STEWARDS (NEAR BENCHES)

d20

Thread starter #1
I wish someone could have a word with the stewards who at the end of the game seem to congregate at the away team exit and near the bench and stand right in front of the exiting players like some bouncers in a night club giving the standing kids no chance of seeing the players or "touching gloves with them".
I take my boys down at the end of every game so they can see the players coming off and get a high 5 or "touch gloves "with them only to have these stewards stand in front as if they are stopping entry into a night club,there are always kids waiting round just for a glimpse or "high 5" etc who just want to see the players and they just get in the way,even so much as to push the railings back in a quick manner and be quiet abrupt when people are asking things about the players ,they seem as though their "yellow high vis" jkt gives them some power trip,there is no need to have up 10 or more of them standing next to each other stopping fans especially the kids from seeing the players ,this is ice hockey not football where crowds can be abusive to the players given a chance ,our sport is a family affair and I feel this is a bit much,near the exit there is only a real need for 2 either side as the railings are sufficient,hopefully something can be done as my boys get upset when they cant get close to see the players .

Have Hope#35

d20 said:
I wish someone could have a word with the stewards who at the end of the game seem to congregate at the away team exit and near the bench and stand right in front of the exiting players like some bouncers in a night club giving the standing kids no chance of seeing the players or "touching gloves with them".
I take my boys down at the end of every game so they can see the players coming off and get a high 5 or "touch gloves "with them only to have these stewards stand in front as if they are stopping entry into a night club,there are always kids waiting round just for a glimpse or "high 5" etc who just want to see the players and they just get in the way,even so much as to push the railings back in a quick manner and be quiet abrupt when people are asking things about the players ,they seem as though their "yellow high vis" jkt gives them some power trip,there is no need to have up 10 or more of them standing next to each other stopping fans especially the kids from seeing the players ,this is ice hockey not football where crowds can be abusive to the players given a chance ,our sport is a family affair and I feel this is a bit much,near the exit there is only a real need for 2 either side as the railings are sufficient,hopefully something can be done as my boys get upset when they cant get close to see the players .
It's people like this that spoil it for you... Unfortunately it only takes one person and I fully appreciate that's not your reason for wanting to get close to the Away Players: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/puck-...le-coventry-blaze-cardiff-194227418--nhl.html

d20

Thread starter #3
I know there is always going to be some idiot in all sports ,its just that I think in a snall area that it is there is no need for so many stewards ,most weeks theres at least 10 there and they dont give any chance for the kids to see them ,my boys are 4 and 8 if im holding the youngest my oldest cant see anything other than a stewards back and this is what they should be told if theres a few children standing around leave a gap so that they can see them or high 5 them,there's no need to stand shoulder to shoulder so they cant see anything.
I'm not having a go at them personally as without stewards in any sport there is no event they need to be there but just be mindful when there are children around .

Gazza272

d20 said:
I know there is always going to be some idiot in all sports ,its just that I think in a snall area that it is there is no need for so many stewards ,most weeks theres at least 10 there and they dont give any chance for the kids to see them ,my boys are 4 and 8 if im holding the youngest my oldest cant see anything other than a stewards back and this is what they should be told if theres a few children standing around leave a gap so that they can see them or high 5 them,there's no need to stand shoulder to shoulder so they cant see anything.

I'm guessing this measure is in place due to the Ben Olson incident from a few seasons ago.

Finny

d20 said:
Fairly sure they are just doing their jobs.

I'm surprised you don't see a problem with the fans going into the away team area?

Finny

d20 said:
its not really an area its by the railings where they come off.
Precisely. It's the away team area during the game and should remain so until after the away team has left the building.

I'm sorry it's upsetting you but for me they are quite right. Perhaps you weren't there the night it all kicked off with Coventry and Olson but when we did have only 1 or 2 stewards there a fan managed to get past them and approach Olson. It was probably a football fan though who had got lost.

Temme

Given the Olson incident a few seasons back i think it's prudent for everyone that there are plenty of stewards there.

Yes children shouldn't miss out on high 5'ing the players, i understand the buzz and enjoyment the children get from that, however when a professional athlete is assaulted off the ice by a member of the public, such measures are necessary, even if they ruin the enjoyment for all of us.

Wait around 20 minutes and the players of both teams will happily take photos and autographs as they head toward the coach home.

would it make any difference if an away fan was with you?

If it makes your kids happy and the stewards allow it then I would quite happily stand with you and them during the double header in a few weeks -

I cause no immediate danger to my team.... unless they have played badly in which case who knows. :lol:

Just let me know if it's an option and we can sort something out.

In all fairness, the stewards are there because of the Olson incident 2 years ago. We have never stopped children "hi-fiving" the players as they come off the ice,not once. Last night someone asked could their children stand inside the barrier at the away gate, which of course we simply couldn't do, so I'm assuming it might be related to that??? Just for the record, people have never been allowed to stand inside the barriers to Hi five the players, it's a safety barrier that is required for match safety purposes, of both players and spectators, and the Olson incident just proves that there is a definite need for it to be there. The stewards have congregated at that barrier every single game since the Olson incident, to make sure there is no repeat of that ugly scene. It's same rule for everyone since day one, so please don't take it personally but treating everyone the same ensures fairness and also ensures both players and spectators safety. Thanks

mp43 said:
In all fairness, the stewards are there because of the Olson incident 2 years ago. We have never stopped children "hi-fiving" the players as they come off the ice,not once. Last night someone asked could their children stand inside the barrier at the away gate, which of course we simply couldn't do, so I'm assuming it might be related to that??? Just for the record, people have never been allowed to stand inside the barriers to Hi five the players, it's a safety barrier that is required for match safety purposes, of both players and spectators, and the Olson incident just proves that there is a definite need for it to be there. The stewards have congregated at that barrier every single game since the Olson incident, to make sure there is no repeat of that ugly scene. It's same rule for everyone since day one, so please don't take it personally but treating everyone the same ensures fairness and also ensures both players and spectators safety. Thanks
Maybe we could look at the stewards kneeing down when the players come off in some games as there for safety but give the kids the chance to seethe players off ?.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

devils2001uk said:
mp43 said:
Maybe we could look at the stewards kneeing down when the players come off in some games as there for safety but give the kids the chance to seethe players off ?.

I really hope you're joking there???? [emoji32]

devils2001uk said:
mp43 said:

Stewards are there for safety reasons, and stewards "kneeling down" is an absolute joke. The stewards are volunteers who are there to ensure player and spectator safety, let's not forget that a lot of away team players are in foul moods when they come off the ice, we've had things thrown around by opposition players and the language off most of them is disgusting when they are coming off the ice, definately not the place for a child to be??? TBH , I've never witnessed an away team player "hi-five" anyone on the way off the ice in 11 years of stewarding for the devils. Sunday night we had a man request that his children be allowed to come the players side of the barrier, to "hi-five the devils players" as they skated past, but for very obvious reasons we simply couldn't allow it. This is where I think this topic has stemmed from.

The stewards are doing their jobs guys and girls, my own children are not allowed behind the barrier so please understand when we refuse others requests. It's not a power trip, it's because we legally have to.
mp43 said:
devils2001uk said:
mp43 said:

Have Hope#35

I really hope you're joking there????
I'm pretty sure it's only a very small minority who seem to have an issue... It's a well put reply though! Plus the last thing we want people in the rink doing is getting on their knees for the opposition :lol:

Have Hope#35 said:
I really hope you're joking there????
I'm pretty sure it's only a very small minority who seem to have an issue... It's a well put reply though! Plus the last thing we want people in the rink doing is getting on their knees for the opposition :lol:
I agree, imaging someone trying to get past the barrier when the stewards are "kneeling"? What chance would a group of guys kneeling have of stopping someone???
I do understand people's frustrations, but simply put, that area will always remain out of bounds simply because it legally has to be. Thanks