Tougher covid restrictions - risk to hockey?

Earnie

1300hrs/21st
it looks like the Chancellor has found a Billion Pounds under the mattress. A slice of it should come ‘ere in Wales’. So our £3million should get a boost if he (MD) puts it in the right places .

Last edited:

Pembo

There will be a massive spike in cases, a lag before hospital/deaths impact felt, then likely to be a massive fall off as virus fails to find more new people to infect. January is likely to be national car wreck for health service and education but am hopeful that early/mid Feb the fall off should be as sharp as this rise late December early January. Herd immunity doesn’t necessarily protect from new strains and protection starts falls off anyway after a few months. Should at least mean omicron hits hard but hopefully be a relatively short lived hurdle, just need to hope out-selects other strains worldwide for real prospect of some Spring/Summer normality.

Jonesy83

So we can all go mingle in primark on Boxing Day or the next sale with thousands passing through touching everything in sight but can’t go to an indoor or outdoor sporting event….just doesn’t make sense to me.
Surely proof of negative test taken 24 hours before and covid passport can work. The damage this can do to clubs (not just devils) is beyond.
Hopefully it’s just these 2 games that are effected.

So we can all go mingle in primark on Boxing Day or the next sale with thousands passing through touching everything in sight but can’t go to an indoor or outdoor sporting event….just doesn’t make sense to me.
Surely proof of negative test taken 24 hours before and covid passport can work. The damage this can do to clubs (not just devils) is beyond.
Hopefully it’s just these 2 games that are effected.
I totally agree with you, hockey in the UK is not a sport that attracts hundred of thousands of pounds, so anything past those 2 games and we could be really struggling financially. Hopefully the government will cover losses, but I doubt they'll cover 100% of it.
Saying that, negative tests will only work if they are shown as being registered as negative on the NHS app withing the previous 48hrs. I know of at least 5 people that regularly go to games, that have been showing the same negative tests for other events for months, so that way of showing the physical test doesn't work. The covid passport seems the only way to go for sport and events.

Hockeymad

All these points are valid but guess what drakeford doesn't come on the inferno lol.

He also don't listen to us.

One last thing, the world championship darts is all day every day for the next 2 weeks.
Pissed up men jumping around singing dancing and nothing is done about it.

Hey ho.

Double jabbed triple jabbed whatever you want to call it just to be told you can't go somewhere or do something.

Absolutely pointless

revilo

Scotland rules are from boxing day, for three weeks (but I suppose could be extended) so clarity there that it is not just for the games over the festive period

Samael

1300hrs/21st
it looks like the Chancellor has found a Billion Pounds under the mattress. A slice of it should come ‘ere in Wales’. So our £3million should get a boost if he (MD) puts it in the right places .
That billion pounds that has been found is probably this year's tory Christmas party fund, which I'm guessing won't be happening now :)

Kevlar68

I think its the capacity that's taken in to consideration, with that in mind motorpoint should be closed. Cinemas and theatres are low capacity also mask must be worn with very little movement of cinema/theatre goers once film/show has started unlike hockey, football, rugby etc when fans mill about during the breaks.

Last edited:

Devil94

I'm confident we can ride this out short term, but with the same restrictions just announced in Scotland, I worry about Dundee and Fife, and therefore the league on the whole. Hopefully they have the same support from the Scottish Gov that we seem to have from WG

Mazzoak

I wrote on here several weeks ago that the danger posed by the new variant wasn’t its threat of serious illness/death. What it does threaten is the continuation of services to the country, if large percentages of people are ill at the same time it potentially threatens everything from civil protection, health, food to energy and waste. The delay in data is just an excuse, the last thing any Government wants is to release information stating this variant is far less deadly at Christmas. People would ignore vaccine roll out, social distancing etc. That would instantly create a worse case scenario, low numbers of Police officers, DR‘s, nurses, low food distribution/import.

trafalgar sq a no go area new years eve, which is correct imo , surely winter wonderland in cardiff should be closed now as the crowds are huge there and prob double new yrs eve, ah wait, it is money for the council...
Totally agree, no ice hockey but winter wonderland is fine, that's pathetic. And 5000 people at the motorpoint, 1500 at the new theatre for pantomime, how come they're not affected?