The future of the Elite League and its teams

CaldicotDevil

My gut feeling is they'll allow sport to happen sooner than they should.

The only uk sports that could survive off tv deals and could afford to be played behind closed doors would be; Premier League, F1 & golf.

Scary reality is if the 20/21 season doesn't happen then a lot of; Pro, Semi Pro & Amateur sports club will go bust.

matbur

Thread starter #83
Every sporting organisation will have their own strengths and weaknesses that will impact their ability to manage upcoming challenges, but lots are going to suffer and you're probably right to say some teams and competitions won't survive.

That's why I think the EIHL might have their best chance of surviving by canceling the forthcoming season for damage limitation and come back 12 months down the line when things should hopefully be more stable. There should also be some learning in it for those running it from other teams and organisations which did attempt to continue.

It's just mad isn't it. Writing something like this would have seemed crazy or hysterical six months ago but now it seems logical.

pjj365

We have focused on teams so far but what about the ice?

Will PI survive without regular income - Manchester & Coventry
Will the private company that owns Kirkaldy survive - Fife
Will Breahead shopping complex survive - and thus the arena - Glasgow

I can see the major multi purpose arenas surviving - Sheffield, Nottingham and Belfast
Similarly local authority run rinks should survive - Guildford & Dundee

The Viola should survive but on a shoe string due to lost revenue

Worst case scenario 6 teams with a guaranteed home and 4 looking for alternatives

tim78

Better than cancelling the season is surely to play with a very limited budget /bench and spaced seating and webcasts.

Back to 2 line hockey and 1 or 2 imports, though hopefully ticket price would be reduced.

kingmo19.1

Don’t worry folks, DevilsATW will be finishing his online school lessons within the next hour and will hopefully be here to sort all this mess out on behalf of the league!

Devilsatw

I said the virus will be all over and things will be back to normal 2/3mths...

I haven’t said blaze storm etc will go bust and tbh I don’t care

matbur

Thread starter #88
How on earth do you possibly fathom things being back to normal in 2 or 3 months?

We are amidst a global pandemic that for the foreseeable future is untreatable. You sir, are a fool.

And not a great hockey fan not caring if the Storm, or the Blaze go bust. Hope none of their fans read this crap from a so called Devils fan. That’s a very low blow.
Most definitely, without these teams there is no league, all teams in the UK will find it tough and hopefully they all pull through!

RTfarty

Better than cancelling the season is surely to play with a very limited budget /bench and spaced seating and webcasts.

Back to 2 line hockey and 1 or 2 imports, though hopefully ticket price would be reduced.
I wonder if this would do more harm than good for the league - the 'anything better than nothing' approach could result in a larger financial loss if clubs are unable to recoup the money they are spending to run a team in the league (Player wages, equipment, travel, ice time, staff etc.).

It might work for the first few weeks, but at what stage do fans lose interest because of the decline in standard, or willingness to risk their own health by attending matches should the situation be no better come the winter? You also have to take into consideration the risk of one player/staff member catching COVID19 and the impact that would have on the league - teams in isolation, fixtures postponed etc.

It's a catch-22 of course; as some clubs/ice rinks could cease to exist come 2021 if they can't generate any income at all this year. But without the infrastructure to isolate teams and reduce their risk of contracting the virus (as has been speculated for the Premier League) I can't see how the EIHL could play out a full season.

My best guess is that we have a shortened season beginning in early 2021 if things improve - but I think it's a certainty we won't have any hockey come September.

osh

It’s highly likely the EIHL will follow what happens in other leagues in Europe. I think it will be a shortened season in Europe, perhaps not starting until late October, early November at the earliest. I do not envisage any CHL compétition for thé 20/21 season, and I would imagine our league would playing either 2 home and 2 away against other teams ( 3 if very lucky ) no Challenge Cup and usual play offs at the end of season. Of course, if the Corona virus is still not under control approaching October, I don’t see any 20/21 season, better safe than sorry.

nicky27

What have people done with regard to paying for season tickets. We have to pay for a family ticket in 8 days and I'm scared to pay out all that money with things as they stand. All I'm having from club is that they have 2 potential start dates. With the delay in getting our play off money back, I'm scared to part with such a large amount of money. My biggest worry is that if things do go ahead but are delayed and there are lots of week night games due to playing catch up, can I still ask for my money back before season starts as I will miss a lot of games due to having children in school (if they ever go back that is!!!). Any advice appreciated.

matbur

Thread starter #97
I'm going to renew but if I personally don't feel it's safe enough to attend crowded public areas by the time the season starts, or if the format is changed somewhat (i.e reduced teams/shorter season), I'll cancel it and get a refund before it starts.

I get completely why the organisation needs financial commitment from season tickets in these times, but I do think the renewal date should be extended until there is greater clarity on long term distancing measures and league start dates/format. I suppose it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation though, in that without knowing their budgets, teams cannot make planning decisions.

Wannabe2

I have paid for 4 season tickets, and previously read what the club said about a separate account, I have no worries on that front, with past owners I wouldnt have bothered one iota, but i have total faith in our current owners. They need to know figures for season tickets to enable them to put together a winning squad budget and if we can help with that, then I think we should. It’s times like these that if we can all do our bit to help, then let’s do it. Stay Safe Everyone.

CaldicotDevil

What have people done with regard to paying for season tickets. We have to pay for a family ticket in 8 days and I'm scared to pay out all that money with things as they stand. All I'm having from club is that they have 2 potential start dates. With the delay in getting our play off money back, I'm scared to part with such a large amount of money. My biggest worry is that if things do go ahead but are delayed and there are lots of week night games due to playing catch up, can I still ask for my money back before season starts as I will miss a lot of games due to having children in school (if they ever go back that is!!!). Any advice appreciated.
Reality is nobody has a clue how this is going to pan out so you may struggle with anwsers. My suggestion would be if you have any reservations to email Todd or Katrina. Both very approachable and they'll give you the best advise based on what knowledge they have now.

You may have to be a bit patient with an anwser due to processing ST's.

Kevin roog

Provisional league start date of 3rd October for the league just announced, bit of a late start considering that geezer on here said everything will be back to normal in June