Ulmer banned

Wannabe2

Thread starter #3
Can't argue with either suspension really. Its frustrating that the players on the ice at the time did not confront Rissling for his actions.
Totally agree, those players on the ice sure didn’t cover themselves in glory, poor move by them.

august04

No argument with the bans - shame Ulmer gets 3 plus a beating for his troubles but huge credit to him. Of course, if a certain ‘power forward’ who was on the ice at the time of the incident had done similar, there would have been no need for Ulmer to leave the bench in the first place.

Diablo3

So all those calling it a great hit.... Not so much now huh!
  1. Contact to the head
  2. Reckless & endangering
  3. Unsuspecting
  4. Category 2 – Reckless + repeat offender for head contact during the 2108/19 EIHL season

hip check

That's a shame for Layne who was doing what other players should've done, the fact he had to step in makes me a little frustrated and angry with other players who have a more physical role on our team but sometimes shy away from it. Other teams know now even if they didn't before that they can take liberties with our skilled players and not have to face any real retribution from us. Disappointed as Layne is a clean and fair player but has shown here he's a team player and willing to take one for the team. Respect to you Layne Ulmer.

Devils86

Fair bans for both given the situation.

Some people on here and on Twitter clearly have an issue with certain players, whether they are going through a rough patch of form, allegedly not pulling their weight or not stepping up for their line-mates...

It’s clear who people are referencing, Pope. I myself having come in after he was signed wouldn’t have labelled him a “power forward” as the Devils did when they announced him, and would put Dixon and even Hedden ahead of him in that regard as they are more physical without being a simple ‘brute’.

He’s more of a creative type for me and plays in a similar role to Linglet (to be clear I’m not comparing the two in terms of points/ability).

I think he suffers from being labelled as a power forward when he isn’t.

Has he had bad patches of form? Yes. Has he coasted through some games? Maybe. Should he have stepped in following the hit? Yes, but no more so than any other player on the ice.

JT666

The more I think about the incident, the more respect I have for Layne Ulmer. The three game ban isn't ideal, but in many ways is worth it to show we're not completely averse to sticking up for team mates. Reminds of something Andrew Lord may have done as a player, which makes it all the more baffling why we seem so programmed as a team to let these incidents go unpunished usually.

What need addressing now, is how such a gap in incident/rule interpretation, has appeared to have occurred between the on-ice officials and DOPS.

Hopefully this is addressed for the betterment of all parties, in a positive way.
It's been said several times now how this league has moved on in quality of player, etc., but surely questions need to be asked if the league has invested enough in the management side of the game to keep pace.

Finny

Personally, I think the ban on Ulmer is wrong.

There is no video evidence that he was the first player to leave the bench. In fact, before we even see Layne on the ice there are more than 6 Nottingham players on the ice and another leaves the bench to help Ulmer.
Having helped Mosey off the ice he does confront Rissling, but to say he started a fight is unfair IMO.

If he had jumped straight off the bench and started fighting then a ban would be correct. But for me they've got this one wrong.

august04

Personally, I think the ban on Ulmer is wrong.

There is no video evidence that he was the first player to leave the bench. In fact, before we even see Layne on the ice there are more than 6 Nottingham players on the ice and another leaves the bench to help Ulmer.
Having helped Mosey off the ice he does confront Rissling, but to say he started a fight is unfair IMO.

If he had jumped straight off the bench and started fighting then a ban would be correct. But for me they've got this one wrong.
The problem is, there would have been uproar and all sorts of pro Devils bias being thrown around if the Ulmer ban wasn’t as it is. I think to get the right 6 game ban for Rissling, we had to have the ban for Ulmer too - even if the evidence is “sketchy”. I’m not saying that’s right but I can see why they would do that.