Upcoming season thoughts

kingmo19.1

Feeling pessimistic about things at the moment - with schools returning in Sept and the probable spike as a result then I can see the resultant action being a return to closing pubs and restaurants to compensate (which I personally think is correct). If that happens then I think the possibility of ice hockey recommending is next to nothing.

august04

The problem that ice hockey now has, along with being an indoor spectator sport, is that it‘s played in the winter. Now if Covid is something that we have to learn to live with, then it’s likely going to be most prevalent in the winter months, as is flu, the common cold etc - there’s rarely a game in my experience when someone close by isn’t coughing and spluttering and then throw Covid into the mix and it’s a very real problem. Perhaps ice hockey should do what rugby league did a few years ago and become a spring/summer sport for the next few years until the Covid threat has diminished? There’ll likely be less of it around in the warmer, sunnier months. Easier to suggest than implement though with the prospect of different leagues starting at different times but something has to change I think, unless of course we get that all important vaccine sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

moggy#9

The problem that ice hockey now has, along with being an indoor spectator sport, is that it‘s played in the winter. Now if Covid is something that we have to learn to live with, then it’s likely going to be most prevalent in the winter months, as is flu, the common cold etc - there’s rarely a game in my experience when someone close by isn’t coughing and spluttering and then throw Covid into the mix and it’s a very real problem. Perhaps ice hockey should do what rugby league did a few years ago and become a spring/summer sport for the next few years until the Covid threat has diminished? There’ll likely be less of it around in the warmer, sunnier months. Easier to suggest than implement though with the prospect of different leagues starting at different times but something has to change I think, unless of course we get that all important vaccine sooner rather than later.
I think that makes a lot of sense domestically (I suggested April to September elsewhere), but it would be a nightmare when it comes to the CHL and world champs. Not to mention how this would complicate recruitment.

kingmo19.1

Will be interesting to see how things go with the Russian Vaccine they are rolling out en-mass in October! You’d be a brave person to get it, especially them skipping the Stage 3 testing step completely, but I hope it works and provides worthwhile data.

Devil94

Will be interesting to see how things go with the Russian Vaccine they are rolling out en-mass in October! You’d be a brave person to get it, especially them skipping the Stage 3 testing step completely, but I hope it works and provides worthwhile data.
Dont think we'll ever see that vaccine on our shores. Best we can hope for is the Oxford vaccine approved by the end of this year and rolled out early 2021.

BostonBart22

Makes sense if true regarding the winter months coming up and the expected spike, be nice if it could run feb to end july then restart sept 2021, thats my opinion..

Wannabe2

Starting in feb May possibly work if most other leagues do the same, but if not what players are going to go unpaid till then and hang about in case it happens. Which means you only pick up the players no one wants, which is then detrimental to everyone. If we wait till Feb which I can’t see happening, then you might as well wait till August and get it right surely. Of course these are just rumours, and will probably stay rumours.

E.D.S.

I assume season ticket holders have received the email about a match night vouchers or club shop vouchers. This is a really tricky one for me. I want to support the club but getting game night vouchers is pointless for me as the games that are on, I'll use my season ticket for so I won't need a voucher for the games. I have no one else to bring. I don't really want a voucher for the club shop as I'm not a shirt wearing supporter. It doesn't feel like a good offer to. I know what the club are trying to do and I supported them last year by asking them to keep my season ticket money to help them through this tough time but the offer of game night vouchers or club shop vouchers are of little use to me. Like I said I want to support the club but the longer the season is delayed the more money has gone to waste. Vouchers won't really do anything for me.

Have I misinterpreted it? Anyone else struggling with this one?

Wannabe2

If the season don’t happen I believe people will be offered a full cash refund, as this money went into a separate account in case of any problems. Vouchers were probably offered fir games missed in this last season.

Diafol

Weren't the vouchers offered to people who had booked tickets in advance for the last 4 games ?

ST holders were offered 2 free pre-season games and an exclusive season launch event.

I can't link to it but the STH offer was posted on the Devils website on 18th March.