jenks33

Must keeps:

Register
Coughler
Crandall
Brandt
All of the Brits

Happy to keep:

If the Coughler, Cox, Sanford line were to return then I feel we'd need to have size elsewhere in the forwards.

Joey Martin and Crandall together would be exciting, but I feel we'd need to replace Reid with a big bodied goal scoring winger (someone in the mould of Sam Herr). As much as I appreciate Reid's sniping ability, I felt at times that he was a little one-dimensional and once teams worked him out his goals dried up somewhat (3 goals in the final 12 league games).

I wouldn't be disappointed to see Mikkelson (retiring) and Louis (what a warrior he's been for us) return.

The third line needs to be a checking line, and if Dixon were to return this is where he should stay. I'd want to see Waller and a big, tough, checking winger alongside them (An Ian Mcintyre clone please).

4th line of Davies, Duggan and Brandt would be fine.

Herr-type and Mcintyre-type would provide the size and grit that we lacked at times.

Thank you for your efforts:

McNally (too hit and miss - he'd follow a good performance with an anonymous performance)
McNulty (did nothing wrong, but is replaceable and upgradeable)
Lammon (again, did nothing wrong, but we can upgrade for sure).
I agree with a lot of that Rempel16. I share the same concerns about our top 6 forwards. It looks likely that Joey Martin is coming back (which is great news) so if our first line is Reid - Martin - Crandall and our second line Cox - Coughler - Sanford, is there enough size/physicality there? Don't get me wrong we would see some fantastic goals with those 6 and if you look at them all individually they're great players at this level. I think you need a player with size on that first line though and you need the right balance. I don't see many dirty goals being scored from those 6 forwards. That's a problem we've faced at times this season against the "lesser" sides. When they sit back and keep us to the outside we've really struggled to score those dirty goals at times.

moggy#9

I agree with a lot of that Rempel16. I share the same concerns about our top 6 forwards. It looks likely that Joey Martin is coming back (which is great news) so if our first line is Reid - Martin - Crandall and our second line Cox - Coughler - Sanford, is there enough size/physicality there? Don't get me wrong we would see some fantastic goals with those 6 and if you look at them all individually they're great players at this level. I think you need a player with size on that first line though and you need the right balance. I don't see many dirty goals being scored from those 6 forwards. That's a problem we've faced at times this season against the "lesser" sides. When they sit back and keep us to the outside we've really struggled to score those dirty goals at times.
Yes, agree. If you look at the shot maps in games where we've struggled, there was very little coming from the slot. We need someone who will drive the net. If Martin takes that first longer centre slot, Reid would need to be replaced by a Sam herr type with some ability to retain the puck.

Rempel16

Even if you look at the Belfast roster for last year, they signed a few players that we know they could have had better, but were restricted by the budget. Jeff Baum and Tyler Soy for example would have been pretty cheap.
So next year, with possibly 3 or 4 extra players for clubs to find to fill the roster, the average budget per player might be even lower. So looking at Brandt and McNulty, with all due respect on the cheaper end of the scale, might be returnees for that reason. They both seem like real characters off the ice and did a steady job on it, so I would prefer to keep then than look elsewhere for players of the same calibre.
This is a really good point actually.... That's part of why I rate Brandt so highly. He's not going to be expensive, making him valuable.

Rempel16

Completely agree. We were nullified all too often this year due to shots being kept to the outside. The balance would be great if we can get the puck deep and win some board battles.

Andrew Lord's teams were probably the best in the EIHL's history at cycling the puck. I don't think we need to swing the pendulum all the way back, but a team with balance between speed and strength could work - the dirty goals would come with that.

Mazzoak

I think we can upgrade in various areas
For next season, however, I wonder whether there Is sufficient £££ in the budget to do so?

If not, I think we could see a fair few returnees from this years team.

Economically, I get the feeling it might be another year or two before we once again ice a really strong league challenging team.
I agree that is probably the plan, it‘ll be sold to fans though as a high budget team that wil aim to win everything and me and EDS will be debating that again next season, assuming he’s not got to upset and muted me….

jenks33

Anyone saying Sanford shouldn't be back is mental. 47 points in 51 games, plus his chemistry with Cox???
There’s no doubting he’s a good player Gavevs88 but I’m not sure highlighting his 47 points is the greatest argument. It’s a good total but he’s 22nd in the league in points and about 15th in goals, so nothing spectacular.

Before Coughler came in I was a bit underwhelmed with Cox and Sanford if I’m honest but I do appreciate that they didn’t have a settled line for the first few months. But after their second half of the season it would take a brave man to break the CCS line up next season.

I do see why some fans aren’t completely sold on Sanford tho. I wouldn’t say it’s “mental” that some fans aren’t convinced. Put it this way, I think Coughler and Cox are more valuable to us. Just an opinion tho

Wannabe2

Totally agree you would have to be loopy loo to break up the CCS line, loved it when they skated all three of them with the play off trophy, if that wasn’t a statement I don’t know what is.

jenks33

I’m sure Blood is good friends with Crandall. Obviously he’s played for us before so there’s already a connection there but if Crandall stays that would surely help in attracting blood back to Cardiff.

E.D.S.

I agree that is probably the plan, it‘ll be sold to fans though as a high budget team that wil aim to win everything and me and EDS will be debating that again next season, assuming he’s not got to upset and muted me….
I don’t think we ever argued. You say silly stuff, keep getting proven wrong and you keep going. That’s not arguing, that’s wonderful persistence on your part and credit to you for it sweetheart. I could never mute you, you complete me.

Tell me again about Pride…..;)

ASHIPP

Anyone saying Sanford shouldn't be back is mental. 47 points in 51 games, plus his chemistry with Cox???
The CCS line had instant chemistry when Coughler joined the Devils. It's incredibly difficult for lines to build that relationship quickly. They were the hardest working unit on the Team. A no brainer to keep them together.