Upcoming season thoughts

zoesdevil

Just announced by Government that plans to open ice rinks on Saturday will now be purposed due to increase in infection rate. Not good news!!

august04

And also announced that planned pilot trials of fans at events are being postponed, which is not good for the prospects of an EIHL season, even if delayed until December. Given what we’re seeing in Europe now with increases again in Spain, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg etc., there’s no way that the CHL is happening in October. While my thoughts and hopes have swayed back and forth in recent weeks, I have to say now that I don’t think there will be a 20/21 season. All very depressing!

Devil94

Will be the first of many setbacks for spectator sports.
The final nail in the coffin for the 20/21 season. And I wonder what the league will even look like when it returns whenever it does.

dave

The only situation I can see that might work at the moment is if there is government support to the league in the shortfall of crowd income/cancelled season tickets . I just can not see that happening though as revenue potentially form webcast would not be enough. Plus all the other logistics of needing enough revenue to keep facilities open to play I know there is a cross party group in the commons trying to secure funding as Ice Hockey is ten largest indoor sport and is at risk

moggy#9

Will be the first of many setbacks for spectator sports.
The final nail in the coffin for the 20/21 season. And I wonder what the league will even look like when it returns whenever it does.
I can't see a restart happening until at least April, so unless we follow suit with the NHL of having several years of offset seasons (which might make sense from a recruitment standpoint), we might as well write the while thing off and start again in August 2021. I honestly couldn't see Fife and a number of others surviving that long though without significant government intervention - which I doubt will happen due to our minority status.

matbur

As I've said previously, I just hope that the league and clubs have been contingency planning during this period because it's been quite apparent for some time that plans for the new season were ambitious, to put it politely.

kingmo19.1

The World Health Organisation could do worse than attempt to instigate a co-ordinated worldwide 3 week lock-down. Presently with countries at different stages of re-opening it’s a ticking time bomb awaiting further waves.

moggy#9

The World Health Organisation could do worse than attempt to instigate a co-ordinated worldwide 3 week lock-down. Presently with countries at different stages of re-opening it’s a ticking time bomb awaiting further waves.
The trouble is that too many countries (I'm looking at you, America), would never accept international coordination. An effort like that would need to be total and there'll always be countries or individuals willing to flout the rules for their own convenience.

kingmo19.1

I think the EIHL need to be fair to the imports that are committing themselves to British teams - if there is going to be no season, let them know ASAP as then at least they’ll have the option of plying their trade elsewhere and would maybe look to return next season via some sort of contract commitment.

revilo

Just curious about how much an EIHL team costs to run, and therefore how much gov support will be needed for maybe a cut down season (slightly less fixtures and slightly less imports), with some contributions being made by the clubs via streams/merch. I would love the see the teams play this year, but more worried about the long term survival of the league.

CaldicotDevil

I really wouldn't hold your breath for anything significant in terms of government funding.
Agree, can't see the government doing any significant sports bail out / funding. If they help one sport they'll have to help them all. We've still got the Covid / Brexit reccession to get through, so government money will be tight. If they did offer anything it'll be a small token gesture and that'll be it.

Covid is going to be round for a long time and we can't rely on them getting a vaccine. Theres still no vaccine for a lot of long standing diseases like; Malaria, Sars and HIV / Aids.

Realistically unless we're close to a vaccine by Christmas I think the only way gigs / sport events / festivals will survive is with some sort of disclaimer form. Incrediblely harsh and risky but I can't see any other way. These venues can only survive for so long.

NathanG

Agree, can't see the government doing any significant sports bail out / funding. If they help one sport they'll have to help them all. We've still got the Covid / Brexit reccession to get through, so government money will be tight. If they did offer anything it'll be a small token gesture and that'll be it.

Covid is going to be round for a long time and we can't rely on them getting a vaccine. Theres still no vaccine for a lot of long standing diseases like; Malaria, Sars and HIV / Aids.

Realistically unless we're close to a vaccine by Christmas I think the only way gigs / sport events / festivals will survive is with some sort of disclaimer form. Incrediblely harsh and risky but I can't see any other way. These venues can only survive for so long.
I like the idea of a disclaimer form. I think that masks should be compulsory in the arena like they are on public transport, also have hand sanitising stations throughout. In Bologna last night I watched a guy spray down seats in a venue. (okay, it was outdoors) ready for a concert. No reason why we can't adopt that in the UK.

If you genuinely fear this virus then by all means shield yourself away from it but things should go back to some form of normality now. Just my opinion.

kingmo19.1

Problem with a disclaimer - that's ok for individuals willing to take the risk, but if many do and the virus inadvertently spreads then that harms the wider community (including those that wouldn't take the risk). Would be surprised if the Government entertained this as a possibility.

moggy#9

I like the idea of a disclaimer form. I think that masks should be compulsory in the arena like they are on public transport, also have hand sanitising stations throughout. In Bologna last night I watched a guy spray down seats in a venue. (okay, it was outdoors) ready for a concert. No reason why we can't adopt that in the UK.

If you genuinely fear this virus then by all means shield yourself away from it but things should go back to some form of normality now. Just my opinion.
That's all very easy to say if you're young, and you consider the risk if you get it to be minimal. For those of us in any age bracket over 50, or indeed of you have at risk family members, the risks go up severely. It's no good saying something like "well, I'm bored with this, we should go back to normal". Wishful thinking doesn't change the reality of the situation. To be blunt, even if government and the clubs decided things could reopen, there would be a lot of people (myself included) who, just as is the case with restaurants and cinemas, just wouldn't consider it with the risk.

moggy#9

I really wouldn't hold your breath for anything significant in terms of government funding.
The government won't spend money on it. It's a minority sport and the pounds per vote cost and the level of publicity doesn't matter it worthwhile for them. If course if any of the club owners were mates with Boris or his advisors, that might be a different matter...

BostonBart22

some one would have to police covering by masks, its not happenning on buses, shambles, and its not medically proven masks protect you, its just a precaution not proven..

CaldicotDevil

That's all very easy to say if you're young, and you consider the risk if you get it to be minimal. For those of us in any age bracket over 50, or indeed of you have at risk family members, the risks go up severely. It's no good saying something like "well, I'm bored with this, we should go back to normal". Wishful thinking doesn't change the reality of the situation. To be blunt, even if government and the clubs decided things could reopen, there would be a lot of people (myself included) who, just as is the case with restaurants and cinemas, just wouldn't consider it with the risk.
Problem with a disclaimer - that's ok for individuals willing to take the risk, but if many do and the virus inadvertently spreads then that harms the wider community (including those that wouldn't take the risk). Would be surprised if the Government entertained this as a possibility.
It's far from an ideal solution but its the only way I can see venues & teams surviving.