Top Goaltender So Far.

Thread starter #1
Be interesting to see what people think of the netminders around the league so far.

Edinburgh have a strong keeper.

Nottingham with KSP seems strong some nights and touch and go others.

Verner isn't really stepping up for the Steelers.

Lyle started shaky (in my eyes) but after a few games suddenly is the best part of our team and a very very very very very good netminder for us.

Discuss.

start of the season i said hirsch would be the best, and ive got to say im standing by that.
StPierre seems to have a glaring weak spot high blocker side, which just about all 6 of your goals went in last time panthers were here.
Verner, i didnt rate him highly last year, and hes worse this year, reiter will be back if if gets over the injury im sure
Robinson for vipers seems good but i havent seen them yet so im only going on other peoples say
id put lyle ahead of murphy just now, on the basis, hes more important to the devils playing well, than murphy is for us at the minute our defence is on top form.

the caps goalie has 9 PIM.

Michel Robinson 2.89 92.50%
Peter Hirsch 2.56 92.50%
Stephen Murphy 2.42 92.30%
Kevin St Pierre 2.95 91%
Cody Rudkowsky 3.79 90.20%
Tommy Sandahl 4.17 90%
Stevie Lyle 3.11 89.90%
Andrew Verner 3.9 88%

:roll: :roll:

Jacko said:
id put lyle ahead of murphy just now, on the basis, hes more important to the devils playing well, than murphy is for us at the minute our defence is on top form.
Well of course Lyle is more important to us.....he's our netminder. Murphy doesn't make saves for the Devils !!

schulersagoodun said:
Jacko said:
Well of course Lyle is more important to us.....he's our netminder. Murphy doesn't make saves for the Devils !!
He's a Giants fan! :lol:

Finny

J.B said:
Michel Robinson 2.89 92.50%
Peter Hirsch 2.56 92.50%
Stephen Murphy 2.42 92.30%
Kevin St Pierre 2.95 91%
Cody Rudkowsky 3.79 90.20%
Tommy Sandahl 4.17 90%
Stevie Lyle 3.11 89.90%
Andrew Verner 3.9 88%

:roll: :roll:
Those stats are wrong. Did you get them from the EIHL site?

I certainly did and even the thought that there may be some misinformation on the EIHL website comes as a shock to me :lol:

Finny

And anyway netminder stats are not a great indicator as they are easily fiddled. Remember Cruikshank at Basingstoke? Great stats because the goal judge was adding additional 'shots' anytime the puck was near the goal.

Plus Lyle's stats have been messed up anyway. Some clever person in Sheffield never recorded the shots for the final period - so he was recorded as facing 0 shots and conceeding 1 goal. Duh!

The only netminder I am yet to see is Robinson at Edinburgh, and I can honestly say that I wouldn't swap Lyle with anyone. People claimed at the start of the season that he wouldn't win us games like Aubry/Osaer did and that would cost us the league title. Well his performances in recent games have shown us that is wrong and he is on fire at the moment.

If we are going to go gung-ho attacking from defence then there is probably no better netminder than Lyle. I can't think of anyone better than him at stopping breakaways or penalty shots. Remember in the ISL, whenever we got to penalty shots we would bring off Herlosfky and bring in Lyle. He is that good at them.

Finny

J.B said:
I certainly did and even the thought that there may be some misinformation on the EIHL website comes as a shock to me :lol:
It's shocking isn't it - but when they created it they didn't take into account games that went to overtime. Doh.

From a Blaze POV, Hirsch has been outstanding and is doing a great job of masking what is a very slow and far from rock solid Blaze defence ;)

Hirsch ... end of

His performance at Belfast on saturday was sensational ... he's getting into his groove properly now.

His stats would be even better if he didn't have a poor D unit ahead of him

Current stats ... with Murdy and Hartley taken from the top ...

Michel Robinson Newcastle 20 2.89 92.5% 4
Peter Hirsch Coventry 18 2.56 92.5% 2
Stephen Murphy Belfast 13 2.42 92.3% 0
Kevin St Pierre Nottingham 22 2.95 90.9% 4
Cody Rudkowsky Edinburgh 16 3.8 90.1% 11
Tommy Sandahl Hull 19 4.17 90% 2
Stevie Lyle Cardiff 19 3.11 89.9% 2
Kevin Reiter Sheffield 8 3.43 89.6% 0
Nathan Craze Belfast 10 2.88 89.4% 0
Dan Green Sheffield 2 6 88.7% 0
Andrew Verner Sheffield 10 3.9 88% 6

Robinson is #1 but ... i just feel he has the potential to have a few stinkers ... and we're yet to see that from Hirschy

Gazza272

bigbaz said:
Hirsch ... end of

I HATE that turn of phrase, it isnt 'end of' at all, it's your opinion yes, but just beause it is,doesnt mean everyone must suddenly agree with it.

Hirsch is very good at pucks he can see but when faced with in your face pressure in the tent he has looked shakey and very unsure of his D. I havent seen him in the skydome but i wouldnt swap him for Lyle in the games i have seen in the tent.

Out of all the goalies i have seen i'll stick by what i said at the beginning of the year and that is that they are all of a similar standard, with no one standout nettie.

I cant see my opinion changing throughout the season unless someone signs someone new.

Finny

bigbaz said:
Robinson is #1 but ... i just feel he has the potential to have a few stinkers ... and we're yet to see that from Hirschy
Didn't we stick 6 goals past you in the ChavDome earlier this season? And I think Newcastle scored 5 past you too. And maybe Nottingham.

But it's ok because Robinson has the 'potential' to.

I've seen Hirsch twice home and 3 times in Cov. One was Cov V Nott.

He looks very unsure of his defence, e.g coming out to play the puck when his Dmen are there. Some of his rebounds are massive. Saying that I don't see him any better or any worse than any goalie in the league. I agree with Gaz, not one goalie looks head and shoulders above anyone else. The one goalie I remember seeing and thinking "wow" was Sandhal who seems to have "Reiter at Basingstoke" syndrome. Facing lots of shots letting a good few in but making some really good saves.

When we first signed Lyle I was 50/50. First good few games he let in some howlers, but in the last 6 weeks? He's been very good. He's had 3 MOM's recently - In Cov, In Cardiff Vs Cov and V Belfast last weekend. Let's hope it continues.

kettdevil1

Hirsch for me..... but only for his mask. :D

I think the issue is that there is no Lehman, Pieterangelo or Robins. On any given night any NM can outperform another.

Which makes going for a Brit nettie look very sensible indeed. :D