Upcoming season thoughts

Wannabe2

That's all very easy to say if you're young, and you consider the risk if you get it to be minimal. For those of us in any age bracket over 50, or indeed of you have at risk family members, the risks go up severely. It's no good saying something like "well, I'm bored with this, we should go back to normal". Wishful thinking doesn't change the reality of the situation. To be blunt, even if government and the clubs decided things could reopen, there would be a lot of people (myself included) who, just as is the case with restaurants and cinemas, just wouldn't consider it with the risk.
Totally agree with you on the age thing, if the season started tomorrow myself and my family wouldn’t go, and that would be heartbreaking but true. I will only go into a pub, restuarant, and,public transport when we are totally safe to do so and not before, it’s just not worth the gamble. Myself I think lots of fans will take the same view, forget smaller crowds, webcasts, for the season to happen and be viable it’s surely all or nothing.

Ejercito Rojas

Agree, can't see the government doing any significant sports bail out / funding. If they help one sport they'll have to help them all. We've still got the Covid / Brexit reccession to get through, so government money will be tight. If they did offer anything it'll be a small token gesture and that'll be it.

Covid is going to be round for a long time and we can't rely on them getting a vaccine. Theres still no vaccine for a lot of long standing diseases like; Malaria, Sars and HIV / Aids.

Realistically unless we're close to a vaccine by Christmas I think the only way gigs / sport events / festivals will survive is with some sort of disclaimer form. Incrediblely harsh and risky but I can't see any other way. These venues can only survive for so long.

I believe the UK Government have already agreed a £16M payout to Rugby League to “protect the sport “.
This I believe was agreed back in April when the Rugby League had to cancel their upcoming season.
The precedent has already been set!

moggy#9

I believe the UK Government have already agreed a £16M payout to Rugby League to “protect the sport “.
This I believe was agreed back in April when the Rugby League had to cancel their upcoming season.
Yes, but put it in context. That is a major sport in the North of England with thousands of voter... Er, I mean supporters. Hockey is simply not in that bracket. The only financial support I can see emerging is something to keep the rinks themselves in operation, but not the teams. I hope I'm wrong.

Ejercito Rojas

Yes, but put it in context. That is a major sport in the North of England with thousands of voter... Er, I mean supporters. Hockey is simply not in that bracket. The only financial support I can see emerging is something to keep the rinks themselves in operation, but not the teams. I hope I'm wrong.
Yes, you’re correct RL is a bigger sport, however as I say the precedent has already been set. It’s now all about lobbying Oliver Dowden, Minister for Culture, Media and Sport!

moggy#9

Yes, you’re correct RL is a bigger sport, however as I say the precedent has already been set. It’s now all about lobbying Oliver Dowden, Minister for Culture, Media and Sport!
You're right about the lobbying. Given EIHLs position as the only sport with teams in all four home Nations surely the assemblies in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland should be lending some weight to that.

BostonBart22

May be wrong but i thought it was a lot more than 16m

kingmo19.1

Govt and RL sources say that loan is structured in such a way that it “won’t be a burden”.
Typical Government quote - ambiguous, wishy washy and meaningless.

Think I'll use that when I next try to re-mortgage ..... Hey Nationwide, happy to accept your Mortgage offer, but I don't want it to be a burden - ok ! :)

Last edited:

Wannabe2

Good interview by Neil Black on Panthers forum if someone can put it on the Inferno, no idea myself wish I could, well worth a listen.

Wannabe2

December 5th is the hoping for date to begin season, no later with normal state of play, that is the target, all clubs seem to be pretty solid if this coming season don’t happen, good news and good interview.

SteveKing

Just so that all of you know, nobody is being held hostage by us or any of the other clubs that have signed players. Mr. Black has obviously chosen one way of running his club and we have chosen another.

If the season plays, we will be ready with another championship team. We owe that to ourselves, our players, our staff and especially our fans who continue to support us through thick and thin. If the season does not go on, we would certainly let our players go elsewhere but I think a lot of people are overstating the differences between the EIHL and other leagues. I would suggest that if we don't play, then the vast majority of leagues will also not be playing. The players know that. They aren't giving up anything to commit to us. The few leagues that may play will be virtually impossible to get into because every player will be wanting to do the same.

So as with everything that we do, we treat the players as partners and we both understand that we'll do what is in everyone's best interest as information continues to become clearer. It's why so many of our top players felt comfortable signing contracts even in this environment. To me, that is the only way to responsibly run the club. As long as there's a chance, we'll be ready.

JC23

Steve could ECHL teams manage playing behind closed doors, are they wealthy enough for that.
I would assume not, seeing as when COVID hit, and the season was cut short, there was a “player relief fund” set up, to make sure all the guys got paid what they were promised.

I only know this because it was supported heavily by Paul Bissonette on Spittin Chiclets.

SteveKing

Apparently not, Glynne. AHL teams are typically owned by NHL clubs and they will put the money in to have those teams play and provide players to the NHL teams. ECHL teams are owned by individuals so there wouldn't be a business case for playing with no fans. So to your point, I would say that the ECHL stands no better a chance of playing than we do and that fact stands for most leagues around the world. With all that said, I still think that people are writing off hockey too quickly. I still hope that towards the end of the year that there will be protocols available to allow for fans to attend. Whether teams can move quickly enough to start will be the issue. It would be a shame if we are in fact "held hostage" by teams that have not prepared for that possibility.

Wannabe2

Thank you Steve, we live in hope, we still have 4 months in which anything can happen. Fingers and toes crossed, stay safe all you guys .