The Pitfalls of Social Media and Forums

OJLloyd

Thread starter #1
There is a huge societal issue with anonymity, or even lack of proximity when people aren’t anonymous, and a complete lack of consideration for others.

This is even worse when it comes to famous people/politicians/sports people, because often feelings run very high. And whilst I’m in no way suggesting that Steve King is a violent man (all he’s ever done to me is high five me after we scored in Bern) but I very much doubt some of the people who questioned the dedication of the owners would say it to his face.

Now if you want to go and tweet Cristiano Ronaldo that you think he’s awful and a coward to boot, he’s not going to see it. And on the very, very small chance that he does, he has people telling him he’s amazing all the time to drown it out.

Compare this with the tool who decided to have a go at Pope on twitter after he lost a game. Pope’s twitter is run by Matt Pope, and I imagine 30-40 replies might be the highest level he gets. So the likelihood is he’ll see it.

It’s not like the tweets at/about players are ‘didn’t think he had his best game tonight’, it’s ‘he's useless/go home/you don’t care’.

And if somebody you don’t know tees off on you on social media, you tell me what your reaction would be?

There are also people who have taken personal slight at the club not tailoring the experience of being a Devil supporter particularly to them. They have then emailed the club insinuating they don’t care. It’s the equivalent of your wife forgetting to leave you any food when you’re working late, and you accusing her of wanting a divorce because of it.

Lastly there’s the Inferno. I’m amazed at the lack of reaction to the admins pointing out that the toxic stuff on here is why they no longer have access to the players. It’s as if it being pointed out that the nonsense that does get posted on here being at fault makes people feel uncomfortable. There is zero chance that comments like those we’ve seen on here this season are anything but a negative impact on the team.

It’s not censorship, it’s a case of ‘don’t be a pr*ck’. Rant over.

Kevlar68

One easy answer , Don't use social media.

I think its terrible and cowardly when people attack others through Facebook, Twitter etc but you have got the option of not being on it.
I don't use any social media like instagram, facebook, twitter. I used to for my business but got trolled so i left, best thing i ever did.
I use forums and have my own blog for my business, that's it and i get by very well thank you without the rest.
With my blog i can write what i want for people to read and follow and i get to authorise any comments before they get published and can then answer them.

Trolling on social media is for the lowest of the low but if your on it then you put yourself out there.

kingmo19.1

I don’t use Twitter, but I guess if you’re a semi-famous person and you do, then your sort of putting yourself out there to take some potential flak.

If I was said semi-famous person and it was an unpleasant experience and the content was upsetting then I’d just stop using it! It’s pretty simple.

The world and the Cardiff Devils worked absolutely fine before twitter.

pjj365

I don’t use Twitter, but I guess if you’re a semi-famous person and you do, then your sort of putting yourself out there to take some potential flak.

If I was said semi-famous person and it was an unpleasant experience and the content was upsetting then I’d just stop using it! It’s pretty simple.

It's all well and good saying get off social media but these guys have a life outside hockey and distant families in most cases. It can be a lifeline to those families, their hockey buddies around the world and staying in tune with their hobbies.

They can block posters and I am sure and hope they do where necessary

kingmo19.1

It's all well and good saying get off social media but these guys have a life outside hockey and distant families in most cases. It can be a lifeline to those families, their hockey buddies around the world and staying in tune with their hobbies.

They can block posters and I am sure and hope they do where necessary
Just use email or something else instead!

Twitter isn’t the be all and end all!

Samael

I don't use twitter either but why should those that do have to put up with keyboard warriors talking out of their posterior and being poisonous over the internet?

Basically the op is bang on when they say "It's not censorship, it's a case of don't be a prick".

Rob Batch

Our team did not play to their full potential down the stretch. If they manage to achieve that over the next two weekends then we win some silverware. The pitfall being, social media is uncontrolable, so don't try.

Last edited:

pjj365

Just use email or something else instead!

Twitter isn’t the be all and end all!
Fair point but I use both.

Believe it or not though it is more intimate than mail, more dynamic if you want it to be and less time consuming than having mail shots from a couple disinterest groups I'm involved in

mweller

Ok, you may not use Twitter, but it's pretty widely used. One of the great things about UK hockey is that we are close to the players - they come in the bar, they chat after games, you see them in the Co-Op after the Vaxjo game (ok, that one is niche). And you can chat to them on social media. Not their social media team or assistant. Actually them. Why should we have that removed from the rest of us because of idiots? It's also a pretty poor argument to say people who are harassed should abandon those spaces and cede them to trolls, that's got an element of victim blaming about it, rather than making it socially unacceptable to be an online a**ehole.

Sheincar

Don't forget "fans" have driven Reddick from Twitter. Why should he have to do that because idiots decide to give him verbals?

Mazzoak

I very much doubt many business people aren't dedicated to their business, in the same way I’ve yet to meet anyone who doesn’t enjoy having a hobby. The two together frankly is the perfect combination, who wouldn’t want to earn money watching the sport they love. I’d love to be sat in the crowd watching the team l own win games, with a sly smile on my face, knowing that everyone else who is loving the game increases my bank balance. We’ve all heard the advice if your job is your hobby, you’ll never work a day in your life.

As for social media, maybe the approach is for players to run several accounts, I’m pretty sure the owners have a few. Players could post stuff, just don’t read the comments afterwards. The famous have the luxury of PR companies to run the various media outlets. Always makes me laugh when people loose it when a famous person responds, so nieve.

Last edited:

Gospel

There will always be idiots in any walk of life, whether it be at your place of work, neighbours, sports events, social media or forums. How much oxygen you give them to keep going depends on you.

If you look at the Inferno, before the new owners came in there were still a few about but as the team wasnt doing so well most complaints were about the owners, facilities but occasionally moaning about games/players but now its worse due to the success of the team. Also, what other alternative is there to the Inferno forum wise? Anybody else prepared to invest in a site like these guys have done? Ive no idea how much work/costs it takes but im fairly sure its not easy or cheap.

New owners come in & look at how social media savvy the team/players became. Nearly every player was encouraged to engage with fans, why? To grow the fan base, increase the clubs income and get bums on seats. When you start doing that the idiots get on the bandwagon & the bad things happen. Im not saying its right but it goes with the territory in these days.

Look at where we are today, Mr King posts here & Mr Parker also but only occasionally so they must be keen to hear fans views and interact with them, whilst they may not like certain things that are said about players. It seems the fan Council isnt as active as maybe it was thought it would & for me i dont feel that the club has been proactive in getting lets say player interviews out to the fans like the Inferno used to do. I thought i read at the start of the season that some young fans were going to do them, did that happen & did i miss it?

Interviews that have been published, but not by the club, are from people already with some connection to the club as far as i can make out and their connection to the fans is far far less than the Inferno. For me, i dont see why the Inferno cant be allowed to use their interviews with the players like before i mean they arent interviewed live and its broadcast to the nation to see & hear! If the club arent budging then thats their prerogative but blaimg the inferno for idiots isnt right.

Im not trying to bash the club or owners as whats been achieved over the last few years beats the old cold Thursday nights in the tent against Hull by a country mile. I guess what im trying to say is not everything is gold but dont give the idiots the replies they crave & dont blame the Inferno for those idiots that post crap as they exist everywhere.

Mazzoak

Fully agree with Gospel, l wish it was different. Maybe it’s time the club didn’t hide or bemoan the fan base. Flood the Inferno and social media with info, interviews, podcasts, make your voice loud and proud. Just because some illiterate morons with sad lives cannot cope with others success.