Views from Nottingham weekend

Earnie

Thread starter #1
Cardiff
Let us down badly on Saturday. No sensible explanation for it.
Cruised to a 6-0 win on Sunday

Fife
Give it everything on Saturday but never likely to beat a physically dominating team like Nottingham
Nothing much left in the tank for Sunday

Coventry
Can be proud of their performance on both days

Nottingham
Saturday persistent physical pressure would succeed in the end.
Sunday was mainly a performance by a bunch of thugs. The referees let too much go unpunished.

Ocko

Performance by a bunch of thugs? Ridiculous. A physical team who worked their bollocks off and understood what playoff hockey was about.

I'll leave the Devils performance out of it but as for the POFW:

Great fun but the whole product was poor. Virtually no intros and ceremony. The woman who sang GSTQ for the English teams was bloody awful, she couldn't actually sing.

And it's properly cheesy. The announcer is very good but the music is awful, it gets the crowd involved but reminds me of something from Butlins, couldn't be further away from a physical contact sport. im going to be having nightmares about sweet Caroline, all hating the steelers, top of the league having a laugh for months. Huge cringe. I know they want it to be family orientated but they've just made it one giant hen party. Singing about hating the Steelers does my head in too; all it does it let them know the whole league is jealous of their success.

Ocko said:
Performance by a bunch of thugs? Ridiculous. A physical team who worked their bollocks off and understood what playoff hockey was about.

I'll leave the Devils performance out of it but as for the POFW:

Great fun but the whole product was poor. Virtually no intros and ceremony. The woman who sang GSTQ for the English teams was bloody awful, she couldn't actually sing.

And it's properly cheesy. The announcer is very good but the music is awful, it gets the crowd involved but reminds me of something from Butlins, couldn't be further away from a physical contact sport. im going to be having nightmares about sweet Caroline, all hating the steelers, top of the league having a laugh for months. Huge cringe. I know they want it to be family orientated but they've just made it one giant hen party. Singing about hating the Steelers does my head in too; all it does it let them know the whole league is jealous of their success.
I'm sure he was also on commission for plugging the 50/50 tickets about 100 times each day!

Earnie

Thread starter #6
And to add:

Tyson Marsh's farewell was so emotional.( before the game actually finished). Top bloke and gentleman.

Two goals each by Piggot and Jones. Haddad was trying so hard to help Piggot get a third .

Fans will have differing views on the hockey performances but despite everything a great hockey weekend with a full arena.

youngbob

Good to see Piggsy and CJ take advantage of the opportunities they were both given

I know Fife weren't the toughest opposition, and the others were feeding them the puck, but they both showed more skill than they're sometimes credited with

One thing they DO have, whenever they get the chance is PASSION, they play for the team every shift they're on the ice, there's no holding back from either of them

Just like Franny, his best year he had 9 points, but did he ever show anything less than total commitment?

Players who don't put up huge points tallies still have a part to play, they could show some of the stars a thing or two about being a Devil

Long may we continue to have players with that!

Milky

1) Nottingam is the best venue to watch ice hockey in the UK.

2) All staff were well organised, friendly and professional.

3) Never had a problem being served drinks or food

4) Had a great laugh in Legends.

5) We were shite on Saturday and infinitely better in the exhibition game on Sunday.

6) Send off for Tyson was genuinely a tear jerker and a classy moment.

7) Fair play to Braehead, impressive to see so many of their fans at POFW when they didn't qualify.

8) Apparently Steelers are number one (if we didn't know before the weekend, they spent plenty of time telling everyone) :DWD

9) Apparently 'we all hate the steelers' :Banana

10) Our fans were out sung by Coventry which was very disappointing. They seemed to sing all together and in time.

11) The clown that keeps getting kicked out of away rinks for being drunk and abusive embarrassed us again by blowing a horn during Thommo's interview. Can we please get rid of him. We may all hate him and his team but there were far too many of our fans booing him. Thought we were better than that. We'd all moan if it was the other way around.

12) Cleaning up on the player awards was brilliant. Still haven't figured out how we didn't win anything though.

13) Results aside, loved the trip and can't wait for next season!!!!!

Let's Go Devils

jimmy snels

youngbob said:
Good to see Piggsy and CJ take advantage of the opportunities they were both given

I know Fife weren't the toughest opposition, and the others were feeding them the puck, but they both showed more skill than they're sometimes credited with

One thing they DO have, whenever they get the chance is PASSION, they play for the team every shift they're on the ice, there's no holding back from either of them

Just like Franny, his best year he had 9 points, but did he ever show anything less than total commitment?

Players who don't put up huge points tallies still have a part to play, they could show some of the stars a thing or two about being a Devil

+1. Piggsy and cj work their socks off and play for the name on the front. Cj is getting better at defensive forward role and pigsy seems to hit everything and annoy the hell out of the opposition.

Ocko said:
The woman who sang GSTQ for the English teams was bloody awful, she couldn't actually sing.
I believe it was Tina who does 'The Cats Whiskers' podcast with Jono Bullard and yes, awful does not fully describe how bad she was.

Perhaps next year they could use a singer who isn't tone deaf (I'm sure there are actual singers who'd be happy to do it rather than seemingly "getting a mate in"), it would be a start...

As for the OP's comet on the Nottingham performance being by "a bunch of thugs", are you for real? They played perfect four line hockey, using the fourth line as a proper checking line, putting the pressure on Coventry to stop them having any chance to set-up or breakout. This is how hockey is supposed to be played! Give your finesse guys a break whilst preventing the opposition from using their's.

kettdevil1

jimmy snels said:
youngbob said:

+1. Piggsy and cj work their socks off and play for the name on the front. Cj is getting better at defensive forward role and pigsy seems to hit everything and annoy the hell out of the opposition.
Interesting you mention 'getting better' for CJ in a defensive role..... For me he has been a revelation in this role this year..... He started the season trying to go the Ben Davies route of keeping the puck and trying to make things happen offensively, then had two ill advised fights but since he focused on the PK I think he has been our most improved player.... It is very rare that the opposition get by him on the PP.

As a general comment about the weekend, it felt fairly subdued, even Nottingham's celebrations were quieter than normal ... Not totally sure why but although I enjoyed it, perhaps the format is becoming a little stale?

Having said that the Panthers were worthy winners, loved watching their fourth line in action and rather pleased that the Blaze's tight defensive approach, that always feels tedious to watch, was defeated in the final.

RE: the airhorn guy during Thommos, speech, was that the same guy who was jumping on the plexi in Sheffield the last time Steelers and Devils played and got thrown out??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jenks33

zooeyperry10 said:
RE: the airhorn guy during Thommos, speech, was that the same guy who was jumping on the plexi in Sheffield the last time Steelers and Devils played and got thrown out??

Not sure if it was him but I know who you are talking about. He was hammered an hour before the challenge cup final too and was arguing with security staff. Not sure if he was eventually thrown out. Something needs to be done about him, its embarrassing for the club

Milky

jenks33 said:
zooeyperry10 said:

Not sure if it was him but I know who you are talking about. He was hammered an hour before the challenge cup final too and was arguing with security staff. Not sure if he was eventually thrown out. Something needs to be done about him, its embarrassing for the club
Yes, thats him. This time he was sober and an embarrassment.

Milky said:
jenks33 said:
zooeyperry10 said:

Yes, thats him. This time he was sober and an embarrassment.
Okay so previous actions in Sheffield have been apologised for and since I have been punished , however yes I was one of few people who did blow a horn During the Thompson talk, at the time I simply joined in with whoever else was blowing their horns, i was not first to blow mine , it wasn't the brightest of ideas, however I heard quite a few chuckles , however looking back on it yes it was stupid as no one heard what he said , but i did not blow it for the duration and will not be soley blamed as there was more than 1 person doing it !

Anyone have any idea what Clements was upto at the end of the warm up for the final? Seemed to be oblivious that everyone else had left the ice 5 minutes previous and was engrossed in his game of long range shooting! Did make me laugh when he was given his marching orders though!

youngbob

kingmo19.2 said:
Anyone have any idea what Clements was upto at the end of the warm up for the final? Seemed to be oblivious that everyone else had left the ice 5 minutes previous and was engrossed in his game of long range shooting! Did make me laugh when he was given his marching orders though!
You could say the same about Zack, he's the last off the ice every home game.

It was obviously a "you go before I go" situation for both of them

:shock:

Have Hope#35

kingmo19.2 said:
Superstition? It's what he'd done the game previous... Both Zach and him wanted to be the last one off the ice then though!

leeh2016 said:
Okay so previous actions in Sheffield have been apologised for and since I have been punished , however yes I was one of few people who did blow a horn During the Thompson talk, at the time I simply joined in with whoever else was blowing their horns, i was not first to blow mine , it wasn't the brightest of ideas, however I heard quite a few chuckles , however looking back on it yes it was stupid as no one heard what he said , but i did not blow it for the duration and will not be soley blamed as there was more than 1 person doing it !
You're responsible for what you do. "He did it so I did too" is no excuse.

If you're in a Devils' shirt you're seen by others as an example of what we are - a really bad example. So grow up or go away.