Two Ales and Hockey Tales (with Wally)

JC23

Franny is one of the nicest human beings you could ever wish to meet, and if you knew his lovely Dad you would know he is a chip off the old block. They are just a very warm loving family, hard working with real morals I feel very blessed to know these guys. Neil really is Mr Cardiff Devil, he has loved this club since he was a young lad and his Dad has always been a Avid fan. Every club could do with a Franny in their ranks, he is one huge Asset to our great club and is worth his weight in gold. As you said E.D.S a top man.
Have to fully agree with this.

Franny is such a lovely guy, couldn’t do enough for you if you asked.

As for his old man…aside from once telling me he though I was Matt Nickerson on an away trip bus to the CC final (I had questionable hair like Nicker, and a massive beard) he’s a bloody good bloke too.

E.D.S.

Have to fully agree with this.

Franny is such a lovely guy, couldn’t do enough for you if you asked.

As for his old man…aside from once telling me he though I was Matt Nickerson on an away trip bus to the CC final (I had questionable hair like Nicker, and a massive beard) he’s a bloody good bloke too.
I used to sit a few seats down from Frannys father in the old BBT. He absolutely loves the sport and the Devils. Lovely guy. Programme always rolled up in his hand.

I don’t want to start a should they, shouldn’t they debate as I don’t want anyone to detract from Frannys contribution to the Club and the City but…. I assumed he’d had his shirt retired. I looked last night and noticed it wasn’t hanging up. Just made me wonder when you look at the very definition of shirt retirement, for me it’s been about contribution to the badge. Personally I think Franny has that in spades on the ice but then when you look at his contribution as a whole, especially his role in saving the Devils during the dark times and his role in the new ownership group coming over, I struggle to think of a more deserving candidate (aside from Lawless) than Franny.

Like I said I don’t want some smart arse coming on here and saying “no he doesn’t deserve it for x,y and z reasons”. I was just very surprised. I’m sure his efforts have been acknowledged in many other ways. This isn’t supposed to be a controversial post. Just a bit of a appreciation by someone on the outside looking in at what Franny does and has done.

Wannabe2

Thread starter #26
You make a very good and valid point about Franny, and I think it will be mentioned in the not too distant future, that’s only my opinion though. With all the stuff people have had to put up with, I think a few things were put on the back burner whilst we all try to get back to some sort of normality. One thing is for sure this organisation acknowledges and respects people who goes that extra mile, we all know that, it would certainly enhance the Arena to see Franny’s shirt in the rafters.

JC23

I used to sit a few seats down from Frannys father in the old BBT. He absolutely loves the sport and the Devils. Lovely guy. Programme always rolled up in his hand.

I don’t want to start a should they, shouldn’t they debate as I don’t want anyone to detract from Frannys contribution to the Club and the City but…. I assumed he’d had his shirt retired. I looked last night and noticed it wasn’t hanging up. Just made me wonder when you look at the very definition of shirt retirement, for me it’s been about contribution to the badge. Personally I think Franny has that in spades on the ice but then when you look at his contribution as a whole, especially his role in saving the Devils during the dark times and his role in the new ownership group coming over, I struggle to think of a more deserving candidate (aside from Lawless) than Franny.

Like I said I don’t want some smart arse coming on here and saying “no he doesn’t deserve it for x,y and z reasons”. I was just very surprised. I’m sure his efforts have been acknowledged in many other ways. This isn’t supposed to be a controversial post. Just a bit of a appreciation by someone on the outside looking in at what Franny does and has done.
I have zero argument against your reasoning there.

I feel if he ever steps away from the club, that would be the ultimate in respect to him.

Although, I’m not sure if there is something else, something bigger even we could do for Franny. As deserving as all the guys who have had their jerseys retired are, I feel like Franny is another level entirely.

moggy#9

I think what you've highlighted is the difference in how players are commemorated compared to what I'd describe as builders. I've advocated for a while the need to have some recognition for off ice contributions. Franny would certainly fit in that category, along with people like OJ.

Swarley

Wally has a lot to answer for ;) I've never seen so many choc bars on the ice. They are going to have to find an outlet for all these bars if it keeps up
If it's gonna keep happening I'm gonna have to reevaluate my budget as I can't keep buying 100+ bars every weekend lol Fridays chocnado from block 10 was a lot of fun and Wally absolutely loved the video my mate got of me and a friend throwing the bars down for the players.

kingmo19.1

It could get very messy if fans start chucking Twix Easter Eggs - they are in the shops now !!!! :)

Carruth will be 25 stone at the beginning of next season at this rate !!! :)

moggy#9

It could get very messy if fans start chucking Twix Easter Eggs - they are in the shops now !!!! :)

Carruth will be 25 stone at the beginning of next season at this rate !!! :)
Maybe that's how the Steelers get around the wage cap - they must pay Barry burst in hot dogs and doughnuts.

This is something I have mentioned on here a few times now and I think I may have even created a thread once asking if people agreed. I genuinely think Franny should definitely have his number retired or even one of the sponsors suites named as the Francis suite. I know that sounds extreme to some people BUT it is extremely rare that a club will get someone as dedicated and selfless as Franny when it comes to doing things for the Devils. It is about time his worth was recognised officially.

Recycle them.
Have a box in the entrance and hand them back to the kids and the big kids.
I was thinking of this last night. Surely there is a charity or purpose that these bars could go to. Maybe something like a Childrens Hospital or the NHS, Ambulance, Police or Fire stations to keep them fueled and show appreciation for their work and efforts. Could even be beneficial for the club and attract more supporters in the future by doing that or at the very least some positive publicity.

rocketbob

I was thinking of this last night. Surely there is a charity or purpose that these bars could go to. Maybe something like a Childrens Hospital or the NHS, Ambulance, Police or Fire stations to keep them fueled and show appreciation for their work and efforts. Could even be beneficial for the club and attract more supporters in the future by doing that or at the very least some positive publicity.
Maybe we could, as you have said, distribute them to first responders/healthcare and emergency workers. We should call it the Bar Down Foundation.