The Great Drakeford - Omicron - Crowd restriction debate

Slartibartfast

Thread starter #1
I noticed a number of threads on the Devils forum going off topic because people understandably want to express their opinions on Drakefords Omicron restrictions which have killed our hockey nights for the moment.
So whether you are pro or anti restrictions, love or hate Mark Drakeford feel free to express your opinions here. Keep it friendly please.

moggy#9

I honestly can't see crowds being allowed at IAW this month, particularly given the comments around crowds for the annual chase-the-egg-boozathon. Without substantial financial support I can see the season being called off in the next fortnight. However, if the season does get completed I am increasingly optimistic about this team making a good finish to the season.

Slartibartfast

Thread starter #4
Here is my take on it. South Africas experience was that Omicron is massively infectious but unlike previous waves they did not see a significant increase in hospitalisations and deaths. Peoples stay in hospital on average was significantly less also and the numbers requiring oxygen or ventilation was much lower than previous variants.
The initial reasons given for ignoring this data is that the people infected in South Africa were younger and they have higher immunity because they have been infected by Delta rather than being vaccinated. (which is where most UK immunity comes from)
However as weeks have gone on Omicron has made its way through all ages and the numbers are declining and clinicians in SA have commented that it does not seem to be having such a bad impact on the elderly as Delta.
Also a study recently found that Omicron replicates in the bronchials whereas previous variants replicate in alveoli (tiny air sacs). It is the inflammation in the alveoli that gives people pneumonia which is often the cause of death. (though the cytokine storm can still kill)
The media have been slow to pick up on all this but questions are now starting to be asked in the media (e.g. Jeremy Vine this morning) as to whether Omicron is mild and whether the restrictions are necessary.
I think by the end of January there will be more than enough data to show how Omicron is behaving in the UK and whether the high number of infections will still stretch the NHS despite the lower severity. However my fear is that Drakeford will still do what he wants for 2 reasons.
1. I think he likes to wield his devolved power and do things differently from Boris
2. He has form for ignoring evidence. i.e. a 45 million pound enquiry that concluded that the M4 relief road benefits outweighed the drawbacks.

So my view is that these restrictions should be lifted as soon as possible but Drakeford will drag it out

RedDevil17

Here is my take on it. South Africas experience was that Omicron is massively infectious but unlike previous waves they did not see a significant increase in hospitalisations and deaths. Peoples stay in hospital on average was significantly less also and the numbers requiring oxygen or ventilation was much lower than previous variants.
The initial reasons given for ignoring this data is that the people infected in South Africa were younger and they have higher immunity because they have been infected by Delta rather than being vaccinated. (which is where most UK immunity comes from)
However as weeks have gone on Omicron has made its way through all ages and the numbers are declining and clinicians in SA have commented that it does not seem to be having such a bad impact on the elderly as Delta.
Also a study recently found that Omicron replicates in the bronchials whereas previous variants replicate in alveoli (tiny air sacs). It is the inflammation in the alveoli that gives people pneumonia which is often the cause of death. (though the cytokine storm can still kill)
The media have been slow to pick up on all this but questions are now starting to be asked in the media (e.g. Jeremy Vine this morning) as to whether Omicron is mild and whether the restrictions are necessary.
I think by the end of January there will be more than enough data to show how Omicron is behaving in the UK and whether the high number of infections will still stretch the NHS despite the lower severity. However my fear is that Drakeford will still do what he wants for 2 reasons.
1. I think he likes to wield his devolved power and do things differently from Boris
2. He has form for ignoring evidence. i.e. a 45 million pound enquiry that concluded that the M4 relief road benefits outweighed the drawbacks.

So my view is that these restrictions should be lifted as soon as possible but Drakeford will drag it out
You should be in charge rather than Drakeford!

Kevlar68

I am not in to politics at all. No matter who has been in charge it has never changed my life in any way.
Now then, as for the restrictions I just don't get it.
Been in london for 5 days and felt more safe there with a more dense population per square mile than in cardiff and Swansea as many more people are wearing masks even just on the street. Younger generation also abiding by rules in place. Felt safe in bars, restaurants, shops and in our hotel.
They only need to implement one rule and to all without exemption, WEAR A MASK.
It really isn't difficult. The spread of the virus is the problem which a majority is airborne . If the spread is cut back drastically due to masks why is it so difficult to implement?
No mask, on the spot fine £100, wouldn't see so many without them then.

Last edited:

moggy#9

I am not in to politics at all. No matter who has been in charge it has never changed my life in any way.
Now then, as for the restrictions I just don't get it.
Been in london for 5 days and felt more safe there with a more dense population per square mile than in cardiff and Swansea as many more people are wearing masks even just on the street. Younger generation also abiding by rules in place. Felt safe in bars and restaurants and in our hotel.
They only need to implement one rule and to all without exemption, WEAR A MASK.
It really isn't difficult. The spread of the virus is the problem which a majority us airborne . If the spread is cut back drastically due to masks why is it so difficult to implement?
No mask, on the spot fine £100, wouldn't see so many without them then.
I've said all along that they key problem is ineffective enforcement. People will do what they like if they think there's little chance of getting caught - this is why we still see so many people doing things like driving whilst using mobile phones. Drakeford is incredibly naïve, while Johnson simply doesn't believe in forcing people to do anything.

Kevlar68

I've heard the saying "self policing" and words to that effect, the people of Cardiff and Swansea prefer not to bother with the rules, IDIOTS!

Last edited:

rolf

Sadly for what it is worth, I believe this whole exercise has just been about protecting the NHS and not the population. Original slogan said just that. You could die as often as you wanted as long as you were not waiting outside a full hospital. Far too many people did, but the NHS wasn't overrun so hats off to politicians!!!! Now it is just about different two Bob local politicians in our composite countries trying to prove they know better.....if ever there was a onesize fits all situation it would be now surely?

moggy#9

I just read a tweet suggesting that some fans have attended eihl games whilst they were supposed to be in isolation. I've no idea if this is true, or what team might be involved, but if this is the case, this individuals should be banned for life and prosecuted.

Last edited: