The future of the Elite League and its teams

Kevlar68

Back on topic, I can't see season 20/21 happening. As for the future of the elite league I think as long as there's backers for the teams and there is financial reward it will continue but at what standard?

august04

I hope we delay until the very last moment possible, rather than just write the league off next season in the next few weeks. The NHL are likely to delay starting next season until December, which will mean next year finishes later than usual. So if they can, why can’t the rest follow? I’m sure several EU leagues will start later than October, if the virus situation allows. Does it matter if the EIHL starts in December and finishes in say, June? I’m sure stuff like the world championships will be put back as well. Of course, that all depends on whether the virus is still effecting everything.

Hedd Wyn John

I hope we delay until the very last moment possible, rather than just write the league off next season in the next few weeks. The NHL are likely to delay starting next season until December, which will mean next year finishes later than usual. So if they can, why can’t the rest follow? I’m sure several EU leagues will start later than October, if the virus situation allows. Does it matter if the EIHL starts in December and finishes in say, June? I’m sure stuff like the world championships will be put back as well. Of course, that all depends on whether the virus is still effecting everything.
The covid situation in America which is seeing record cases must be a big part in that NHL delay.

Frankly though we're in a very fluid situation. If the virus likes cold weather the on we can see a significant spike in cases come oct/nov/dec & while I don't see Wales or UK going back into film lockdown (country simply cant afford it) I can well imagine it puts the kybosh on spectator sports.

august04

The covid situation in America which is seeing record cases must be a big part in that NHL delay.

Frankly though we're in a very fluid situation. If the virus likes cold weather the on we can see a significant spike in cases come oct/nov/dec & while I don't see Wales or UK going back into film lockdown (country simply cant afford it) I can well imagine it puts the kybosh on spectator sports.
The key word you’ve used is “if” - nobody really knows whether there’s going to be a second wave come the winter. Quite possible but not guaranteed. Or whether we may have a functioning vaccine by then - unlikely, but possible. I’m pretty sure more treatments will be available then if the second wave happens. So I hope the EIHL keep their options open as long as they can.

moggy#9

The key word you’ve used is “if” - nobody really knows whether there’s going to be a second wave come the winter. Quite possible but not guaranteed. Or whether we may have a functioning vaccine by then - unlikely, but possible. I’m pretty sure more treatments will be available then if the second wave happens. So I hope the EIHL keep their options open as long as they can.
If things do resume I could see masks being required for all spectators, as well as bars and food outlets being closed (those would require people to take their masks off). I could also see visiting fans being banned.

Hedd Wyn John

If things do resume I could see masks being required for all spectators, as well as bars and food outlets being closed (those would require people to take their masks off). I could also see visiting fans being banned.
Welsh Govt has just made masks mandatory for public transport and rumours are England are going to make it mandatory inside shops (apparently it already is mandatory in Scotland)

Personally if I get to watch hockey I don't mind putting a bin bag over my head.

moggy#9

Welsh Govt has just made masks mandatory for public transport and rumours are England are going to make it mandatory inside shops (apparently it already is mandatory in Scotland)

Personally if I get to watch hockey I don't mind putting a bin bag over my head.
I know that they're already doing club face coverings, but I think that they could widen the range to include a snarl like the club logo. It would make the crowd look even more intimidating.

SteveKing

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in quite some time is the combination of masks for all spectators and a "health passport" to get into sporting events. If you have an app on your phone that shows a time-stamped negative COVID test result from within the last three days and you also wear a mask, I can see that helping immensely to make the public and the medical community feel more comfortable in allowing sports of all kinds to be played.

Hawaii has adopted something similar to get into their state. A negative test result from the last three days has to be shown to even get on the airplane to go to Hawaii. It's not perfect and it's a pain in the ass but for me it's better than not being able to do the things we love.

Samael

Lol its meant to be a snarl is it? I always thought it looked like someone trying to strain while taking a dump. We all see things differently though.

Kevlar68

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned in quite some time is the combination of masks for all spectators and a "health passport" to get into sporting events. If you have an app on your phone that shows a time-stamped negative COVID test result from within the last three days and you also wear a mask, I can see that helping immensely to make the public and the medical community feel more comfortable in allowing sports of all kinds to be played.

Hawaii has adopted something similar to get into their state. A negative test result from the last three days has to be shown to even get on the airplane to go to Hawaii. It's not perfect and it's a pain in the ass but for me it's better than not being able to do the things we love.
Steve we're so slow here in the UK, they've only just discovered the wheel in some parts of the country so we got no chance with a health passport, maybe ask again in 10 years time ;)

august04

Unfortunately the health passport idea would require mass testing for people without symptoms. That’s not going to happen anytime soon over here (!) and I’m pretty sure wouldn’t be funded by our NHS.

SteveKing

Exactly right, August04. The thing is though that I don't think that governments will have a choice by then. It'll be cheaper to provide testing, masks and therapeutic drugs than it is to keep paying people not to work and funding companies to stay in business. Pretty easy decision to make in my mind...but that doesn't mean that governments make good decisions!!!

Samael

With a face like yours I see what you mean. You do look pretty desperate to be honest.
My face? How do you know what my face looks like, desperate or otherwise? If you are referring to this forum avatar then ok........ Glynne, you really do type some stupid things sometimes. l might have known a tongue in cheek remark about the club crest would be met by responses like this, and it really doesn't suprise me the first came from you.

lt's a club crest, one that doesnt look like a snarling devil to me, so what? It doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things, what is more important is the future of the league and it's clubs.

Wannabe2

My face? How do you know what my face looks like, desperate or otherwise? If you are referring to this forum avatar then ok........ Glynne, you really do type some stupid things sometimes. l might have known a tongue in cheek remark about the club crest would be met by responses like this, and it really doesn't suprise me the first came from you.

lt's a club crest, one that doesnt look like a snarling devil to me, so what? It doesn't matter in the greater scheme of things, what is more important is the future of the league and it's clubs.
Chill out brother it’s not about you, I don’t even know what you look like, it’s about your avatar not anything else why would it be. Christ I wish I had said Jack all, don’t bring personnel into it, that’s bloody ridiculous. I obviously need to give you a wide birth.