Team Wales

Thread starter #1
I had a thought. I reckon it would be cool if there was a Welsh national ice Hockey team. Well just like put together for a charity match or something. i think it would be a good idea, Wales could play England and Scotland. Plus it would be brilliant if they auctioned off the jerseys.

So if there was a Welsh Team what does everyone think the roster should be.

For a start, Lyle and Craze don't sound bad in net hehe....

Definately :)

Netminders
Stevie Lyle
Nathan Craze

Defence
Alex Symonds
Jason Stone

Forwards
Phill Hill
Matt Myres
Jonathan Philliips
Ben Davies
Niel Francis
Lee Cowmeadow
Jamie Hayes
Nicky Lewis
Me :lol:

uhh can't really think of anymore :p
ahh well... It's a start

TheStub

With only the one Welsh rink, there is a limit to the player pool. So, team Wales is Devils Development program.

Perhaps if there were more rinks, then we would see it being more feasible.

Thread starter #6
Two Welsh Rinks!
Haha Deeside ice rink up north too.

But still, I was talking to Steve Fisher and he said that it would literally be just Cardiff.

Still, I agree with a bit more promotion, and a couple new Welsh rinks I think we could be on to something here. Hehe

scottydoesntknow said:
Netminders
Stevie Lyle
Nathan Craze

Defence
Alex Symonds
Jason Stone

Forwards
Phill Hill
Matt Myers
Jonathan Phillips
Ben Davies
Neil Francis
Lee Cowmeadow
Jamie Hayes
Nicky Lewis
Me :lol:

uhh can't really think of anymore :p
ahh well... It's a start
Martin Clarkson an option in goal aswell. Also isn't there a Welsh goalie playing in Germany somewhere, who holds a British passport but can't play for GB as he wasn't trained here. We'll ignore that stupid rule and let him play for Team Wales :D

Think we need a few more on D. Only other one I can think of is Tom Evans from the Devils ENL, he's played a few friendlies for the Devils but he's still quite young.

There's also Joey Lewis who plays for Swindon who I think is Welsh. He's just played with Ben Davies for GB U18's so we'll have him too. Um Phil Manny, Steve Fisher, Corey Watkins, Nicky Chinn. There's bound to be more from the ENL team we could have too!

I think there would need to be a WIHA (a Governing body) and we dont have one, never sure why as this could also possibly ensure greater funding to Sports Council for Wales funding options etc (not big lottery grants, thats not going to happen, but athlete funding and maybe development money for teams).

Mike Newbury, James Manson, Rodri Evans all came through Cardiff Juniors as defencemen.
Sam Smith (F) the kids got real size and has good experience in North America.

Only other one who's probably a little too 'fresh' yet is Adam Harding.

edit: Ricky deacon is getting match fit again too-small but comparable to Ben Davies, never really got a shot.

If Team Wales did exist either they couldn't play competitive or players would become ineligible for GB. the IIHF get very little funding the available funs for a minnow in comparison would be dwarfed in by my nippers piggy bank-and she spends like any wonman LOL.

I know there was a rumour of an WELSH CUP of sorts between Cardiff ENL and Deeside, not sure what happened. Can't see that happening now as the ENL season and soon their practices will have finished for the summer.

Mooney#16

Funnily enough. The Titans considered trying to set up a five/six nations rec competition getting teams from all the rugby nations and playing a similar tournament to the rugby. We would of course have self appointed ourselves as Team Wales. Cheeky buggers. Sadly this just isn't an affordable option at rec level. But there is a concept there that might one day get of the ground.