who do you want back?

jimmy snels

Thread starter #1
As its been far from good a decent discussion around who you'd like to see back in a devils jersey.

Personally id like to see marsh plumpton lord mac ben batch richie myres and obviously kurka. Add piggot and cj and thats me done. Need to start a new group IMHO

Temme

I guess now that it's the end of the season we can begin silly season! :D :Banana :pickle

All of the brits, excluding Quiney. Batch has come on well this year on D, Quiney not so much...

Kurka
Marsh
Lord
and to hell with it, Kosowski too, he's impressed me. (I can't remember a single goal that HE has cost us, but i'm sure someone will correct me...) *As long as he stops doing a Lyle with the puck behind the net!!!*

I have it reliably that Smith is gone to Braehead, and word around the tent appears to be that Mac and Max are retiring.

Plumton- yeah him too, he's impressed enough with his style of play and drawing penalties!

DevilDom

Out of the imports i would take Marsh. Kurka already signed so ok but i want the kurka from first 5 games not the coasting Kurka from recents weeks. The rest can go back to Hicksville.

Kosowski, Marsh , a fully fit Kurka.

Brits, Myers, Davies Cj, Piggott

As for the rest, too many under performers and undisciplined individuals so no thanks. I am happy for Whis to recruit a team which will hopefully do better than 9th out of 10. Just hope he has the budget given the way we have ended the season and the probable lack of interest in season tickets as a result.

mweller

Whilst it may be odd to say after the depression of last night, I don't think this team is that bad. After the poor start, they really found form in December/January and were beating Sheffield/Nottingham at home easily, and we had the triple header away. I think from 2nd to 9th in the league there's not much difference. A period of injury towards the end saw us lose 6 in a row, just as we were challenging for 5th or 6th, so that probably indicates the problem is depth rather than some of the current players.
Assuming they weren't retiring or off elsewhere I'd keep Kosowski, Marsh, Lord, Kurka, Davies, Piggott, Mo, Max, CJ and maybe Gipters/Steve.
Shows that defence is still the weak spot, which has been the story of the season. We do need that Conboy character without all the match bans (I know that's an oxymoron).

Temme said:
I guess now that it's the end of the season we can begin silly season! :D :Banana :pickle

All of the brits, excluding Quiney. Batch has come on well this year on D, Quiney not so much...

Kurka
Marsh
Lord
and to hell with it, Kosowski too, he's impressed me. (I can't remember a single goal that HE has cost us, but i'm sure someone will correct me...) *As long as he stops doing a Lyle with the puck behind the net!!!*

I have it reliably that Smith is gone to Braehead, and word around the tent appears to be that Mac and Max are retiring.

Plumton- yeah him too, he's impressed enough with his style of play and drawing penalties!

TrueFan15 said:
Temme said:

Kurka
Marsh
Lord

Oh really, that's interesting... I wonder when that will be announced then!? Will be a great shame to see Smith go! A guy who always gives 100% and isn't often recognised for his hard, continual efforts!

Ocko

IMO we are just a few players away from being a good enough team to be amongst the top half. I think our biggest problem this year was not replacing Stuart Macrae. Adding a 60-80 points a year player to this team would make a world of difference, although 9th the gap between us and Nottingham isnt massive and just a few points one big point scorer and we'd be right up there.

Losing Chris Blight was huge for me, we weren't the same team after. We lost Chris Blight the very good player and Chris Blight the popular guy on the team.

Imports I'd keep (in that order too):

Marsh,
Lord,
Kurka,
Faulkner,
Max,
Smith,
Kosowski,
Plumton,

I'd also keep all the British guys as a priority. The rest of the imports are easily replaceable with better quality. I'd add a Macrae type centre, Brad Voth type tough guy and a Jon Pelle type sniper.

Why on earth we signed Martin Gipters I'll never know, he played hardly any games and certainly wasnt deemed good enough. Just like Litmaneanen, why?! Rama, whilst I appreciate he tried his best was definitely not up to EIHL standard. It's just ridiculous that we could have not signed these 3 and kept Blight or got someone decent. Those stupid decisions cost us the play offs, and ironically were not made by the coach.

The majority of the players I wouldnt be too hard on. If we think it's been a crap year as a fan it is probably even worse as a player. We just have to get the motivation to come every week, they had to every day with trying circumstances that may not be limited to; working for someone I doubt they had any respect for (I do not mean Whis), just sacked their mate without reason, maybe owed money, divide between fans, protests outside their games. It just wasnt healthy.

DevilDom said:
Out of the imports i would take Marsh. Kurka already signed so ok but i want the kurka from first 5 games not the coasting Kurka from recents weeks. The rest can go back to Hicksville.
Bit harsh on Kurka maybe?....from what I understand he had been very poorly and to my mind wasn't fully fit when he returned. I think his overall numbers suggest he has done very well.

I also understand that he has a fantastic work ethic and lives and breathes Ice Hockey on and off the ice. "A complete professional" or words to that effect have been relayed to me.

Absolutley agree with you on Marsh. If Faulks does not retire (as some rumours suggest) I would try and bring him back.

Plus let's have some stability in the coaching and let that coach bring in his own players. Whis will have seen enough of what we have had this year to make his own judgement.

For the majority of teams in this league you are only two or three players away from having a successful side. Get the recruitment and mix right and you will do well...get them wrong and you will stuggle.

Most important player....the netminder. I think we had a good one. Just plain bad luck what happened. You are not going to win anything having 5 or 6 netminders playing for you over a season. Just need a bit of luck on that score next year!

Ocko

I dont understand the harsh comments regarding Kurka. He tries as hard as any player IMO, I wouldnt say he has been coasting at all. He hasnt been as effective as he can be but I put that down to nothing more than his illness was quite bad. He seemed to be rushed back too soon to me. His PPG is as good as anyone on our team and would rival most in the league.

It seems Kurka is tarred with being a Pope signing. Whilst I cant stand the man or Ragan and think he has destroyed our club with only his ego at heart it is unfair to put Kurka or any player under the same banner, which I feel a number of posters do.

Sheincar

Kurka is allegedly a done deal so no point in arguing about it. Other than him the guys I'd like to see back are Ben (if he can learn to pass) CJ Piggott Batch Richie & Mo. Think we need a clean slate going into next season. Don't care where the players are from as long as they turn up to play each game & aren't afraid to finish hits. No more lame ducks please like Joonas!!!

Sheincar said:
Kurka is allegedly a done deal so no point in arguing about it. Other than him the guys I'd like to see back are Ben (if he can learn to pass) CJ Piggott Batch Richie & Mo. Think we need a clean slate going into next season. Don't care where the players are from as long as they turn up to play each game & aren't afraid to finish hits. No more lame ducks please like Joonas!!!
Joonas only played 3 games for us, that's hardly a lame duck. I think he could have done well if he had stayed and not been injured. Passed and held the puck quite well from what I saw of him in 3 games.

I'd like to see Blight and Mac back together for one last go at it. Kurka of course as he has signed, marsh and lord are a defo. Kosowski was pretty darn good. Plumton did a grata job at agitating people we just need a tough option to back up his trash talking.

Just looking forward to seeing what Whis can whip up for next season now :)

Ps Brent pope out, Steve Moria in as director of hockey :) Paul ragan to sell club to greenbank.

Sheincar

noodlesboy said:
Sheincar said:
Joonas only played 3 games for us, that's hardly a lame duck. I think he could have done well if he had stayed and not been injured. Passed and held the puck quite well from what I saw of him in 3 games.

I'd like to see Blight and Mac back together for one last go at it. Kurka of course as he has signed, marsh and lord are a defo. Kosowski was pretty darn good. Plumton did a grata job at agitating people we just need a tough option to back up his trash talking.

Just looking forward to seeing what Whis can whip up for next season now :)

Ps Brent pope out, Steve Moria in as director of hockey :) Paul ragan to sell club to greenbank.
He arrived injured; he left injured. Never saw him play once. Lame duck!

Whilst Ragan & Pope here can't envisage Blight coming back.

Wannabe2

Bob Phillips, G& F, Vother, Weller, Macrae, Matzka, Ivan, Macwilliam, Ware, Mcewen,Cullen, Burgoyne, Boh, Norris, Coopers. Oops sorry daydreaming.