What's Entertainment?

Thread starter #1
Would like to get thoughts and views from people on what depicts "being entertained" at a devils game. As a season ticket holder for the last two seasons and previously a buy game by game supporter, without missing many home games in the last 10 years or so I've been really disappointed this season by what I consider as a lack of entertainment. On ice, I like to see the devils win, but if I was offered a really entertaining, gritty, close encounter that we won or lost I would take it every time rather than a match such as happened on Wednesday. As a supposed 'Sell Out' where there were lots of empty seats I really enjoyed the first period, and at the end of the game wished I'd left at the end of that period. How many newbies would return after watching that game? If you swapped the periods around and the third was as good as the first then I would think the answer would be lots, but the way the game played out I am not so sure. Quite a boring two periods after a really good first, but the game was won, the two points were in the bag, and so devils just shut it down. Off ice, there is nothing, zorb football when they can drum up two teams for about three minutes, where many a time TK as MC doesn't know if it's going to happen and who is taking part, then "chuck a puck" at £1 a crack which seems to be all about how much £££ can be made, same old 50/50 and SOHB week in week out and little else going on in the period breaks.

In view of clashes with other sporting events (mainly Cardiff City), games missed due to loads more Saturday games than in previous seasons and also early face offs that really mess things up, the cost per game for me has increased significantly. I'd happily pay it to be entertained, when I do get to games, but sadly at the moment it's doubtful I'll be renewing my ST. I am not a glory hunter who supports my local teams when they are winning, I go because they are MY local teams, and NOT because they are winners!

What do others think?

voth26

Some interesting points, what do Cardiff city do at half time that you find so entertaining? With regards to SOHB and Chuck a puck I don't do it every week. Not all games this year have been entertaining but that's sport I guess, it's not just about how the Devil's play as it also depends on how visiting sides set up.

pjj365

The commentator on the Blaze web cast on Boxing Day suggested the game was like chess on ice - and I enjoy that as much as crash bang hockey. At times this season I, and I see others around me, do not cheer or go along with the chants - we sit forward tense and expectant. When we score we do not always stand up and cheer but sink back in our seats with relief. I know this belongs in another thread but pertienant here as we have spare seats either side of us frequently occupied by newbiews - they feel this tension, the join in the chants and cheers and without exception have said they will come back.

As to interval entertainmnet - I am a sinner - I smoke BUT a fair few non-smokers come outside and join in the chat. There is nowhere else in the arena for such a gathering as there is in other bigger arenas

Hedd Wyn John

I don’t come for chuckapuck, Zorb football or whatever. For me it’s the hockey experience & I find that the CHL games were fantastic despite the results. In fact early on at the start of the season there Devils played some of the best hockey & the experience was great. Since we’ve gone through the rough patch with the Entertainment factor has dropped. The team have been flat for a few games and that’s lead to some dull games but overall it’s still a good entertainment experience.

Wannabe2

Would like to get thoughts and views from people on what depicts "being entertained" at a devils game. As a season ticket holder for the last two seasons and previously a buy game by game supporter, without missing many home games in the last 10 years or so I've been really disappointed this season by what I consider as a lack of entertainment. On ice, I like to see the devils win, but if I was offered a really entertaining, gritty, close encounter that we won or lost I would take it every time rather than a match such as happened on Wednesday. As a supposed 'Sell Out' where there were lots of empty seats I really enjoyed the first period, and at the end of the game wished I'd left at the end of that period. How many newbies would return after watching that game? If you swapped the periods around and the third was as good as the first then I would think the answer would be lots, but the way the game played out I am not so sure. Quite a boring two periods after a really good first, but the game was won, the two points were in the bag, and so devils just shut it down. Off ice, there is nothing, zorb football when they can drum up two teams for about three minutes, where many a time TK as MC doesn't know if it's going to happen and who is taking part, then "chuck a puck" at £1 a crack which seems to be all about how much £££ can be made, same old 50/50 and SOHB week in week out and little else going on in the period breaks.

In view of clashes with other sporting events (mainly Cardiff City), games missed due to loads more Saturday games than in previous seasons and also early face offs that really mess things up, the cost per game for me has increased significantly. I'd happily pay it to be entertained, when I do get to games, but sadly at the moment it's doubtful I'll be renewing my ST. I am not a glory hunter who supports my local teams when they are winning, I go because they are MY local teams, and NOT because they are winners!

What do others think?
Okay where do i start, I have been going to Devils matches since game 1 v Ashfield, I watched something completely different to other sports, got hooked and that was me on my 32yr trip. Has the game changed, does the Pope wear a funny hat it has changed massively, just as other sports have, some for better some for worse. Am I still entertained at our gaff, I sure am, yes not every game is a blast who’s games are. Once we watched a crash bang wallop game on small ice, hitting regularly, fighting often, lots of character players who were there to stir it all up, and usually succeeded, we were a very successful team, got regular coverage and were all kushti. We then moved to the tent, signed teams to play a physical game again on small ice, had some pretty neat seasons, and some mediocre ones as well. Again the game big time changed, the knuckle draggers disappeared and the emphasis was more on the skill side of the game, penalties were dished out for hits that were everyday at one time, we now had big ice and the formula of the team had to change, it did and was very successful as it is today. The one thing we have to do, and we do, do,is move on, now anyone who knows me will tell you I was brought up on Rock em Sock em hockey, I love fighting huge hits and in your face hockey, but now I love the speed, the skill is untrue, awesome passes, great goals and super saves. So overall am I entertained, yes thank you, do I need stuff going on in between periods no, it’s nice to talk and see friends, could it sometimes be a little More entertaining, yes what couldn’t but I still love my weekly fix. Is it expensive give me a break, I could be paying what they pay 2 miles down the road to watch a 90 min borefest, as for the last game at home we had the game sewn up in the first, there isn’t one team in this league that wouldn’t have eased off and concentrated more on not picking up injuries, saving a bit of energy for the following game, and not being silly. One final thought, why do new posters on here in the majority have such a negative viewpoint, and pleased don’t say I am a happy clapper, we are still a great team, are pretty financially sound, have a nice home, and are the envy of most,what’s not to be happy about.

Okay where do i start, I have been going to Devils matches since game 1 v Ashfield, I watched something completely different to other sports, got hooked and that was me on my 32yr trip. Has the game changed, does the Pope wear a funny hat it has changed massively, just as other sports have, some for better some for worse. Am I still entertained at our gaff, I sure am, yes not every game is a blast who’s games are. Once we watched a crash bang wallop game on small ice, hitting regularly, fighting often, lots of character players who were there to stir it all up, and usually succeeded, we were a very successful team, got regular coverage and were all kushti. We then moved to the tent, signed teams to play a physical game again on small ice, had some pretty neat seasons, and some mediocre ones as well. Again the game big time changed, the knuckle draggers disappeared and the emphasis was more on the skill side of the game, penalties were dished out for hits that were everyday at one time, we now had big ice and the formula of the team had to change, it did and was very successful as it is today. The one thing we have to do, and we do, do,is move on, now anyone who knows me will tell you I was brought up on Rock em Sock em hockey, I love fighting huge hits and in your face hockey, but now I love the speed, the skill is untrue, awesome passes, great goals and super saves. So overall am I entertained, yes thank you, do I need stuff going on in between periods no, it’s nice to talk and see friends, could it sometimes be a little More entertaining, yes what couldn’t but I still love my weekly fix. Is it expensive give me a break, I could be paying what they pay 2 miles down the road to watch a 90 min borefest, as for the last game at home we had the game sewn up in the first, there isn’t one team in this league that wouldn’t have eased off and concentrated more on not picking up injuries, saving a bit of energy for the following game, and not being silly. One final thought, why do new posters on here in the majority have such a negative viewpoint, and pleased don’t say I am a happy clapper, we are still a great team, are pretty financially sound, have a nice home, and are the envy of most,what’s not to be happy about.
Awesome comments

I also think the skilful defensive game of periods 2 and 3 of Wednesday's game is overlooked - it's not all about putting it the net - it's also the skill levels in keeping it out - Coventry certainly weren't sitting backhand letting us take the win easily
For me entertainment is atmosphere, and iagreewith others who have said we could do with new chants - maybe the fans who travel away could share some of theirs
I agree with you however - win or lose- the entertainment is the game

Wannabe2

Thanks Dragon, I still and always will look forward to watching my team play, the weekends don’t come quick enough to be honest.

Slartibartfast

What do others think?
I think you should probably stop watching. Sounds like you are really not enjoying it.

kingmo19.1

Chuck a puck and Zorb football have run their course I think. They were ok for the first few months but now it’s pretty boring.

I can see why they keep Chuck a puck as it’s probably a £££ spinner for the club and it’s interactive. Zorb football is just drab (probably great if your playing it, but naff to watch).

I’d replace Zorb with ‘Shoot the puck’. Each week, get 3 volunteers, eg in week 1, a volunteer from block 1,2 and 3. Each player gets 2 shots (and no doubt each player would be cheered on loudly by their own block and hopefully booed from the other blocks - so we’re keeping the fan interaction). But here’s where it makes it inteststing for everyone else. Make the prize £100 in week 1, then if nobody wins, it’s increased by another £100 each week.

So if nobody wins it in week 1, week 2 would need another 3 volunteers, this time from blocks 4,5 & 6. And the prize is £200.

The prize keeps increasing and the interest growing until somebody wins it!

Surely that would be more interesting and engaging than Zorb.

(Jeez, you could even have an end of season playoff for all winners throughout the year).

I’ve been watching the games regularly since the WNIR and a season ticket holder since our first season in the BBT. One thing that attracted me to the sport was the fast pace and physicality on the ice. The brand of hockey we adopted in the BBT was usually entertaining, however previous posters on here are right when pointing out the league has changed in terms of skill. Personally I still feel entertained seeing players like Dixon delivering big hits, Haddad relentlessly chasing down every puck that comes his way, Martin squeezing goals in from tight angles, and the astonishing skill of Linglet. In terms of period break entertainment, I’m probably not the best to ask because I’m usually in the bar or chatting with friends rather than concentrating on what’s happening on ice! Although think the chuck a puck is probably very popular with the younger fans. I feel very entertained and am also much happier watching the current team win back to back league titles than I was during the dreadful 2013-14 season where we didn’t even finish high enough to qualify for the end of season playoffs!

hip check

Been following the Devil's since season 1 and was hooked after the first game I saw.
There were some real characters both on and off the ice in those early years. As for the entertainment value at our current home I personally like the zorb football and I think the younger supporters enjoy "chucking their puck", SOHB and 50/50 is not what I would call part of the entertainment just something you participate in as it helps the team financially.
A few games back we had the youngsters on the ice showing their skills and enthusiasm..that was brilliant imo and would like to see it more often, 'shoot the puck' as previously mentioned is another great idea but as we all know the real entertainment is the hockey game that we've all turned up to see, different people like different styles of hockey so the degree of entertainment could depend on that, I enjoy 'blood and thunder' hockey but not 'goon' antics just good physical hard hitting hockey, atm 'skill hockey' seems to be the way my favourite sport is heading, it's still entertaining but would like a little more needle to games.

hip check

He may be a new poster but has followed "our team" for 10 years and been a regular for that time, his view is equally valid as yours or mine, he's giving his thoughts and asking for opinions from others on this forum.

Thread starter #14
Thanks all...some interesting comments and views. Although it seems [U]Slartibartfast[/U] got the wrong end of the stick....I wasn't asking for members viewpoint on whether I should still go....I am quite capable of making that decision alone.

It's probably true that the majority of people who post on the forum are long term supporters, who really appreciate the intricacies of the game and the skill levels of the players. I'm probably not 'up there', for me I appreciate hard work, grit, determination, and want the guys on the ice to be entertaining, in whatever way they do that to the best of their ability.

From a marketing point of view the sport needs to create interest and get people to invest their leisure pound to it week in week out for 7 months a year. The core supporters will turn up whatever, as the guys who have posted prove in that many have been around since the very early days. I do wonder about newbies though....coming once now and again is all very well but to have continued success we need a healthy budget which in UK ice hockey, all stems from attendance levels.

If you had one of those emoji machines at the exit door where you tapped a relevant emoji dependant on your view of the event I wonder what the result would be. :):rolleyes::oops::(:mad:?

Bums on seats is what counts...they create atmosphere, and add to the entertainment. Just hope [U]Slartibartfast[/U] is not the alias of Neil F. or Kris A. as if it is there could be trouble ahead LOL.

bozman

He may be a new poster but has followed "our team" for 10 years and been a regular for that time, his view is equally valid as yours or mine, he's giving his thoughts and asking for opinions from others on this forum.
quite right I have been going since WNIR days, still enjoy it but some games really are flat, but then Wannabee2 is always right lol

Wagstaff

I don’t know if you have standing at the Viola, but I see a totally different game at the Skydome down by the glass, you get a real appreciation of speed, stick handling, physicality and skating skills, always love to watch Bownsy at out place if there’s room behind his goal..... absolute craftsman.

Wannabe2

I don’t know if you have standing at the Viola, but I see a totally different game at the Skydome down by the glass, you get a real appreciation of speed, stick handling, physicality and skating skills, always love to watch Bownsy at out place if there’s room behind his goal..... absolute craftsman.
No standing at our gaff, seating only, it’s a different set up at Coventry with the seating being higher, like the Tent.