Steve Thornton

HC42

Thread starter #1
I know it has been covered in the transactions thread, but Steve Thornton announced his complete retirement today, in order to settle down with Beth and their girls and take a role outside of the sport back home in Ottawa.
I realise that Steve hasn't been involved with the Devils for many years now, but it was us that he came to when he came to the UK and he was an instant hit and a huge part of the last truly successful Devils sides in the early ISL days.
As a fan of Hockey since a year prior to the start of the ISL, Steve has in my view set the standard for creative forwards in the era in which I have been watching and in recent years when he has been coaching he has developed a great style of play within the teams in Belfast.
I will miss his influence on Hockey in the UK.

Good luck Steve.

wildthing74

An awesome player for us at that time and very loyal too.Many times bigger clubs came after him in those early days,especially Sheffield and it must have been hard for him to turn them down as it was well know he had U.K family in that city.
The 'Black line' with Hodgey and Matulik were sublime to watch and he was the top scorer on that line.
Always liked Thornton,good luck for your future Steve.

ASHIPP

A top class player who was always great to watch. Even in recent seasons he still 'had it' in terms of his skating and speed. A successful but short coaching career too. Finny will have the stats on Thornton's career - didn't he hold the record for the fastest opening goal scored in a league match during the ISL period? Awesome :cool:
Wish him and his family a happy return to life in Ottawa.