The future of the Elite League and its teams

rocketbob

New Zealand have been very lucky with this virus, they have only had 22 deaths, although that’s 22 too many. They have been hit very mildly, so don’t have the same problems as us.
They weren't "lucky". They locked down early and had an effective track and trace system in place very swiftly (rather than using it as an excuse to hand a mate millions of pounds to make a worthless app). Competent not lucky.

august04

And a population of about 60 million less people than the U.K. Hardly a fair comparison. It’s widely accepted that London was the first area to be hit here, as you’d expect given it’s the capital city and they have the busiest UK airports. The virus would have been spread far and wide in the U.K. after it hit London. New Zealand closed the borders and that was the right thing to do for them, but luckily for them don’t have one of the biggest cities in the world with visitors from every corner of the globe and busiest transport hubs. Whatever your politics, you can’t compare the two (and my big issue with the way this has been handled in the U.K. is the appalling way that the virus was allowed to enter care homes from old patients removed from hospitals without testing and that happened in England, Scotland and Wales). And I’m still absolutely convinced the virus was here way before it was officially acknowledged by the Chinese/WHO. I really don’t believe it would have made any difference if we closed our borders a little earlier. It was already here in December/early January (maybe before that even), nothing will convince me otherwise.

Last edited:

BostonBart22

And a population of about 60 million less people than the U.K. Hardly a fair comparison. It’s widely accepted that London was the first area to be hit here, as you’d expect given it’s the capital city and they have the busiest UK airports. The virus would have been spread far and wide in the U.K. after it hit London. New Zealand closed the borders and that was the right thing to do for them, but luckily for them don’t have one of the biggest cities in the world with visitors from every corner of the globe and busiest transport hubs. Whatever your politics, you can’t compare the two (and my big issue with the way this has been handled in the U.K. is the appalling way that the virus was allowed to enter care homes from old patients removed from hospitals without testing and that happened in England, Scotland and Wales). And I’m still absolutely convinced the virus was here way before it was officially acknowledged by the Chinese/WHO. I really don’t believe it would have made any difference if we closed our borders a little earlier. It was already here in December/January, nothing will convince me otherwise.
care home deaths not in daily deaths total either, you can add another 25 thou to the 44 thou deaths as well..

Samael

I've always thought NZ and Wales to be very similar countries. Sheep, lots of greenery and mountains, rugby, well if you can call what we play compared to them rugby.....

Back on topic, as much as it pains me to say it, l just don't see 2020/2021 happening unless a vaccine is found in the next couple of months. I also see some smaller clubs folding as a result. I really do hope that isn't true as I don't want to see the EIHL become a fatality of covid.

august04

Yes but those only count cases where someone has died having tested positive for covid.
You can argue the toss on what is and isn’t included (for example, hospital deaths in the daily numbers contain those who tested positive or those where Covid was mentioned on the death certificate), that‘s not going to change anything. The numbers are horrendous and no one can deny that and the only way you’ll get a real feel for it will be in time, when the total excess death figures become known. I was responding to the poster claiming that no care home deaths were included in the daily numbers, which is just not true.