Sunday 6th September

Finny

Thread starter #1
What with all the fuss over 4pm/6pm face-offs I've only tonight started looking at the fixtures and noticed this clash on the first weekend:

Wales v Israel 5pm
Devils v Steelers 6pm

Might affect the size of the crowd with people either going to the football or watching it on TV, plus I'd have thought it will cause traffic problems.

(Any chance of a midday face-off?)

Ocko

You would have to delay it by almost 2 hours to not clash. With the rugby it's normally a 4pm kick off, which finishes just after 6pm. As Finny said the only way to avoid it is to go much earlier.

pjj365

Ocko said:
You would have to delay it by almost 2 hours to not clash. With the rugby it's normally a 4pm kick off, which finishes just after 6pm. As Finny said the only way to avoid it is to go much earlier.
All soccer traffic should be off the road by 430 so 6 start should be OK Soccer should be getting out of the stadium at just gone 7 - hockey out about 8
Is my maths wrong, am I missing something or is this an, understandable, knee jerk reaction
BUT could Todd have someone listen to the game and announce scores - this would be a brilliant service

This is something I knew would happen :lol: Im missing the saturday game as Im flying back from Cyprus away that night, flight lands 2am sunday morning :lol: then of course the Israel on the sunday.

Ah well, i knew the risks :lol:

Finny

Thread starter #8
the placid casual said:
I would be very happy if they could delay the face off just a bit they would do it for the rugby wouldn't they?
If it was the rugby there would already be wall-to-wall coverage on BBC Wales every night so the club would have known about it.

DevilDom

I did point this out on Twitter when the fixtures were announced but as you said Finny it got a bit lost in the 4pm face off saga.

I have tickets for the Wales game and won't miss the chance to see them make history after all its unlikely to happen again in my lifetime! Unfortunately for me that means missing the Devils game as it stands which is something I would normally not choose do especially for a Devils v Steelers game.

It's a shame but I fear a lot of others will be in the same situation.

ASHIPP

The dream solution would be for Devils and Steelers to swop fixtures on that Sunday i.e. Devils play away.

This would avoid the possibility of lower attendance, traffic delays and Steelers themselves possibly being stuck in heavy queues getting into Cardiff.

Finny said:
the placid casual said:
I would be very happy if they could delay the face off just a bit they would do it for the rugby wouldn't they?
If it was the rugby there would already be wall-to-wall coverage on BBC Wales every night so the club would have known about it.
I know it's because we get rugby rammed down our throats morning noon and night, sod the football fans, that being said they should have known about the game being played the same day.

Chris

Administrator
Maybe they did know about the football and there's nothing we could do about it?

Can't expect every other team to always change their fixtures just because of what is going on in Cardiff that same day/night, maybe they're expecting a better crowd for this even with those who can't make the game, similar to the home double header shenanigans...

Surely only Todd and whoever was in the fixtures meeting could answer that?

However, if rugby was on there would be city centre Road closures affecting public transport and over 70,000 people with tickets. The football won't have Road closures that affect many travelling and less than half the number will be in the stadium.

I am a little gutted I won't get to see it, but the club shouldn't book fixtures around other sports to let people watch it, they should only do it if they think it will have a serious impact on the crowd.

Wannabe2

the placid casual said:
Someone please answer my question if rugby was on would they have made allowances? i.e delayed face off, not had a game on that day? Thanks
Wales play Italy in Cardiff Sat 5th sept, the same day we play Manchester at home, does that answer your question mate.

drainage

the placid casual said:
Not if like me you are going to the football and going to miss the hockey, they should of planned for this when sorting out the fixture list.
I imagine getting 10 teams to agree fixtures when some arenas are also already committed to shows, concerts and goodness knows what else is no mean feat.

I dont think we can reasonably expect them to factor in other sporting occassions for all 10 teams as well - the league would be a 52 week a year one if that was the case.

Unfortunately between months of Sep and end March we know there will be hockey if we buy tickets , plan holidays, weddings birthdays etc we risk missing something.

Not ideal but its a risk we take......... not sure we can blame the club here?

BostonBart22 said:
the only one to blame is sky t.v how often do any internationals be played on a sunday and at 5pm, would have been better playing saturday .
That'll be Uefa not sky mate ,they changed it so for these qualifiers, so there are games on for four or five days running I believe. Same reason why we are playing Cyprus on a Thursday, which is slightly odd.

Even though I'm going to the football, it might be a good little tester for the club to see how far they've come, playing two games when the is egg and football on the same weekend.

Finny

Thread starter #20
BostonBart22 said:
the only one to blame is sky t.v how often do any internationals be played on a sunday and at 5pm, would have been better playing saturday .
Nothing to do with Sky. UEFA have revamped the Euro Champs Qualifying so that there are games pretty much all week. Wales' are on the Thurs and Sun in this International window.