When Did You Start Watching?

When did you become a Cardiff Devils fan?

• Early years: 1986-1989

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • Premier Division days: 1990-1995

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • ISL days: 1996-2001

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • BNL and EIHL in WNIR: 2002-2005

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • BBT: 2006-2015

Votes: 14 18.7%
  • Ice Arena Wales: 2016-Present

Votes: 3 4.0%

• Total voters

Slartibartfast

89/90 season. Loved the speed, the skill, the goals, the atmosphere and the victories. In those days Murrayfield Racers were the goon team. I remember a game where Jim Mollard was battering John Lawless. Noone stepped up but the Devils just punished them on the scoreboard. He also crosschecked Steve Moria and gave him whiplash and Moria was out for a few games and wearing a neck brace. You think referees are bad now it was worse in those days. There was no DOPS so Mollard didn't even get a ban. Devils ultimately punished the Racers at Wembley in probably the best UK ice hockey game of all time. (excitement wise). Things are so much better now. The game is faster, more physical, more skillful, more competitive but I still look back at the Heineken era as a magical time.

First watched them on TV during the classic 1990 final against Murrayfield. Lack of internet meant following them was a bit difficult but first came to watch them live at the beginning of the League championship 1996/97 season. 5-1 win against Manchester Storm. Loved everything - exciting, quick sport to watch, fantastic atmosphere and great fans.

Wannabe2

This is a list of people who certainly have been blessed, whether that blessing began in 86, 96, 2006, or 2016, makes no difference whatsoever, or 2017/2018 , it means we have one thing in-common, we found the greatest club on this planet, and it hit a chord with us all. We have all experienced the same thing, a love and passion for OUR GREAT CLUB, and long may it continue.
HAPPY HOCKEY DAYS/

matbur

Only started attending regularly about three years ago and now we're season ticket holders. Coming from Swansea, the team aren't exactly on my doorstep but being an NHL fan, I used to attend one or two games a season without really knowing any of the players etc.

Now, the Devils are a big part of our lives and planning around the fixture list is now the norm. Good team, good management /owners and a real sense of community amongst the fans. It really is something special.

ASHIPP

Was lucky enough to be at an actual NHL game on a holiday in October 1986 and was converted.

First game watching Devils was vs Slough in December 1986. Think they won 11-9 or similar.

I was thrilled Cardiff had its own ice hockey team but Devils barely had enough players to even get a team on the ice at that point. Slough had double the roster size. JL said at the time he realised Devils needed to sign more players but at least it would give the current players a chance to 'improve and show what they are capable of'!!!!!!

Oh John - if only you could have seen how glorious our future was going to be......

Last edited:

Mazzoak

2007 some friends from work dragged me. Been off and on since then, have spent more watching in the new arena though.

Earnie

1987 The kids got us involved.(long story)
Soon after we went to Wembley and won that classic shootout when Tony Hand missed. Been there ever since as STH

Ejercito Rojas

First game was home to Deeside Dragons 1988. I remember they had a huge (fat) d-man who was as mobile as a double wardrobe but liked a bit of the rough stuff!
Also remember games against the Medway Bears were the must see fixtures as they had Luc Chabot at the time and he was a fantastic goal scorer, probably at the time he was the player I would have loved in a Devils jersey!

Think it was 95/96 season, went with a friend who was far more knowledgable than I at the time.

1st game had fights, goals, intensity and a huge 3rd period comeback (like 6 goals or so) but even if we had lost that would not have been my last hockey game.

I remember my first away game vs basingstoke (a few weeks later) because my mate had to explain to me why I, (+ the rest of the away fans) were chanting "you'll always be a beaver".