Welcome to the real world Mr Simon

Sounds to me like he just wants more money for himself ... nothing to do with playing budgets?

Sounds like he has been taking tips from Rooney and Tevez on using the media to get more money.

oh, wait, whats this i hear.... its the the worlds smallest violin. :lol:

This kind of sums up the business and moral conundrum Raygun's gotta find his way through this summer. He's been banging the drum for a wage cap this season and pledging to stick to it for the 2011/12 season with both his teams but it looks like this could mean a loss of quality (especially for Steelers) and a loss of constancy as league winners price themselves up and potentially move on.

One the one hand he dosen't want to let down the fans (and therefore dent his turnover shorterm) by letting the quality of the on ice product fall but on the other hand he can't resort to checkbook hockey and keep grinding the smaller teams out of existence (and therefore dent his turnover long term and ice hockey in the UK overall).

I swear I remember something being announced about him having signed for next season a couple of weeks ago after PR took over?? Did I make that up???

TheStub

Re: Re: Welcome to the real world Mr Simon

gandl said:
I swear I remember something being announced about him having signed for next season a couple of weeks ago after PR took over?? Did I make that up???
No - they announced they were in talks. Lots of people mis-read it as him signing... but that was never actually announced.

Mark666 said:
One the one hand he dosen't want to let down the fans (and therefore dent his turnover shorterm)
Ahh, but if you go on Steeltalk they are all SO disgusted with putting up prices next year that no-one is buying a season ticket or going to games next year...so he wont have a turnover at all :twisted:

ASHIPP

Twinkle said:
Mark666 said:
One the one hand he dosen't want to let down the fans (and therefore dent his turnover shorterm)
Ahh, but if you go on Steeltalk they are all SO disgusted with putting up prices next year that no-one is buying a season ticket or going to games next year...so he wont have a turnover at all :twisted:
Just as well the team didn't win the league this season then, or their fans would have a real season ticket dilemma on their hands........... er, hang on! :shock: :lol:

The Steelers were looking at a mass change of personel next year with needing to reduce their budget by at least 20% and probably more.

I guess the import reduction will help account for a bit of that assuming Steelers don't replace for aguements sake Campbell.

I'd be amazed if we haven't seen the last of the likes of Legue, Talbot etc in the league, unless they end up massively downgrading in other areas.

It could be one of the most interesting off seasons yet, and it'll be even more obvious who is and who isn't sticking to the cap

Koop11

It will be interesting to see if PR does actually reduce the budget in Sheffield next season. He recognises that the current format is unsustainable but with them winning the league and the backlash of increased ticket prices, which has not gone down well in Yorkshire, there is certainly a peer pressure on him that he may not have expected.

Whilst it’s important that he is seen to be running both clubs fairly, we have to be mindful that Sheffield is a different business model to Cardiff. The joys of conflicts of interest.

Has it been confirmed that the Cardiff budget is staying put and the Sheffield budget is dropping?

How do we know that they wont meet in the middle somewhere? I would assume due to inflation etc etc that the wage cap doesnt remain the same every year.

Oh ok fair enough.

I dont know what all the moaning is about to be honest. If the Cardiff Devils can produce the quality of hockey they have this and last season whilst staying within their current wage cap, I can't really see how it should cause a problem for other teams to do the same.

Just because they have grown used to the fancy life of splashing out, doesnt mean they can't tighten their belts and have just as much fun - or is the concept of just enjoying the game regardless of winning or losing a foreign concept to most people around here?

Skippy

I'm sure that I read somewhere that all Ben Simon wanted is the same as this year not more.

Seems reasonable to me doing the same job for less money after winning an Championship would be like working where I work... :?

Thread starter #14
skippy said:
I'm sure that I read somewhere that all Ben Simon wanted is the same as this year not more.

Seems reasonable to me doing the same job for less money after winning an Championship would be like working where I work... :?
Yes, but the trouble is they were getting too much last year.

DevilDom

buzzwagon said:
skippy said:

Yes, but the trouble is they were getting too much last year.
Isn't it the case that a portion of a player coaches wages (I think 50%?) comes out of the playing budget against the wage cap?

If that is true then if Ben Simon wants the same as last year he will have less budget remaining to spend on players. That's fine by me (not that I matter! :lol: ) as it would mean the rest of his roster would be that much weaker. Personally I think this is all a bit of a clever smoke screen by Mr Simon as he realises he will not be able to recruit a lot of the players he has this season on the wage cap / budget being proposed. That means he will actually need to do some work recruiting and building a team (as G has to do every year) and will not have a largely experienced team ready for him. Yes he has done well this year but give any of the coaches in the league the players he had recruited for him and they would probably have done similarly well.

Thread starter #16
I agree with you DevilDom, ultimatly he will be judged on what he achieves next season as opposed to this.
Most people will agree that Globke aside it was Matty's team.

buzzwagon said:
I agree with you DevilDom, ultimatly he will be judged on what he achieves next season as opposed to this.
I must correct you slightly. Yes, this was "Matty's team". Almost the same team from last year who were abysmal Suddenly, with a new coach, they are fitter, faster, more skillful and bear no resemblance in playing methods to the way they played last year. This is down to Simon, not the dour "Matty" who sent us all to sleep!

Thread starter #18
Clifford said:
buzzwagon said:

I must correct you slightly. Yes, this was "Matty's team". Almost the same team from last year who were abysmal Suddenly, with a new coach, they are fitter, faster, more skillful and bear no resemblance in playing methods to the way they played last year. This is down to Simon, not the dour "Matty" who sent us all to sleep!
Not according to your coach!....Quote " I have to thank Dave Matsos he left me the keys to a ferrari. A thoroughbred team was waiting for me and i have to thank him for that".

Dour "matty" is that the same coach that took his team to a championship and Playoff title! :?
"mmmm" there's gratitude for you. ;)

Rempel16

Clifford said:
buzzwagon said:
Almost the same team???? Ok, the core perhaps, but the championship winners have been brought in this year (Munn and Tait).
And you missed the quality of Ben Simon as a player last year, and those three are before talking of your 35-goal power forward, potentially the biggest coup of Matsos' recruiting.

Not even Ben Simon would have got a championship winning team out of your squad of last year.