Team GB

Gaz G

Thread starter #1
A hypothetical question here really, but if Team GB ever qualified for the Winter Olympics how would it affect the EIHL?

Would we carry on as normal without the Brits, putting the teams with those players at a major disadvantage?

Would we have a 3 week mid season break? Maybe starting a week or so earlier than normal and finishing a week or so later? This meaning the playoffs would have to change dates etc and clubs would have to pay players for 3 extra weeks whilst making no money.

Or take a 3 week break and cram in to an already hectic schedule the games that would have been played during this time?

Just watching the ice hockey and it got me thinking.

Cheers.

SteveKing

I'm not sure Gaz but I do know that I'd be there in my brand new Bowns UK jersey! On a side note, we actually put a couple of Devils player's names forward to people we know at Hockey Canada for consideration for the Canadian Olympic team this year and they were heavily considered. We would have been happy to have given those players that incredible opportunity and it would have been tremendous exposure for our league.

What an incredibly selfless thing to do, to let key players fulfill a lifetime ambition at the potential expense of their / our club, this ownership group never ceases to amaze me. On a side note I would love to see Lordo involved in team GB I'm not too sure what will happen to Corey but I would like to wish him good luck.

Gaz G

Thread starter #5
I honestly just thought it would be an interesting debate.
I quite agree with you and would support the decision to let any players go and play for their respective countries.
However, I reckon many in the U.K would be terribly upset if it affected their teams chances in certain competitions etc.
Is it time to put GB hockey first?

dave

There was and maybe still is the rule that states if you have more then 3 players called up for international duty you can postpone games. Now that is/was for short term IIHf events (world championships). I am sure that if GB qualified for the olympics the league would shut down but would fill season with a few more extra mid week games rather than start early and go later due to the world championship calendar etc.

osh

Forget the 2 conference system, revert back to playing each team 4 times ( twice home and twice away ) that would mean a total of 44 league games as opposed to the present 56. Alternatively, keep the present conference system and play 56 games but cancel the challenge cup for that season. Either format would allow sufficient time for teams to break during the Olympics. There would be plenty of owners complaining about having to pay inactive players during such a break, but then they wouldn’t be looking at bettering the game in our countries would they.
On another note, and just like rugby, I would like to see players who have played here for 3 seasons being allowed to play for team GB. There would need to be number restrictions and I would suggest that perhaps a maximum number of 6 foreign players be allowed to strengthen the team at Olympic and World Championship competitions. It would result in more exposure throughout GB&I and would probably result in major sponsors becoming more involved once again.

OJLloyd

This is an interesting one.

On the one hand I really want the Devils to win every game, and our strongest team gives us more of a chance.

But I’d also never want to get in the way of aspirational players wanting to represent their country at the highest level.

Think I’d swing to wanting them to go, and if we had to play without them then so be it.

Also on Steve’s note up there, I can’t believe that Joey M didn’t get the call up (though also a little glad as he’d be immediately spotted by every top team in Europe and some NA ones as well)

Sheincar

Forget the 2 conference system, revert back to playing each team 4 times ( twice home and twice away ) that would mean a total of 44 league games as opposed to the present 56. Alternatively, keep the present conference system and play 56 games but cancel the challenge cup for that season. Either format would allow sufficient time for teams to break during the Olympics. There would be plenty of owners complaining about having to pay inactive players during such a break, but then they wouldn’t be looking at bettering the game in our countries would they.
On another note, and just like rugby, I would like to see players who have played here for 3 seasons being allowed to play for team GB. There would need to be number restrictions and I would suggest that perhaps a maximum number of 6 foreign players be allowed to strengthen the team at Olympic and World Championship competitions. It would result in more exposure throughout GB&I and would probably result in major sponsors becoming more involved once again.
They already can; Chris Blight did. http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/championships/iihf-eligibility/

osh

Yes I know, and others before him too.So why aren’t they picked now ? Is that down to coach not bothering to select an import who qualifies by residency period ? Is that avenue closed for some reason ? I’m pretty sure eligible imports would strengthen the side, there has to be better options than Liam Stewart available surely ( and I don’t mean to disrespect his efforts when playing for GB )