me think it is by a country mile. Also our sport is the most watched indoor sport in the UK. So Devils have been here since 1986, that’s 32 yrs with a few wobbles, but what’s to say another 32 yrs is easily achieved.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS.

Thread starter #4
Sorry didn't mean its not the best sport I meant not the most popular.

I understand prices of tickets etc increase but how much r u willing to pay to watch the sport. Regular game and the standed of hockey I would say no more than 20 pound.

Thanks for the replies.

Gaz G

Interesting post actually.

My wife and I met at the old WNIR and have travelled all over Britain supporting the team but since we moved to the Valleys and had children, a night at the Devils is frankly too expensive to justify it. All up with petrol, tickets, a drink and a bite to eat it's a £100 per game. As such we haven't been to a game for 2 years.

Obviously this is an example but one I feel might be worth consideration moving forward.

Wannabe2

£48 for 2 Adults and 2 children to watch a professional team, playing a professional sports, is far from expensive. It’s surely the same for everyone,entry fee, food drink, surely your only other cost is fuel, maybe £10. It’s not cheap to pay for 4 people to go anywhere today. City are now in the Premiership wonder what the cost for 4 would be there, if you could park, and keep away from away fans etc. There’s a very true saying, pay £5 to watch your team, and you will get a £5 team, who picks up the slack.

Gaz G

£48 for 2 Adults and 2 children to watch a professional team, playing a professional sports, is far from expensive. It’s surely the same for everyone,entry fee, food drink, surely your only other cost is fuel, maybe £10. It’s not cheap to pay for 4 people to go anywhere today. City are now in the Premiership wonder what the cost for 4 would be there, if you could park, and keep away from away fans etc. There’s a very true saying, pay £5 to watch your team, and you will get a £5 team, who picks up the slack.
How very dare you tell me what is affordable or not. You really are an ignorant so and so at times. You have absolutely no idea what goes on in anyone elses lives and where their money is spent so do not have the audacity to sit there and tell me what is or isn't affordable.

Kevlar68

There are lesser watched sports still surviving in the UK and have been for many years, so ice hockey will always be around but may just not be able to afford the best players but it will be there in some form or another.

Fife been going since 1938

Wannabe2

How very dare you tell me what is affordable or not. You really are an ignorant so and so at times. You have absolutely no idea what goes on in anyone elses lives and where their money is spent so do not have the audacity to sit there and tell me what is or isn't affordable.
So sorry I certainly didn’t mean to upset you, that certainly wasn’t my intention, I was just saying that sport comes at a cost, and was feeling sad that you no longer follow what you enjoyed. I think our wires are crossed here, I most certainly don’t know what goes on in other peoples lives, that’s for sure. My comments were that following this sport isn’t expensive compared to other activities. Shame you took my comments the way you did, as they most certainly weren’t aimed at annoying you. It’s just a fact that nothing is cheap these days, but hockey is still cheap compared to other things. Hopefully you might now understand that this wasn’t a dig at you, why would I do that. It must be a tough not following our team, I was just saying that it comes at a cost for everyone.

Gaz G

So sorry I certainly didn’t mean to upset you, that certainly wasn’t my intention, I was just saying that sport comes at a cost, and was feeling sad that you no longer follow what you enjoyed. I think our wires are crossed here, I most certainly don’t know what goes on in other peoples lives, that’s for sure. My comments were that following this sport isn’t expensive compared to other activities. Shame you took my comments the way you did, as they most certainly weren’t aimed at annoying you. It’s just a fact that nothing is cheap these days, but hockey is still cheap compared to other things. Hopefully you might now understand that this wasn’t a dig at you, why would I do that. It must be a tough not following our team, I was just saying that it comes at a cost for everyone.
We/ I still follow the Devils. As I said, my wife and I met whilst watching them at the WNIR.

It's great that the club are selling out every week. However with one of our amazing children needing x amount of money for a school trip to Barcelona for a week and the other needing x amount of money for a school trip to Disney Land, the Devils just can't happen for us anymore.

We know we aren't the only fans to have had to stop watching but any normal parent would make the sacrifice for their children.

I think examples like this are actually appropriate for the thread too.

Wannabe2

I thought you must still follow events, it’s a life style once you start as you so obviously know. And what a blast it was hockey that led to you meeting your wife, this club has had a huge impact on many peoples lives. Webcast’s must be a god send sometimes, and we certainly have one of the best fortunately. Anyway my friend let’s leave on a happy note, we have a huge thing in common, our love for this great sport, and our passion for this great club. Hope your little ones have the best trips ever.

Finny

In Glynne's defence he seemed to be suggesting you'd got your costs wrong rather than criticising your version of what is affordable or not.
I too was a bit confused as to where the £100 comes from when 2 adults and 2 children = £48.
Obviously you need to add petrol too but that still means a lot spent on food and drinks, which isn't really 'British Ice Hockey's fault, is it?

pjj365

In Glynne's defence he seemed to be suggesting you'd got your costs wrong rather than criticising your version of what is affordable or not.
I too was a bit confused as to where the £100 comes from when 2 adults and 2 children = £48.
Obviously you need to add petrol too but that still means a lot spent on food and drinks, which isn't really 'British Ice Hockey's fault, is it?
It's not society's fault that people have to eat - true. It is though something to factor in to ones ability to afford to attend games.

Assume a Sunday game kids will need to eat before the game and maybe a snack on the way back. You can add at least £20-£25 for a MacDs for 4 and that is better value than IAW food

It's not that difficult to reach about £100

Finny

But if they weren't going to the game they'd still need to eat and that would still cost something.
Obviously not as much as eating out, but I still think it's misleading to say it costs £100 a game to the hockey.
Yes - it can cost that much if you do a lot of extra spending, but that really is optional.

I went to games when I was a kid and we simply had a big meal before we went to the game.

Seems to me that Wannabe is making the very valid point that, if you compare it to other professional sports, it is relatively inexpensive. It isn’t necessarily affordable for everyone, which is a shame in itself, but it’s far better value than football or rugby.

Devil_Abroad

It's not society's fault that people have to eat - true. It is though something to factor in to ones ability to afford to attend games.

Assume a Sunday game kids will need to eat before the game and maybe a snack on the way back. You can add at least £20-£25 for a MacDs for 4 and that is better value than IAW food

It's not that difficult to reach about £100
Why eat out? Sandwiches are much cheaper and more nutritional. However, it is a choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk