Webcast a go-er.

jenks33

Wow I can’t believe these comments, firstly no penalty clock, then shots on goal stats, the main camera man is most certainly a hockey person, and is a highly skilled professional who we are certainly lucky to have, wobbly pictures come on give me a break, miss hits and move on, wonder what you would say if it stayed on a hit and missed a goal, or a fight, or a bigger hit. Don’t follow the game the same game that’s played at very high speed, and with the camera in very close proximity, all the game would be covered and nothing missed if the camera zoomed out, but then the players would look like midgets, and that would be cause for another moan. If we don’t do a webcast that’s wrong, if we do a webcast it’s too expensive. Maybe the answer is to have a locked off VHS camera zoomed out to see all the crowd and the play and charge 75p a game. Also there’s always the option no one has to pay, we would all like to be driving a roller or equivalent but you won’t get one for the price of a mini, that’s another thing that’s not fair.
“If we don’t do a webcast that’s wrong, if we do a webcast it’s too expensive”. Cmon now Wannabe that’s unfair. What people are saying is £10 is plenty, which it is. If they have to raise the price then go to £12. I still wouldn’t be entirely happy but it’s not outrageous. A £5 increase is just wrong tho.
If you disagree with that then fair enough but I think you’re in the minority. I’m not saying you’re alone but definitely the minority.

Wow I can’t believe these comments, firstly no penalty clock, then shots on goal stats, the main camera man is most certainly a hockey person, and is a highly skilled professional who we are certainly lucky to have, wobbly pictures come on give me a break, miss hits and move on, wonder what you would say if it stayed on a hit and missed a goal, or a fight, or a bigger hit. Don’t follow the game the same game that’s played at very high speed, and with the camera in very close proximity, all the game would be covered and nothing missed if the camera zoomed out, but then the players would look like midgets, and that would be cause for another moan. If we don’t do a webcast that’s wrong, if we do a webcast it’s too expensive. Maybe the answer is to have a locked off VHS camera zoomed out to see all the crowd and the play and charge 75p a game. Also there’s always the option no one has to pay, we would all like to be driving a roller or equivalent but you won’t get one for the price of a mini, that’s another thing that’s not fair.
There speaks the man that it doesn’t affect!!!!
Right on time

E.D.S.

Sigh. Apologies for having an opinion that doesn't put all things Devils on a pedestal and upsetting your mates that work on the podcast. Do we have one camera? I don't think we do, do we? The point is things are missed. for some reason they have introduced an ice level camera that doesn't work for me. It's my opinion and from some of the response it's shared by at least two others. There could be 100s who love it. It doesn't matter as this is my opinion. Rather than listen to your drivel about everything being amazing I prefer to take a more balanced view. The webcast at £10ish was good value and I accepted all that came with it. £15 isn't good value.

Yeah a 75p VHS solution is exactly what everyone is asking for. Grow up. This is a forum where we debate. Your childlike responses don't add to this. What a roller and mini has to do with this is just further proof of a mindless response. I want better quality for £15. Demonstrable better quality to account for a £5 hike. That hasn't happened in my opinion and I have a right to raise that.

"Happy hockey days" sigh.

moggy#9

You can defend it all you like Wannabe2, but £15 for an EIHL webcast is obscene, don’t care whether it’s Sheffield, Cardiff or wherever. It’s just greed in a time when lots of people will be suffering financially post pandemic.
Just to play devils advocate here, is it greed? If someone has decided that they want to make as much money as possible, perhaps. But is that the case? What are the overheads? Have these changed? Have assumptions on the numbers of viewers changed? Is the supplier just being consistent across teams? Yes, it's expensive, but it's still considerably cheaper than what an evening at the rink cost me pre covid - particularly with children in tow.

It's also possible that things had to be rushed to have a webcast in place for the Nottingham match. It's possible that some kinks will be ironed out. We'll have to see.

jenks33

You can defend it all you like Wannabe2, but £15 for an EIHL webcast is obscene, don’t care whether it’s Sheffield, Cardiff or wherever. It’s just greed in a time when lots of people will be suffering financially post pandemic.
I mentioned the other day that I don’t think they take into account how many home games there actually are. We’ve got 6 home games some months in all competitions and I know some people say you don’t have to pay for it if you don’t want to but is that really the point or the right spirit. I’m sure we all criticise football for pricing people out of the game. If a devils fan who lives far away did want to watch those matches it would cost them £90 for just one month. Two years ago it would have been £60. It’s just wrong

Unfortunately wannabe is such a loyal fan he sometimes lets his heart rule his mind he will always come up with replies that some of us doesn’t agree to and the webcast is one of them , I only wish he would see it and understand it from certain fans that can’t afford the life style he has and being at ever game week in week out .

Earnie

The shut down has had a huge impact on everything including IAW.
The answer you seek is probably close to home - but don’t expect a reply from management. They have enough on their plate.

Rempel16

Or maybe we should just bow to all-positivity all the time right? Your consistent positive comments get quite frustrating. The club themselves admit that they screw up on times, so they don't need you to be shooting down anything that's not received with acclaim.

You've just contradicted yourself massively and you can't even see it. 'we would all like to be driving a roller or equivalent but you won't get one for the price of a mini'..... But the club are charging the price of a roller for what is deemed to be the quality of a mini.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #74
I have a reasonable life style due to still working at 72 yrs of age full time, and having worked since I was 14, 6 days a week, not smoking don’t buy many clothes, never had a inheritance, lived for 17yrs in a council house in Ely ( love ELY ) and have worked for everything I have . Certainly wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth, everything I have I have worked for. My one main outlay is my hockey, and it’s worth every penny of my hard worked money.Stay Safe All.

moggy#9

Think you might be waiting a while for a sensible answer…
Well, off the top of my head arrangements for hosting and distribution of the content may have changed, staff cost may have changed, or other aspects of the cost model. Not everything is visible on screen. I'm not trying to defend the increase, I'm just pointing out that there are potential factors at play other than profit. If creaming off the top were the prime motivation, I would be first to agree with the critics.

jenks33

Well, off the top of my head arrangements for hosting and distribution of the content may have changed, staff cost may have changed, or other aspects of the cost model. Not everything is visible on screen. I'm not trying to defend the increase, I'm just pointing out that there are potential factors at play other than profit. If creaming off the top were the prime motivation, I would be first to agree with the critics.
But are they reasons for the paying customer to think “oh ok then that’s fine”. Maybe if it’s gone up £1 or £2 but it’s gone up by £5! If it goes up to £20 in a couple of years because of staff cost or other aspects of the cost model do we just have to put up with that as well? In reality I think it’s the same company that do Steelers matches and they’ve probably just thought we’ll charge £15 for devils games as well. But like many of us have said the quality isn’t the same as the Steelers webcast.

I have a reasonable life style due to still working at 72 yrs of age full time, and having worked since I was 14, 6 days a week, not smoking don’t buy many clothes, never had a inheritance, lived for 17yrs in a council house in Ely ( love ELY ) and have worked for everything I have . Certainly wasn’t born with a silver spoon in my mouth, everything I have I have worked for. My one main outlay is my hockey, and it’s worth every penny of my hard worked money.Stay Safe All.
Mate, that's all very commendable, but it's not really the point.
You were able to work hard, able to get a good job, able to work hard and climb up the ladder to a better position. You probably bought your first house for £15 (oh the irony) lol. You also most importantly have the fitness to still be working and I'm very glad that you have.
Other peoples circumstances are different. Maybe the most important outlay is putting food in their children's mouths.
Maybe you've just explained the reason why you shouldn't be commenting on the price of a webcast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Diafol

If I've got this right:

The hosting and distribution is now organised by Infinity 21 who do the same for Steelers, Giants and Storm.
The standard charge for those 3 webcasts is £15 each, which makes me suspect it might be down to Infinity 21 rather than the club.

That's why I stopped buying away webcasts 2 years ago, I decided the price increase just wasn't worth it and watch NHL TV now instead of our away games with the money I saved.

It's not just webcasts though, you could apply the same logic to a pint in the bar (which I also stopped buying !)

Premier Sports EIHL schedule can be found at:

https://www.premiersports.com/sports/elite-league/elite-league-fixtures

Last edited:

jenks33

If I've got this right:

The hosting and distribution is now organised by Infinity 21 who do the same for Steelers, Giants and Storm.
The standard charge for those 3 webcasts is £15 each, which makes me suspect it might be down to Infinity 21 rather than the club.

Premier Sports EIHL schedule can be found at:

https://www.premiersports.com/sports/elite-league/elite-league-fixtures
My frustrations certainly aren’t all towards the Devils organisation. As you’ve just pointed out it looks like most webcasts will be £15 this season and the biggest culprits are Infinity 21. I’m disappointed with all parties involved if they think £15 is reasonable.

Mate, that's all very commendable, but it's not really the point.
You were able to work hard, able to get a good job, able to work hard and climb up the ladder to a better position. You probably bought your first house for £15 (oh the irony) lol. You also most importantly have the fitness to still be working and I'm very glad that you have.
Other peoples circumstances are different. Maybe the most important outlay is putting food in their children's mouths.
Maybe you've just explained the reason why you shouldn't be commenting on the price of a webcast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
agree with you fridayfingers I doubt wannabe will give us his personal view like he said he can afford his hockey not like some of us obviously his lifestyle is different to a lot of us and to be totally honest he has worked for a well payed employer for many over his adult years and well done to him but some of his comments are all one sided to the club .