Storm Vs Devils - 11 Jan 20 - League

jenks33

Whilst there is definitely a reason to debate the performance/lack of performance of certain players, think the criticism of some on the list is a bit harsh.

Fournier - playing a different role this season to last. He also has McMonagle contributing well as an offensive defence man. Gleason had a career year last year. Difficult to repeat.

Richardson - has played solidly and reliably all year as always. Recently he has had a couple of stellar games, our best defence man in those games.

Riley - absent through injury early on and away for Spengler. He has had a variety of different line mates. Before Spengler he was starting to show why we admire his qualities.

The Team is finding ways to grind out wins with scoring distributed throughout the lines and with a huge contribution from our fantastic British players.

However, there is no doubt about speed and positioning issues. Think most fans are expecting player changes in the off-season.
In my opinion Fournier and Richie have been nowhere near their best. I’m not saying they are playing badly but they haven’t been great. I respect your opinion though.
Yeah maybe I’m being a bit harsh on Riley. Let’s hope he finishes the season well

tim78

Defo gets the qoute of the year
"Big fish in a smallish pond is better than a small fish in a dry creek._ "

I think Benti's been playing well. You have to remember that some players make the space and effort for others to take the shot and he's been our main agitator.

Linglet is still making nice passes and entertaining moves, he's not in his 20's any more but I'm still enjoying watching his style.

Gazza272

In my opinion Fournier and Richie have been nowhere near their best. I’m not saying they are playing badly but they haven’t been great. I respect your opinion though.
Yeah maybe I’m being a bit harsh on Riley. Let’s hope he finishes the season well

In Regards to Fournier, his ice time has been decreased this year due to the high functioning pairing of Morrison and Jardine.

I wonder if he just finds it a bit hard to get into his rhythm having less Time on ice?

I don't think he is playing poorly, but the more time on ice you have, the more chance you have of putting the puck away as he did so gloriously for us last season. MAybe folks just arent recognising him because of his lower ice time?

august04

I’d have taken any win before the game in that barn, we all know how difficult it can be in rinks like that. It wasn’t pretty but it‘s another 2 points, whether Storm were short benched or not. Whatever opinion posters may have on players, it’s highly unlikely there will changes now. I guess we’ll see how Lord feels about performances from certain players during the summer recruitment process. My own feeling is that we’ll see a decent turnover of players, with next years team getting a freshening up.

Wannabe2

28 points from 31 games for a D Man is still something else, and as you say in less ice time, we are only halfway through the season, and hopefully this is the time for some slow starters to blossom.

moggy#9

Thought the devils were gonna romp it after the first period ..were far superior..but held on to a deserved win in the end...what I found astounding was no goal judges at the game are storm still living in caves up there. Apparently not had any all season ...
No goal judges? Seriously? They are important off ice officials. If Manchester don't have any it is another instance of the way the league runs things lacking credibility.

moggy#9

In Regards to Fournier, his ice time has been decreased this year due to the high functioning pairing of Morrison and Jardine.

I wonder if he just finds it a bit hard to get into his rhythm having less Time on ice?

I don't think he is playing poorly, but the more time on ice you have, the more chance you have of putting the puck away as he did so gloriously for us last season. MAybe folks just arent recognising him because of his lower ice time?
I suspect that teams have also come up with tactics to deal with fournier. We're fortunate that, now they've settled, our defensive line up has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to offensive upside.

Wannabe2

No goal judges? Seriously? They are important off ice officials. If Manchester don't have any it is another instance of the way the league runs things lacking credibility.
Apparently with overhead goal cameras now, some seem to think goal judges are surplus to requirements.

Gospel

This team hasnt been performing to its potential post CHL.

Players have been below par and have been criticised on here by posters (including me) then people jump on the posters for whatever they post now reasons are being put forward, ie, different line mates etc. Who puts those lines together? Who puts the strategy togther?

Posters criticise Lord then others jump on them again for that criticism but now the poor form is down to new line mates, lack of ice time, who organises that?

This isnt a pop at Lord but the buck stops somewhere within the set up. If the players arent performing then its down to the coach to change things. If the players cant/wont do what the coach wants then who brought those players in?

Its mid January, the players have been here since July/August & would seem unlikely there will be any changes as thats not our way, rightly or wrongly, so we go forward as we are.

The question is can we win a trophy this season as thats the ultimate aim at the start of the season? We will see in a few weeks time.

moggy#9

This team hasnt been performing to its potential post CHL.

Players have been below par and have been criticised on here by posters (including me) then people jump on the posters for whatever they post now reasons are being put forward, ie, different line mates etc. Who puts those lines together? Who puts the strategy togther?

Posters criticise Lord then others jump on them again for that criticism but now the poor form is down to new line mates, lack of ice time, who organises that?

This isnt a pop at Lord but the buck stops somewhere within the set up. If the players arent performing then its down to the coach to change things. If the players cant/wont do what the coach wants then who brought those players in?

Its mid January, the players have been here since July/August & would seem unlikely there will be any changes as thats not our way, rightly or wrongly, so we go forward as we are.

The question is can we win a trophy this season as thats the ultimate aim at the start of the season? We will see in a few weeks time.
I think that there can be little dispute that the team is in the position it is because some players have been performing exceptionally well. This has made up for the shortfall in others compared to expectations. The thing that many of us are concerned about is the ability to keep that up. Burn out becomes a real possibility.

Wannabe2

Burn out surely shouldn’t happen to us with us having the ability to run 4 lines, the poor buggers running with 14/15 outskaters don’t have that luxury.

Ocko

Like that bush league NHL who ditched goal judges a while ago because they were deemed pointless. Even before goal line tech the refs would very rarely, if ever, get the opinion of the goal judge in recent times.

moggy#9

Like that bush league NHL who ditched goal judges a while ago because they were deemed pointless. Even before goal line tech the refs would very rarely, if ever, get the opinion of the goal judge in recent times.
Well, I wasn't aware of that. But then this isn't the NHL and there isn't the same supporting infrastructure. The bottom line though is whether there is a league standard on this stuff, and if so, what is it? As a side thought, who is logging the shots on goal? Surely the best position for doing that is exactly where goal judges are supposed to sit.