Webcast a go-er.

august04 2.0

I have a reasonable life style due to still working at 72 yrs of age full time, and having worked since I was 14, 6 days a week, not smoking don’t buy many clothes, never had a inheritance, lived for 17yrs in a council house in Ely ( love ELY ) and have worked for everything I have . Certainly wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth, everything I have I have worked for. My one main outlay is my hockey, and it’s worth every penny of my hard worked money.Stay Safe All.
As long as you’re alright then!

moggy#9

My frustrations certainly aren’t all towards the Devils organisation. As you’ve just pointed out it looks like most webcasts will be £15 this season and the biggest culprits are Infinity 21. I’m disappointed with all parties involved if they think £15 is reasonable.
I wonder just how many alternatives there were. I've no idea what happened to icetime.tv, but they sometimes seemed to struggle with high demand for streams. I would certainly hope that the increased cost would, at the very least, mean bullet proof resilience - though there is an argument that the increased cost will reduce demand, and so negate the need for that resilience. ;-)

august04 2.0

My frustrations certainly aren’t all towards the Devils organisation. As you’ve just pointed out it looks like most webcasts will be £15 this season and the biggest culprits are Infinity 21. I’m disappointed with all parties involved if they think £15 is reasonable.
More fool those who pay infinity21 £15 for a webcast. I stopped doing it a while back, no way is it worth that much given the standard of the broadcasts, commentary etc. As has been mentioned, Sheffield is as good as there is in the U.K but I refuse to pay that even for their webcast, on principal.

jenks33

I wonder just how many alternatives there were. I've no idea what happened to icetime.tv, but they sometimes seemed to struggle with high demand for streams. I would certainly hope that the increased cost would, at the very least, mean bullet proof resilience - though there is an argument that the increased cost will reduce demand, and so negate the need for that resilience. ;-)
Well it would be good to hear from one of the “top dogs” around the league or at the Devils regarding the webcast. To be fair it’s not a topic they have to get involved in but it’s clearly a sensitive subject. Not just with devils fans.

jenks33

More fool those who pay infinity21 £15 for a webcast. I stopped doing it a while back, no way is it worth that much given the standard of the broadcasts, commentary etc. As has been mentioned, Sheffield is as good as there is in the U.K but I refuse to pay that even for their webcast, on principal.
Where does the price increase stop? It seems to have gone from £8 to £10 to £15 in quite a short space of time. It’s as if they’re saying these fans are lucky to have a webcast available so we’ll charge what we bloody well want! Does it go up to £20 in a few years? It’s just nonsense

moggy#9

Where does the price increase stop? It seems to have gone from £8 to £10 to £15 in quite a short space of time. It’s as if they’re saying these fans are lucky to have a webcast available so we’ll charge what we bloody well want! Does it go up to £20 in a few years? It’s just nonsense
Particularly in the wake of the TV deal, access to streaming is something that the league should get a grip on. All teams should be compelled to provide a stream (in taking to you Nottingham) and there should be cross league content. One fee should get you access to all of the games you're interested in. I recently saw on Twitter some of the deals for streaming Canadian junior hockey. That seems like the way forward.

The club needs to make a statement on this topic and to read how is devil fans feel about such an increase in price to watch the same coverage webcast as from seasons ago infinity 21 are taking us fans for granted

Diafol

Particularly in the wake of the TV deal, access to streaming is something that the league should get a grip on. All teams should be compelled to provide a stream (in taking to you Nottingham) and there should be cross league content. One fee should get you access to all of the games you're interested in. I recently saw on Twitter some of the deals for streaming Canadian junior hockey. That seems like the way forward.
I've been saying this for years, you can get subscriptions for NHL, also AHL and ECHL where a monthly fee will get you access to all games in that league.

I'd definitely be up for something like that, or a season ticket package for our away games.

moggy#9

The club needs to make a statement on this topic and to read how is devil fans feel about such an increase in price to watch the same coverage webcast as from seasons ago infinity 21 are taking us fans for granted
I do feel that the club is in a bit of a no win scenario here. There were plenty of people on here complaining about the lack of a stream. The club for one set up from an experienced provider, then everyone complains that it costs too much.

I get it that cost is important, particularly in tough times, but if the choice of providers is limited, and the provider in question dictates a price, what can be done? This seems to me to be a situation where beggars can't be choosers.

What would be interesting, and would help this debate, is "what led to the demise of icetime.tv?"

august04 2.0

I lost count of the number of times I heard EIHL teams say how much they appreciated the fans during the pandemic and how they’ll never take them for granted again. Well I’m not sure if they’re taking us for granted here but all we’re seeing is price increases for seemingly everything! It will be an interesting season for sure, let’s see just how much these teams have missed their fans.

Diafol

I do feel that the club is in a bit of a no win scenario here. There were plenty of people on here complaining about the lack of a stream. The club for one set up from an experienced provider, then everyone complains that it costs too much.

I get it that cost is important, particularly in tough times, but if the choice of providers is limited, and the provider in question dictates a price, what can be done? This seems to me to be a situation where beggars can't be choosers.

What would be interesting, and would help this debate, is "what led to the demise of icetime.tv?"
Icetime TV are still providing the coverage (pictures, commentary etc). It just appears that the infrastructure for transmitting the webcast has been "contracted out" to Infinity 21.

E.D.S.

I have a reasonable life style due to still working at 72 yrs of age full time, and having worked since I was 14, 6 days a week, not smoking don’t buy many clothes, never had a inheritance, lived for 17yrs in a council house in Ely ( love ELY ) and have worked for everything I have . Certainly wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth, everything I have I have worked for. My one main outlay is my hockey, and it’s worth every penny of my hard worked money.Stay Safe All.
Completely missing the point. I don’t care for your financial position. Congrats to you for that lifestyle. Like you, I can afford a season ticket. I also travel to away games and purchase webcasts. Living arrangements means I can’t make every home game on my season ticket so a webcast of value is important to me and this is absolutely about value not cost. For others it’s cost as well as value because of their financial position.
Employee costs and streaming costs haven't risen by 33% in 18 months so why has the webcast? I don’t see £5 additional value in the cost of this webcast. The quality and product just isn’t there.

moggy#9

I lost count of the number of times I heard EIHL teams say how much they appreciated the fans during the pandemic and how they’ll never take them for granted again. Well I’m not sure if they’re taking us for granted here but all we’re seeing is price increases for seemingly everything! It will be an interesting season for sure, let’s see just how much these teams have missed their fans.
Increases in costs go far beyond hockey. Welcome to the post Brexit covid world.

august04 2.0

In my experience, EIHL webcasts and bullet proof resilience are not two phrases that go together!

moggy#9

Completely missing the point. I don’t care for your financial position. Congrats to you for that lifestyle. Like you, I can afford a season ticket. I also travel to away games and purchase webcasts. Living arrangements means I can’t make every home game on my season ticket so a webcast of value is important to me and this is absolutely about value not cost. For others it’s cost as well as value because of their financial position.
Employee costs and streaming costs haven't risen by 33% in 18 months so why has the webcast? I don’t see £5 additional value in the cost of this webcast. The quality and product just isn’t there.
Really? Do you have evidence for the costings, or is this just an assumption? Not all hosting providers work on the same basis. Higher resilience, support standards etc could easily account for sizable increases over what went before. There's also the small matter of having to recoup losses from the last 18 months.

People are understandably upset, but please try to see that there's more than one perspective here.

jenks33

That’s how I feel. All this talk during the pandemic about never taking fans for granted and then first warm up game we find out webcasts have gone up by £5…

E.D.S.

Really? Do you have evidence for the costings, or is this just an assumption? Not all hosting providers work on the same basis. Higher resilience, support standards etc could easily account for sizable increases over what went before. There's also the small matter of having to recoup losses from the last 18 months.

People are understandably upset, but please try to see that there's more than one perspective here.
Do you have evidence for the costings? You've now raised Brexit too. Do you know those costings and that impact or just an assumption?
There's clearly more than one perspective here and I'm capable of seeing all sides but this is my view. I'll say it again. The £5 hike isn't good value. The simple facts of the matter is that I am being asked to pay £5 more for arguably a weaker product than before. That's a choice I am entitled to make and I am entitled to ask why.

moggy#9

Do you have evidence for the costings? You've now raised Brexit too. Do you know those costings and that impact or just an assumption?
There's clearly more than one perspective here and I'm capable of seeing all sides but this is my view. I'll say it again. The £5 hike isn't good value. The simple facts of the matter is that I am being asked to pay £5 more for arguably a weaker product than before. That's a choice I am entitled to make and I am entitled to ask why.
My citing of Brexit was an example of external factors that have increased cost markedly in other sectors of the economy.

If icetime.tv provided their own hosting, the cost model would be different and so not necessarily comparable.

E.D.S.

I don't care for other sectors. These are probably sectors that you and I work in or have knowledge of. This is about a simple webcast going up £5 and asking the question... what do I get for that £5 increase to make this of good value to me? I'm the only one who can judge value as I'm the one paying for it. I upset Wannabe's mate on the camera as I didn't think it was good enough, I then asked for basics like a penalty clock. Heck I'd really like a slow mo replay so we could see if anyone did tip in one of the goals but appreciate someone would come on here and probably say "do you know how much slow mo costs"? I wouldn't mind being able to hear some atmosphere in the background. There's lots of ways to improve it. Like I've said before. I accepted £10 and all that it came with. That wasn't a brilliant webcast service but it represented good value to me. I thought Aled was a first class lead commentator (just my opinion) he brought the game to life with his energy. They were filmed in the Big Blue Tent with shocking camera angles but it was £10. That £10 was excellent value and then when we moved to the new arena it was even better as the angles became better. Then came the overhead goal line camera. Another good addition (league enforced or not) it added something to it. There were interviews during the breaks. There were clear things that represented value to me. There's a £5 increase and so far the only change I can see is an ice level camera that really doesn't add anything. That isn't worth £5 to me.

I don't want a Rolls Royce service either, this isn't the NHL but I do want more than I am currently getting to advocate the hike.

If we're honest they've chosen a different hosting model who's standard fee seems like £15 which is the be all and end all of it and nothing we can do about it. I don't think costs of brexit or whatever else they do has anything to do with it. It's just bringing the price up to the same as everywhere else. Question still stands which I am entitled to ask is... what does that £5 get me and do I think it's worth paying?