Storm Vs Devils - 15 Dec 18 - League

voth26

Getting my point across that’s all :)
But your not that's the point, your clearly have a vendetta against Mo?? we get you don't like him and that's your choice but as its been pointed out its become very boring reading you bitch about him at every opportunity!!.

Mazzoak

Greatness is measured by achievement against adversity, when all seems lost, when legs are tired, mountains too steep, odds stacked heavily against you, you used everything to gain advantage, too beat the odds and triumph.
Foolishness is measured when using all those tools you still managing to screw it up. Hence the Titanic analogy, great ship.

If that tweet is referring to people abusing players online then I totally agree that there is no place for that at all but if it's referring to people on here criticising player performance in games on game threads then I have to say good luck finding a teams fan base that don't do that.

Again, personal abuse towards players is not on but criticising a teams performance on a game thread on a fan forum when even the coach himself has got to the point of saying he's disgusted with what he's seeing I don't see a problem with

Hockeymad

matt pope don’t realise 3000 fans are paying hard earned cash week in week out,

Of course we are going to voice our opinion. Some do it on here some do it at the rink. You get paid to do a job and if you don’t do it people are going to be pissed off. Pretty simple really isn’t it.

If your coach ain’t happy about the way things are going how can he expect anyone else to be happy?

Last edited:

Mazzoak

I take that as a reply to the Twitter comments, which are completely indefensible, such a reaction is no surprise.
Having said that whilst family and players shouldn’t be reading such abuse, it’s part of being present on social media as a celebrity, all be it a small celebrity status. As such measures should be taken to distance themselves, thus protecting family from such attacks. Every sport has a fringe element of radicals, it appears the Devils are no different despite the family ethos.
If it’s aimed at criticism of players performances written here, which l suspect it maybe as it’s highly likely to be known too Pope, then l suggest some further fan engagement in future, maybe a full explaination as to why the lack lustre performance occurred. Post match interviews maybe on the Inferno, could be the best way to stem rumours. Having said that it’s a brave employee who openly states he simply couldn’t be arsed that night or actually the boys went out, spent too long on the pop the night before without management knowledge.

Last edited:

kettdevil1

Sounds like Pope needs to man up and grow a pair of balls. Criticism comes with the job of being a pro athlete and if he can’t take that he should find a new profession. When fans are paying almost £500 on a season ticket you’d expect every player to give 100%. Pope has given 30% if that so far this season. Personal abuse isn’t acceptable, but performance criticism is.
There is something rather ironic about saying that personal abuse is not acceptable whilst also telling someone to man up and grow a pair of balls....

Perhaps it's the singling out of players that constantly seems to happen on here that is getting to some people.

I don't post on here very often but I've got to say some of the criticism of players on here is outrageous. These guys know when things aren't going well, they've played hockey all their lives and most of them in bigger and better places than this league. Constant negativity from fans when things aren't perfect must be so wearing. We've had two incredible seasons and it seems that some fans have developed a sense of entitlement above and beyond what's reasonable. Yes, people pay their hard-earned to go to games, but let's have some perspective, and yes, some decency and consideration. This isn't the Premier League where the players live in a bubble, hockey in Cardiff is pretty intimate and the players won't be immune. Perhaps there's a good reason the away form is so much better.

Last edited:

RedDevil17

There is something rather ironic about saying that personal abuse is not acceptable whilst also telling someone to man up and grow a pair of balls....
Well even Lord was unhappy and said he was disgusted! I bet you’ve criticised lots of players in the past as have other posters. Maybe I did go too far in saying he needs to grow a pair of balls so I’ll take that bit back but not the bit about him needing to man up and take responsibility for his poor performances. If you don’t perform to the best of your ability of course you’re going to get criticism from fans. That’s what comes with the job of being a professional athlete. Still my main point is that I don’t spend my money on a season ticket to see some players give 45% - 50% each week and look like they cant be bothered. I don’t mind losing but I expect us to go down fighting till the final buzzer and give everything we have from start to finish. At the moment, I’m not seeing that from certain players.

Last edited:

august04

I don’t think I’ve read any personal abuse towards Pope or anyone else for that matter, on the Inferno after the Clan game. Performance criticism, yes - if you can’t take that as an athlete, then you’re in the wrong game. I’m sure he’s happy enough reading praise when it comes his way. I don’t follow Twitter and all that nonsense, so can’t comment on that. If I was in his shoes, I’d stay away from all that too. I wonder what he thinks about his own coach’s criticism of the players, which in my view was more far more damning than anything I’ve read on here - and rightly so after Friday night’s debacle.

I expect it does. I also expect he's frustrated his form hasn't been brilliant, and I'd imagine knowing some people are suggesting he gets the sack wouldn't be thrilling either.

Rich Best

I don’t think I’ve read any personal abuse towards Pope or anyone else for that matter, on the Inferno after the Clan game. Performance criticism, yes - if you can’t take that as an athlete, then you’re in the wrong game. I’m sure he’s happy enough reading praise when it comes his way. I don’t follow Twitter and all that nonsense, so can’t comment on that. If I was in his shoes, I’d stay away from all that too. I wonder what he thinks about his own coach’s criticism of the players, which in my view was more far more damning than anything I’ve read on here - and rightly so after Friday night’s debacle.
Are you serious?!

There have been repeated personal attacks on Mo. Todd, Lordo and now it seems Pope as well have been told to grow a pair in the last few days. It's gone too far and I respect Pope for airing his feelings about it.

The crazy, crazy thing is that we are as good as top of the league almost half way through the season... It is the overreaction from people that grinds.

pjj365

There was a stream of Tweets a few weeks ago - really appalling - as is all personal abuse. It is not sports analysis but personal attacks which need to stop

zoesdevil

There was a stream of Tweets a few weeks ago - really appalling - as is all personal abuse. It is not sports analysis but personal attacks which need to stop
Shame the Devils cant ban the people from games that do the personal attacks, (if names are on accounts) maybe then the idiots will think twice before doing it again!!