Upcoming season thoughts

RossDaws

I'm hoping authorities allow rinks to open by December. I certainly think protocols can be put in place to make them a safe environment (providing the whole situation doesn't get drastically worse). Facemasks being mandatory, sanitisation stations at the back of each block, limiting the use of certain facilities are just some things I think clubs can do to help. Ultimately, it's down to the powers that be and, admittedly, I'm sure some people won't feel comfortable going just yet. Plus, four months is a long way away. We need to have hope of some kind.

Wannabe2

How many people are like me, today I am pretty confident we will have a season all be it a shortened one as far as months are concerned and obviously safe, tomorrow the doubts raise their heads and I am convinced it won’t happen at all. Then it goes back and forth and does your head in, that’s what not knowing does, it messes with your head, obviously I want to think positive, but the heart and the head sometimes ain’t in harmony with each other. We all know no body can call it at this moment in time, but god it’s so frustrating.

pjj365

I'm with Wannabe2 but as far as going back and forth is concerned we are no different to the English and Scottish governments with their sudden and localised lock downs. I have no doubt that sometime in the foreseeable future Wales and NI will have to the same.

The EIHL needs 2 months to be ready for a December start. That means all 4 Governments need to give assurances on minimal/no social distancing (to run from December to May) at the beginning of October. On present trends I'm not sure anyone would take such an assurance with any certainty that it will be delivered across all 4 countries and then within all the various regions in England and Scotland. Wales and NI should be less of a concern with only the 2 locations to consider (no guarantee though that Cardiff and Belfast might have to go into further lock down at some time)

It is fair to say we can hope things change for the better over the next 2 months - we are all fond of saying it's a long time, a lot can happen. It is though an equally long time between 1st October and the December start date.

I guess all we can do is hope and live with the frustration

kingmo19.1

I'm amazed that Pubs and Restaurants can open indoors but Ice Rinks are still closed. Surely, an Ice Rink is a far easier environment to make Covid Secure (I hate that term) than a Pub or Restaurant. For example, Public Skating - have scheduled sessions covering a 2 hour period and a person can only attend 1 session per day. Hand sanitiser on entry, use plastic/latex gloves when skating plus a face-mask. Ice re-cut after each session and sanitise the benches - same as sanitising Pub/restaurant seating. What's more, I'm sure most ice-rinks are considerably larger than Pubs/Restaurants, therefore, allowing even greater amounts of public space.

Last edited:

moggy#9

I'm amazed that Pubs and Restaurants can open indoors but Ice Rinks are still closed. Surely, an Ice Rink is a far easier environment to make Covid Secure (I hate that term) than a Pub or Restaurant. For example, Public Skating - have scheduled sessions covering a 2 hour period and a person can only attend 1 session per day. Hand sanitiser on entry, use plastic/latex gloves when skating plus a face-mask. Ice re-cut after each session and sanitise the benches - same as sanitising Pub/restaurant seating. What's more, I'm sure most ice-rinks are considerably larger than Pubs/Restaurants, therefore, allowing even greater amounts of public space.
The problem is that rinks seem to be considered high risk because of the temperature. I believe that this was considered a factor in the meat processing plant outbreaks.

Gisland

Perhaps we could use that for our Champions to train on - Pointless the Giants looking at it with ZERO players confirmed for next season!
:)

all I have heard since early June. is Giants will not be playing this season.... Team being mothballed until at least the proposed start of next season..Decision to be made Jan 2021 if they will even exist.

BostonBart22

I'm with Wannabe2 but as far as going back and forth is concerned we are no different to the English and Scottish governments with their sudden and localised lock downs. I have no doubt that sometime in the foreseeable future Wales and NI will have to the same.

The EIHL needs 2 months to be ready for a December start. That means all 4 Governments need to give assurances on minimal/no social distancing (to run from December to May) at the beginning of October. On present trends I'm not sure anyone would take such an assurance with any certainty that it will be delivered across all 4 countries and then within all the various regions in England and Scotland. Wales and NI should be less of a concern with only the 2 locations to consider (no guarantee though that Cardiff and Belfast might have to go into further lock down at some time)

It is fair to say we can hope things change for the better over the next 2 months - we are all fond of saying it's a long time, a lot can happen. It is though an equally long time between 1st October and the December start date.

I guess all we can do is hope and live with the frustration
we need a lockdown at cardiff bay for a month at least, gonna be a scorcher weekend, it will attract thousands of people all in close contact...

pjj365

we need a lockdown at cardiff bay for a month at least, gonna be a scorcher weekend, it will attract thousands of people all in close contact...
All off sales from local stores banned from 3pm tomorrow, extra police presence, council security and extra bins (!) being provided. Pubs now open so watch this space. Authorities now providing barriers, markings etc. - all to control crowds - police do not seem to using dispersal order to disperse crowd so what's the use

Too late - explosion in cases due soon - 3 or 4 weeks since gatherings started. Only hope now Fuel opening

Not the place for this post I know - but I feel better!!!!!

matbur

People shouting, cheering side by side, in a cool temperature environment is not going to happen by December.

Everything we've seen and learnt about this virus points to restrictions not getting much better than what they currently are - and if anything, they're likely to be worse at that point of the year.

Even IF the government and local authorities were foolish enough to permit indoor crowds without any distancing measures, it would not be sustainable and would be pretty irresponsible to be attending with families etc.

I want hockey back as much as the next person but people need to stop kidding themselves - having 3,000 fans in an arena is a huge and completely unrealistic leap away from that.

This is not a criticism of the Devils in any way, they can only plan accordingly and they've been clear and consistent throughout.

Gisland

All off sales from local stores banned from 3pm tomorrow, extra police presence, council security and extra bins (!) being provided. Pubs now open so watch this space. Authorities now providing barriers, markings etc. - all to control crowds - police do not seem to using dispersal order to disperse crowd so what's the use

Too late - explosion in cases due soon - 3 or 4 weeks since gatherings started. Only hope now Fuel opening

Not the place for this post I know - but I feel better!!!!!
It's happening. You were right. UK now over 1000 cases in a single day since June.. Numbskulls out and about not giving a crap about others have now started the ball rolling again.. No point in going into ANOTHER Lockdown. Some will always have the attitude"screw you" Guess we wait for the vaccine or just go with 'Sod it, lets just go and live with it ! .

moggy#9

Announced this morning
Fewer spectators than hockey, fewer skaters on the ice, less participant contact than hockey.
Anyone getting more concerned
The only way I can see a season happening is if it runs from about April to September, and that would need major improvements in the situation and for people to actually do what they're told. That said, some of the European leagues are preparing to restart - which surprises me a lot. I wasn't aware of their situation being massively different in terms of covid19.

Wannabe2

It’s not looking great, but with approx 16 weeks still to go there’s a chance, it may only be a chance, but it’s a chance. But again only if its a normal situation or safe, every club in this league needs bums on seats, forget any other small amount of income, it’s punters or nothing. So we live in hope, stay safe.

dave

I can understand the figure skating cancellations as lots of months (in some case over multiple years) of planning and training of routines goes into it. Some of the euro leagues might have short term financial investment to get over the start of the season that could be the key to them starting. We have no choice but to keep seating on the fence praying!