What’s your take on this

moggy#9

I think that the key question here is "what constitutes entertainment?" Some seem to think that they've not seen a match unless two heavyweights go toe to toe, others seem to want to see someone flattened against the boards. While such things will undoubtedly get people out of their seats, personally, I enjoy a match played like a game of chess, but too often we're tactically one dimensional. Mcwilliam and ware were great members of the team because they were an ultimate deterrent when others had no qualms about trying to injure the likes of Moria or mcewen as a way of winning matches. That type of situation is so rare these days that those types of players simply can't be justified in a limited roster. What no one seems to mention as a cause of boredom is the negative tactics, like neutral zone traps, that less skilled teams will use. There's not a rule to stop this sort of play so, until there is, it's a matter of the coaching team finding ways to counteract such tactics. To those that are upset about the idea of walking away, I can understand their pain. I did just that during the boycott and it was an awful long time before I could return. I would ask one honest question though: is there a team in the EIHL that meets your expectations, or do you feel that the EIHL itself has diverged from you?

Kevlar68

But what people forget is that players like macwilliam and Ware were also skillful players, so some players were a threat in force and skill. Some of the things I see posted about "it's changed and no need for thugs" is rubbish. These guys could play. So yes you could still have players like these playing in this league.

moggy#9

But what people forget is that players like macwilliam and Ware were also skillful players, so some players were a threat in force and skill. Some of the things I see posted about "it's changed and no need for thugs" is rubbish. These guys could play. So yes you could still have players like these playing in this league.
Yes, macwilliam in particular had excellent skills. (Oh, and I never described them as thugs - he was one of my favourite players and I still have a puck autographed by him). I once saw him score an incredible backhand 1 on 1 with the goalie, straight out of the box, at lower parliament Street. But that was something we rarely saw. His primary role was a protector. A better example of a player who'd do well in this league is Ian McIntyre, who I wish we'd have had the chance to see at his best for many more years.

jimmy snels

a question was asked earlier after a hit on shaonne on Wednesday would i have given up the incoming power play to see us stick up for our fallen comrade. simply yes i would. i would be far more aggressive in our general play and in particular these situations with us playing 4 lines and most teams against us having a minimum of 3 players less than us on most game nights. a short benched fife shouldnt feel comfortable being the aggressors in our rink but sadly we have gradually reduced our physical approuch year on year.
There is also a huge difference between sucker punching someone after a hit like that and offering them to go, push them about a bit and dishing out a facewash. we are so passive its unreal. And thats what i miss from yesteryear

Wannabe2

Thread starter #66
Mike Ware played 187 games points 128
Brad Voth played 320games points 209
Two knuckle draggers who couldnt play to save their lives, Two players who everyone hated, Two players that were a total waste of time and were always in the box contributing jack shit.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #67
a question was asked earlier after a hit on shaonne on Wednesday would i have given up the incoming power play to see us stick up for our fallen comrade. simply yes i would. i would be far more aggressive in our general play and in particular these situations with us playing 4 lines and most teams against us having a minimum of 3 players less than us on most game nights. a short benched fife shouldnt feel comfortable being the aggressors in our rink but sadly we have gradually reduced our physical approuch year on year.
There is also a huge difference between sucker punching someone after a hit like that and offering them to go, push them about a bit and dishing out a facewash. we are so passive its unreal. And thats what i miss from yesteryear
Thats exactly what we all miss, No one wants to be the Broad Street Bullies, but come on give us something to shout about.

pjj365

Do we give up a power play for revenge/retribution - maybe; but

I'm an advocate of John Lawless (and I paraphrase - it's so long ago!) - we take revenge through a goal

jimmy snels

Do we give up a power play for revenge/retribution - maybe; but

I'm an advocate of John Lawless (and I paraphrase - it's so long ago!) - we take revenge through a goal
very one dimensional to say that though. whats not to say one of our forwards takes off a key fife dman for then 7 minutes on a team already short benched. we might call that a good trade!!! tiring out even further a depleted unit and allowing us to perhaps score more easily in the long run. let alone the change in momentum, crowd response and feeling that my team would go through a wall for me i better had for them!

Mazzoak

The support and justification for Bordy came from his ability to intimidate players who then choked & coughed up the puck. There is still a place for that on teams in the U.K.

pjj365

very one dimensional to say that though. whats not to say one of our forwards takes off a key fife dman for then 7 minutes on a team already short benched. we might call that a good trade!!! tiring out even further a depleted unit and allowing us to perhaps score more easily in the long run. let alone the change in momentum, crowd response and feeling that my team would go through a wall for me i better had for them!
Yes it is one dimensional but the trade you envisage depends on the refs.
Would the refs see our taking out that dman mean 7 or more. Anyway whatever your views on here are you really suggesting we take a guy out of the game!
At the moment with the standard/consistency of officiating I'm not sure that's a risk I'd take anyway

CaldicotDevil

I know what you mean about the penalties. What really winds me up is; we're so scared to give away 2 minutes penalty for instigation but we are more than happy to give away 3/4 pointless stick penalties most night.

I know some will argue, people remember the trophies more than the fights so why risk the trophies for a fight and they're probably correct. However there's times I wish we just said f@#k it and put a few players in their place.