What’s your take on this

Wannabe2

Thread starter #41
One thing that I miss and it does concern me a lot, is that as a game finished I couldn’t wait for the next one to begin, and a week seemed like a month, now that ain’t clever wishing your life away but this game had that effect on you. Sadly that isn’t the fact anymore and that hurts, in fact sometimes I question my passion now, do I really go to see the many people I care for and have a beer, do I go out of habit as it sure feels different now, that anxious gut feeling before a game begins and the butterflies in the stomach unfortunately don’t exist anymore, and that is very sad it’s like losing a family member, that’s a bit dramatic I know but it’s the truth. I queued overnight for my play off tickets, but was that about a weekend away, a carnival atmosphere, or the love of the modern game I ain’t sure. Perhaps it’s just me, perhaps I expect too much, but I used to be entertained to the point that I wanted to share that experience with everyone, I felt like a travelling salesman wanting to spread the gospel of this great sport, I thought this game should be available on the NHS to everyone, as no one should miss one of the greatest nights on the planet, but now with a very heavy heart and being honest this is being diluted bit by bit out of me. I really don’t want brawls, I really don’t want knuckle draggers, I can live without regular fights, but I don’t think I can live without entertainment, now entertainment comes in different forms, great skating, great skills, great goals, amazing saves, all contribute to being entertained, but with the exception of the skating that could be found in many sports, yet the very thing that sets this sport apart from the others is having the life sucked out of it, and to me that is a suicidal course that doesn’t benefit anyone. Sorry about the rant, but I do care, maybe too much, my Happy Hockey Days signature isn’t used a lot these days, and for me that’s a great shame.

Rempel16

One thing that I miss and it does concern me a lot, is that as a game finished I couldn’t wait for the next one to begin, and a week seemed like a month, now that ain’t clever wishing your life away but this game had that effect on you. Sadly that isn’t the fact anymore and that hurts, in fact sometimes I question my passion now, do I really go to see the many people I care for and have a beer, do I go out of habit as it sure feels different now, that anxious gut feeling before a game begins and the butterflies in the stomach unfortunately don’t exist anymore, and that is very sad it’s like losing a family member, that’s a bit dramatic I know but it’s the truth. I queued overnight for my play off tickets, but was that about a weekend away, a carnival atmosphere, or the love of the modern game I ain’t sure. Perhaps it’s just me, perhaps I expect too much, but I used to be entertained to the point that I wanted to share that experience with everyone, I felt like a travelling salesman wanting to spread the gospel of this great sport, I thought this game should be available on the NHS to everyone, as no one should miss one of the greatest nights on the planet, but now with a very heavy heart and being honest this is being diluted bit by bit out of me. I really don’t want brawls, I really don’t want knuckle draggers, I can live without regular fights, but I don’t think I can live without entertainment, now entertainment comes in different forms, great skating, great skills, great goals, amazing saves, all contribute to being entertained, but with the exception of the skating that could be found in many sports, yet the very thing that sets this sport apart from the others is having the life sucked out of it, and to me that is a suicidal course that doesn’t benefit anyone. Sorry about the rant, but I do care, maybe too much, my Happy Hockey Days signature isn’t used a lot these days, and for me that’s a great shame.
This sums it all up for me as well. I have found myself being able to miss more games this season, that I simply would have otherwise attended above most else. But the entertainment level (not just with the Devils) these days means i am open to finding other things to do with my time.

I used to look forward to games all week when teams had characters, and you just never know what might happen. Remember those games against the Steelers when we had Voth, Latulippe, Hartwick, Jarvis etc?... The Steelers had Finnerty, Munn, Sharp. Every game had niggle from start to finish, both teams absolutely detested each other that season, and it made for some brilliant entertainment.

Then there was the repeated years of Keefe and Lloyd dominating the BBT everytime they came to town.

Payette, Cornish, Derek Campbell, Brad Cruickshank, Brett Clouthier... These were the guys I looked forward to, not because of the knuckle dragging, but their antics added to the game.

Sam Herr this season is an excellent player, but I don't find myself looking forward to Nottingham games to see his skill set (as much as I respect what he does).

The characters are gone and it's taken my enthusiasm unfortunately. That makes me sad as this means this will likely be my last season as a season ticket holder.

pjj365

I would suggest "the average Joe" who knows only what's now on offer and enjoys it will continue to attend and eventually replace ST holders who are dropping off

If true then why would owners care as the business model still works

Earnie

Full or nearly full Arena for every game would indicate to me that there is nothing wrong with the package. We are one point behind the leaders with games in hand. There are others teams right on our tail. We are not guaranteed to win the league but we sure as hell are in the mix yet again.
McWilliam and Ware and Voth , good that they were, are bygone days.

Last edited:

Diablo3

Full or nearly full Arena for every game would indicate to me that there is nothing wrong with the package. We are one point behind the leaders with games in hand. There are others teams right on our tail. We are not guaranteed to win the league but we sure as hell are in the mix yet again.
McWilliam and Ware and Voth , good that they were, are bygone days.
You're right, we do have a full arena for most games and I'm sure if you did a survey of the fans at the games, most would say they enjoyed it. Yes there are some that prefer the old clear the bench games, but that era has gone. Anyone expecting big hitters in our roster next year will be disappointed. It's clear the priority, besides domestic success, is the CHL. Which for us means faster, younger more skillful skaters.

Kevlar68

Very true that the past is the past but to go forward aren't things meant to be improved, progress, get better, be more exciting? It's not.
Yes the game Is now very skillful and fast but not entertaining even though I myself do like watching skillful hockey.
What if next season or in the future hitting on the boards gets ruled out, the game would end up looking like a kids table ice hockey game.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #47
Very true that the past is the past but to go forward aren't things meant to be improved, progress, get better, be more exciting? It's not.
Yes the game Is now very skillful and fast but not entertaining even though I myself do like watching skillful hockey.
What if next season or in the future hitting on the boards gets ruled out, the game would end up looking like a kids table ice hockey game.
We could always swop and support field hockey, it will be very similar but cheaper.

fdlf666

The sport of ice-hockey is evolving just like any other sport, and moved from the days of thuggery to a fast and skilful game, which has attracted more and more of the better players to this league.
This may appear less entertaining to some but may be more entertaining to others, and everyone always has the choice of watching it or not.

I think the main problem is the EIHL has moved too quickly to eradicate the physical side of things without having the necessary skill game to back it up, our CHL games have been great to watch because of the level of the teams we're playing bringing our compete level up (and they are probably the most physical games we play too, those European team do hit) but overall I would say that 90% of EIHL games are scrappy error fests due to there being a sprinkling of very skilful players but a lot of bang average ones.

Do the EIHL have any scope on changing the integrator rule? Maybe reducing it to 2 minutes and removing the 10, not to bring back the knuckle dragger but say for instance the situation we had with Baldwin on Joey Martin, would Louis or batch go for him more aggressively if they know they'd get a 5+2 instead of a 5+2+10? The instigator still gives away a power play but the situation is dealt with and we move on

Mazzoak

If we start retaliating to everything, then we’re gonna lose more games than we win. A good example would be last night, when Livingston hit one of our players off the puck which the ref called and we were going on the PP whilst losing 1-0. If you guys want us to retaliate to that, then I honest give up. Why do something about that and lose our chance with the extra man. The game has changed. Yes Brad Voth would’ve probably thrown him to the ground and done something, and we all would’ve been on our feet loving it. However, with the refs being as they are this season. He would’ve been thrown out and we’d have to kill a long penalty. Voth couldn’t play in this league nowadays because of how less physical it is and he wouldn’t have been allowed to play to way we are used to under Lord. Do I think there’s not enough physicality? Yes. However I think Lord and the owners would much rather win trophies than win fights, which I prefer more as well.
Which is why those advocating for more entertaining hockey, which is, let’s be frank, violent, dangerous and entertaining. Those advocating for more entertainment are also asking for change to how officials manage games, from the game flow through to correct interpretation of the rules, to step into situations before they become serious. What we have today is a complete opposite, it is now a boringly sterile game.
You say the game has changed, yes it has and it can changed again and again and again. Since we govern the sport it can be anything we want it to be.
When the sport was more physical teams still won trophy’s, you can still manage teams when penalties are taken, it does take a great deal more skill from those on the bench to react & manage.
The owners want whatever brings in revenue, that’s across all teams. The sports nothing without paying fans watching regularly & keeping those numbers trump anything else. If fans across the country have the same opinion, attendance levels drop enough, every team in the league would find a Voth, a Bordy, a Ware or whoever pretty damned quick.

Last edited:

Kevlar68

We all understand the game has changed, no one disputes that but how many who have seen the both styles of game (enforcer ruled & fast skillful) would say it's changed for the better?

Mazzoak

I would suggest "the average Joe" who knows only what's now on offer and enjoys it will continue to attend and eventually replace ST holders who are dropping off

If true then why would owners care as the business model still works
The Cardiff owners sold themselves as hockey fans who love a hard hitting entertaining sport, that the deciding factor in coming to Cardiff, as King explained, was after Todd told him that the Devils had one of if not the best set of supporters in the U.K.
It also had a buffoon ruining the club, a free new arena being built, with no rent to pay and a desperate fan base, we‘ll ignore the financial golden goose opportunity, for now.
Are you suggest that the owners came across to the U.K. sold us a pleasing PR sob story. That their only interest is to make some easy cash. That kinda leads us back to that golden goose.

Last edited:

pjj365

Which is why those advocating for more entertaining hockey, which is, let’s be frank, violent, dangerous and entertaining those also advocate for change as to how officials manage games, from the game flow through to correct interpretation of the rules, to step into situations before they become serious. What we have today is a complete opposite, it is now a boringly sterile game.
You say the game has changed, yes it has and it can changed again and again and again. Since we govern the sport it can be anything we want it to be.
When the sport was more physical teams still won trophy’s, you can still manage teams when penalties are taken, it does take a great deal more skill from those on the bench to react & manage.
The owners want whatever brings in revenue, that’s across all teams. The sports nothing without paying fans watching regularly & keeping those numbers trump anything else. If fans across the country have the same opinion, attendance levels drop enough, every team in the league would find a Voth, a Bordy, a Ware or whoever pretty damned quick.
We'd all find a Both, Bordy or Ware - I doubt it

We take from, mainly, N America. Those types of player are a dying breed. So:
a) are they available; and
b) are there enough of them to go round the leauge

I suspect the answer to both questions is no

Mazzoak

I was told recently in a conversation about this subject that during the WNIR days there was no need for Zorb football or any entertainment between periods as the bar was slammed with people all discussing the game or those left out in the arena would all be discussing the sport.

Mazzoak

We'd all find a Both, Bordy or Ware - I doubt it

We take from, mainly, N America. Those types of player are a dying breed. So:
a) are they available; and
b) are there enough of them to go round the leauge

I suspect the answer to both questions is no
Not with our current recruitment strategy, no. It would take more than friend referrals and recommendations. Their out there, just need to look a little harder.

Kevlar68

That's true Mazzoak, I used to be the manager of the bars, hospitality suites and do the intro that Todd does now and game music. We were that busy in the main bar, I mean rammed, we had to open 2 new bars. A temporary bar where skate hire was and the other in the large changing/storage room at the other end of rink and all were full with people just talking about the game. We'd even replay the games in the bar after the game had finished and people would watch it again and discuss plays they'd missed.
Talk about multitasking :D

Last edited:

kingmo19.1

Begs the question, say for example a new rink was built in Swansea and the Swansea Sharks played in the EIHL with a hard hitting style - would you/could you defect ?

Kevlar68

No. I really don't think fans would, your team is your team. I've supported devil's since 86, supported Liverpool since 75 and seen both play rubbish , have nightmare seasons and hard times but wouldn't ever change my colours.
And you think Liverpool have never won a premier league title in 28 years and I still support them. Can you imagine our devil's supporters if the hadn't won a league title in 28 years? They go nuts if we don't win a cup within a season.
But, we stand by them.

Last edited: