Storm Vs Devils - 15 Dec 18 - League

CaldicotDevil

Are you serious?!

There have been repeated personal attacks on Mo. Todd, Lordo and now it seems Pope as well have been told to grow a pair in the last few days. It's gone too far and I respect Pope for airing his feelings about it.

The crazy, crazy thing is that we are as good as top of the league almost half way through the season... It is the overreaction from people that grinds.
Couldn’t of put this any better.

It's ironic though, people naturally associate the inferno with this abuse but it's not. The only real abuse given out on here is from posters towards other posters.

The problem is people leave the game pretty emotionally fuelled and a few pints in. If they're unhappy about what they see then they can use social media to directly vent their emotions towards the players & staff. It's not just a hockey issue it's an issue in most sports.

However another issue with this in the EIHL is; some of these guys could earn more money outside hockey in a 9-5 job. They play because they love the game and because people like; Todd, the owners and Lordo spend a lot of time recruiting and convincing these players to join which is even harder now with a weak pound. If you're getting abused every week then it doesn't take long to fall out of love with the game, quit and "Pursue other interests outside of hockey".

Can't get my head round how someone can celebrate a teams success in April and then abuse them 6 months later.

Hockeymad

Then the devils will have a half full rink every game and players won’t be paid ;)

Devils players along with other ice hockey players should expect critiscm it’s part of the game.

Like someone said earlier in the thread.
You don’t see the devils players moaning when we say how good they are,

august04

There was a stream of Tweets a few weeks ago - really appalling - as is all personal abuse. It is not sports analysis but personal attacks which need to stop
I couldn’t agree more. I’ve never understood why anyone would want to be on Twitter in the first place. I don’t get it (could be an age thing!), it’s never been my cup of tea, so I don’t see what goes on there. Personal abuse is not on but commenting on someone’s performance, good or bad, is entirely justified. I’ve seen plenty of the latter on here but thankfully not much of the former. The Inferno gets a bad name for it but generally I don’t believe it to be true (you’ll always get the odd post here and there, but that doesn’t make it acceptable) - and it’s usually the rose tinted glasses brigade on here that criticise the Inferno elsewhere. I’ve never quite understood that, if you don’t want to read other poeple’s opinions which may differ from yours, don’t come on here. Compared to other sporting forums, this place is very tame.

Last edited:

august04

Are you serious?!

There have been repeated personal attacks on Mo. Todd, Lordo and now it seems Pope as well have been told to grow a pair in the last few days. It's gone too far and I respect Pope for airing his feelings about it.

The crazy, crazy thing is that we are as good as top of the league almost half way through the season... It is the overreaction from people that grinds.
Yes I am serious. Go through the entire Clan thread and tell me where the personal abuse is please? Apart from a comment about growing a pair of balls, which granted I don’t particularly like either, there are none that I can see. Plenty of comments criticising player performance, but that’s to be expected after witnessing such a shambles. Unfortunately, it’s posters that continually can see no wrong and defend the indefensible, that are the main contributors towards personal attacks on here, towards other posters! And then people respond, threads go downhill rapidly and get deflected away from comments about the game.

Wannabe2

We weren’t great against the Clan, everyone knows that, but those same opponents beat the top of the league side the next night, so they are no mugs when they play. It’s a shame we are out of the cup, but we came right back the next night. Our players would have been read the riot act, and told it was not good enough, so can we all move on now and get on with winning the league, and the Play Offs.

Foxy

Although the Inferno gets painted in a bad light i think the verbal abuse seems to be on Twitter........ no control over that monkey

Rich Best

Although the Inferno gets painted in a bad light i think the verbal abuse seems to be on Twitter........ no control over that monkey
Yes the main abuse is on Twitter, but Mo - our most successful captain ever - has got a stream of what I class to be overly personal abuse from some idiot(s) on here, and the grow a pair of balls statements were completely disrespectful.

I get a lot of abuse because I support the team through thick and thin. If we were struggling now- like we have in the fairly recent past - then fair enough, call me a happy clapper, perhaps I shouldn't be so positive in those circumstances. BUT at the moment we are in one of the most successful periods since I became a devil's fan, we have the best coach, the best players and the best owners - so I don't think the fact that I am almost completely positive about the big picture is in any way misinformed! I feel frustrated straight after a poor performance as do we all. I get frustrated with players when I feel they have not performed to the level we are used to. But it only takes the drive home for me to see the bigger picture again. We are so lucky.

Foxy

Yes the main abuse is on Twitter, but Mo - our most successful captain ever - has got a stream of what I class to be overly personal abuse from some idiot(s) on here, and the grow a pair of balls statements were completely disrespectful.

I get a lot of abuse because I support the team through thick and thin. If we were struggling now- like we have in the fairly recent past - then fair enough, call me a happy clapper, perhaps I shouldn't be so positive in those circumstances. BUT at the moment we are in one of the most successful periods since I became a devil's fan, we have the best coach, the best players and the best owners - so I don't think the fact that I am almost completely positive about the big picture is in any way misinformed! I feel frustrated straight after a poor performance as do we all. I get frustrated with players when I feel they have not performed to the level we are used to. But it only takes the drive home for me to see the bigger picture again. We are so lucky.
This might shock you but i actually agree with you.

Problem is you are always going to get some people that go too far. Its the nature of sport. On here if i think they are wrong i try and diplomatically (as you know:)) try to steer them right but there is only so much you can do. The Inferno because of its size can be controllable.

Twitter unfortunately is a different kettle of fish altogether but thats social media for you.

All i can suggest the players do is to ignore them and to remember that for every one comment (however bad ) i bet there would be 10 times the number of fans that will be backing them up.

august04

You bemoan overly personal abuse towards players on here (which nobody condones) but then brand some poster(s) on the Inferno as “idiots”.......

Leighton

Yes the main abuse is on Twitter, but Mo - our most successful captain ever - has got a stream of what I class to be overly personal abuse from some idiot(s) on here, and the grow a pair of balls statements were completely disrespectful..
Twitter is the place where people think they can say what they want, to who they want, when they want with no thought about the person on the receiving end. it seems to be inhabited by people who are probably quite normal in the real world but think acting like a playground bully is perfectly fine and acceptable just because its words on a screen.

The grief I still get two months later for countenancing the thought, in what i thought was a private reply to Sully Devil, that the devils (coming off the back off a relatively "successful" CHL campaign where we "held our own" - taking Bern to OT who then took New Jersey to OT in a very similar fashion) would "hold their own" against the pre-season NJD team.. i.e not win.. not beat them... just play well and leave with their heads held high... just like they did in the CHL, has caused me to delete my twitter account and remove myself from most if not all EIHL related stuff on social media. I'm not a snowflake, I'm a 46 year old adult who couldn't give a toss about the opinion of most people but I can imagine it must haven an effect it on the players being called out.

Confidence is the biggest mental factor in sport.... keep telling these players - who certainly don't do it for the money - they are crap and it wont be long before they start believing it and it becomes self-fulfilling.

ps Rich - what have i told you? :)

James

Administrator
Thread starter #93
As @august04 mentions... please keep it civil and refrain from labeling other posters as idiots.
Thanks