Who we want and don’t want back for next season

kingmo19.1

I don’t think we ever argued. You say silly stuff, keep getting proven wrong and you keep going. That’s not arguing, that’s wonderful persistence on your part and credit to you for it sweetheart. I could never mute you, you complete me.

Tell me again about Pride…..;)
Oh, stop flirting you two! :)

The way it’s going I think this could be the seed for the first Inferno marriage!

Kozun is a very capable goal tender when he is on form and I'm sure he is only going to get better but if carruth is replaced by an import, that will be 2 import slots used on goaltenders again

jenks33

Kozun is a very capable goal tender when he is on form and I'm sure he is only going to get better but if carruth is replaced by an import, that will be 2 import slots used on goaltenders again
I can definitely see Bowns coming back. I know we like to laugh and joke about the rumours sites on twitter but that UK Ice Hockey rumours page rarely gets things wrong. As somebody said yesterday (I think it was Devil94) maybe Bowns was off to Nottingham next season before Doucet was sacked. If Bowns does come back it will be interesting to see who the other goalie will be. I’m sure we’d all love a top import goalie + Bownsy but that will be expensive.

Rempel16

I can definitely see Bowns coming back. I know we like to laugh and joke about the rumours sites on twitter but that UK Ice Hockey rumours page rarely gets things wrong. As somebody said yesterday (I think it was Devil94) maybe Bowns was off to Nottingham next season before Doucet was sacked. If Bowns does come back it will be interesting to see who the other goalie will be. I’m sure we’d all love a top import goalie + Bownsy but that will be expensive.
I think all opinions on here aside, if Bowns is our goalie then he's likely to be playing 80-90% of games. So rather than use the wages on a second import nettie (and we know Bowns won't be cheap) I'd like to see us take a chance on Brython Preece - with Bowns mentoring him.

Not that I'm sold on Bowns returning....

Slartibartfast

Ok here goes

Defo keep:-
Register
Coughler
Cox
Sandford
Batch
Richie
Waller (but needs more ice time and development to reach his full potential)
Dixon but on lower line

Dont mind either way:
Louis
Davies
Duggan
Crandall
Reid (great scorer but not so strong all round so didn't make the defo list)
McNulty (didn't see him for long enough to make the defo list but I hope he stays as he settled the team when he played)
Brandt (such a loveable character I cant put him on the release list even if there are a lot better out there. He is also very young so will only get better and improved a lot with the ice time Dupont gave him)

Release:-
McNally (great character but 22 points in 47 games is not enough for an import)
Dupont (as player). Not sure about him as coach either but he may have proved me wrong with the playoff win
Lammon (works really hard but theres a lot better out there)

Looking at how good Belfast were this season I think we would need to change a few on my don't mind list to compete next season but I could not bring myself to put any of them on the release list. I really grew to like this team despite the ups and downs

Devil94

Why do we think Bowns will want to play nearly all the games? He did so previously as it was necessary, not just for him but all EIHL goalies, due to the standards of the back up. Now we see the top teams have a 1a and a 1b it's not a necessity anymore.
If we get Kozun back or similar, I'm sure Bownsy would have no issues playing less games that he used to. I'm fact, I think he'd be quite happy about it.

jenks33

Bownsy’s ability doesn’t worry me, It’s his hunger/motivation to win more EIHL trophies that concerns me. He spent 6 seasons in Cardiff and won it all, I’m not convinced a couple of years away has suddenly wetted his appetite for the EIHL again.

And that’s not a criticism. I’d possibly feel exactly the same had I played nearly 400 games for a club (not even his hometown club) and had already won everything I wanted to win at that level.

Talented Forwards/defencemen can arguably get away with not being fully dialled in. I’m not sure goalies can

Kevlar68

I personally would like to see fresh blood coming in to the team with some return players from this season but not players from previous Devils teams apart from Fournier maybe, we didn't have a defenceman this season who sling shots around the net and breaks out at speed.
Previous players were great for us while they were here and worked well with Lord.
We'll be in third season since they left, Lord isn't here to coach them, they're older, maybe slower, maybe lost a bit of edge, maybe hampered by more injuries, stepping back for them may not be the best of options in their mind set and they may not be the type of player the new coach would want for their style of play.
To step back would be a fan pleaser yes but a good decision for a team that wants to evolve and better themselves moving forward, I'm not so sure.
Because we won trophies with these players doesn't mean we need them back to win trophies again.
All we need is the right recruitment from the start and no need to look to past players.
Bowns, Hotham, Martin, Myers etc all outstanding players for the Devils cause but we have to improve on them if possible with every recruitment drive as our competitors will be.
As others said maybe bring them back for lower third, fourth line and second nettie if anything.

Last edited:

ASHIPP

Ben's achievements and credentials are not in question. His successes are respected. If Bowns returns, I would like to think it is because Devils are his first choice.....and not because (other) options 1, 2 or 3 fell through or didn't materialise. Players who want to be at a Club invest in it be being completely focused and committed during the season. Fans want to watch players who want to be here.

A couple of seasons before lockdown, Ben said in an interview that an option in Europe had fallen through. He stayed at the Devils the following season but it felt at times he wasn't as focused as in previous years. Maybe he wanted to be somewhere else by then?

Last edited:

moggy#9

Totally honest question, not intended as criticism of anyone's opinion:

I've seen a few people comment that they wouldn't be bothered if duggan didn't come back. What is it about duggan that people don't think it's good enough, and what Brit would replace him?

I've always been impressed by duggan, particularly his work rate and shot blocking. In fact I've said elsewhere that I think he could be a future captain - so I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Kevlar68

I would welcome him back, my only criticism is he just needs to give that little bit extra sometimes i feel like he's coasting a little, some games he's everywhere, other games you wouldn't know he was on the ice.
He may have had a niggle those few games or head not in it 100% but yeah i'd have him back.

Talking of brits, Waller, i think sometimes his speed denies his skill as he has both but he skates so fast and just loses it at the end product but again a great addition to our team.

Last edited:

Diablo3

Wouldn't change any of our Brits. We are the envy of a lot of teams in EIHL because of them. Looking back through these posts I do have to wonder what people expect we can get for the sort of money we can afford. I do expect us to lose a few players, mainly to retirement or just not wanted back/don't want to come back, but I don't see wholesale changes next season.

jenks33

Totally honest question, not intended as criticism of anyone's opinion:

I've seen a few people comment that they wouldn't be bothered if duggan didn't come back. What is it about duggan that people don't think it's good enough, and what Brit would replace him?

I've always been impressed by duggan, particularly his work rate and shot blocking. In fact I've said elsewhere that I think he could be a future captain - so I'm wondering what I'm missing.
I’m not sure Davies and Duggan had their best seasons (I know you don’t necessarily agree with that Moggy and that’s completely fair enough) but I still wouldn’t get rid of them. Only other (realistic) Brits I would take would only come here for decent ice time, which we probably couldn’t guarantee them. I’d stick with the Brits we’ve got

Rempel16

Why do we think Bowns will want to play nearly all the games? He did so previously as it was necessary, not just for him but all EIHL goalies, due to the standards of the back up. Now we see the top teams have a 1a and a 1b it's not a necessity anymore.
If we get Kozun back or similar, I'm sure Bownsy would have no issues playing less games that he used to. I'm fact, I think he'd be quite happy about it.
For my opinion- I always felt it was Bowns wanting to play every game, as opposed to the standard of the backup.

If he were to return I think he’d want to do the same, play every minute of every game.

BostonBart22

There’s no doubting he’s a good player Gavevs88 but I’m not sure highlighting his 47 points is the greatest argument. It’s a good total but he’s 22nd in the league in points and about 15th in goals, so nothing spectacular.

Before Coughler came in I was a bit underwhelmed with Cox and Sanford if I’m honest but I do appreciate that they didn’t have a settled line for the first few months. But after their second half of the season it would take a brave man to break the CCS line up next season.

I do see why some fans aren’t completely sold on Sanford tho. I wouldn’t say it’s “mental” that some fans aren’t convinced. Put it this way, I think Coughler and Cox are more valuable to us. Just an opinion tho
The CCS line could match our black line in Matulik, Hodge and Thornton..