Who we want and don’t want back for next season

jenks33

Even the Matzka, Pelle, Birbraer line was better than the CCS line! And any line Joey Martin was on during his time here. Maybe a controversial opinion but the main reason the CCS line works is because Coughler is so bloody good!

And the Matulik, Hodge, Thornton line was better than all the above.

Last edited:

Mazzoak

Agreed we don't need any "That'll do players" or career extending players just making a quick last buck.
We don’t want any past stars and fan favourites just to sell more season tickets, hopefully we get a coach who not only sets out his role and expectations and Todd sticks with it rather than waiting 95% of the season to pass before deciding he‘s not the Yes man he wanted.

Mazzoak

Wouldn't change any of our Brits. We are the envy of a lot of teams in EIHL because of them. Looking back through these posts I do have to wonder what people expect we can get for the sort of money we can afford. I do expect us to lose a few players, mainly to retirement or just not wanted back/don't want to come back, but I don't see wholesale changes next season.
I would if we could improve on them, our defence was dire this year.

kettdevil1

It could be argued that shots allowed is a more accurate measure of the defence whereas goals conceded is a measure of defence plus goalie.
Indeed although the counter argument is that it doesn't differentiate between quality of shots. The NHL records scoring opportunities (apologies, if the wording is different) but we don't have that in the EIHL.... for me that would be a better measure.

dave

Indeed although the counter argument is that it doesn't differentiate between quality of shots. The NHL records scoring opportunities (apologies, if the wording is different) but we don't have that in the EIHL.... for me that would be a better measure.
There are a couple of teams in the league that track and use that measure amongst others. You see it a lot in football as well the "XG" Figure
We were bang on the xg rate on Sunday and just under on Saturday.

moggy#9

There are a couple of teams in the league that track and use that measure amongst others. You see it a lot in football as well the "XG" Figure
Things have comes a long way since I started compiling +/- for the team in the 90s using pen and paper. ;-)

kettdevil1

That's really interesting - thanks, for me it is a far better measure than SOG

moggy#9

Actually it'd be really interesting to know what sort of information can be mined from the data gathered for the league stats. Indeed I'm sure that the devils themselves gather all sorts of additional info.

OJLloyd

Quite possibly, one of the most ludicrous comments I’ve ever seen on the Inferno!
I like the CCS line but it’s miles off the black line, both individually and collectively.
That seemed like an interesting idea - so let’s look at some stats:

In 1996-97 in the league (a very good year for the Devils):
Matulik - 59 pts (31:28) in 49 games 1.2 ppg
Hodge - 50 pts (17:33) in 41 games 1.2 ppg
Thornton - 31 pts (13:18) in 26 games 1.2 ppg

2021-22 in the league (a good year for the Devils)
Cox - 64 pts (21:43) in 58 games 1.1 ppg
Coughler - 39 pts (24:15) in 37 games 1.1 ppg
Sandford - 54 pts (25:29) in 55 games 0.9 ppg

But the standard of opposition (leaving Sheffield aside for a second) was much, much worse in 96/97.

Bracknell, Newcastle, and Basingstoke we’re made up of some pretty low level players.

And even the big boys were top heavy.

Bit of nostalgia creeping in here and colouring the past a nice rosy tint I think.