Steelers Vs Devils - Sun 23 Sept - League

RedDevil17

Very well played from the devils and a complete performance overall. Every player worked their nuts off tonight, we had a free flowing PP and a strong PK. Always happy to thrash the Steelers especially in their own barn. We did miss lots of chances which were off target but Day played very well to save the shots he did. Thommo really needs to get his arse in gear although it was embarrassing to see the Steelers get booed by their own fans. You should stand by your team no matter what happens. Look at us a few years ago (different scenario I know but loyal fans stood by the team). Thommo in all day long though! Very happy tonight and it’ll give us great momentum going into Wednesday. If we play the way we did then we should win. Nottingham will be very tough opposition but bring it on! As for Thommo excuses, why would you start Whistle if he had flu and a migraine? Surely it would’ve made sense to start Day if that was the case...

Slartibartfast

Here it is. Imagine how the goalie feels hearing the coach blame him like this. What about the poor defence and rubbish predictable systems that Thommo has had them playing for years. Thommo looks under pressure but I just can't feel sorry for this guy. He never stands by his players.

Foxy

Have to say that is the worst Steelers team i have seen in many years.
What should be more worrying to Thommo is that i have seen us play much better in the CHL games and we are still without Faryna and a replacement for Parisi.

Devil_Abroad

Awful Steelers performance. To say we cruised in neutral gear let alone first and still should have scored 20 odd tells you all you need to know about that performance. Whistle playing when supposedly ill? He’ll want all three back; Moore’s goal looked like a failed pass! For the rest of the 50 odd minutes a combination of Day making some wonderful saves and our poor shooting kept it from being way over double figures. Steelers did pose a threat going forward but they’re very disjointed and so we coped with most of what they had quite easily. What I can’t understand is just how poor is their team D. They play like they’ve only just met, have no energy or grit, don’t challenge the puck carriers either through the neutral zone nor in their own end zone.

When you look at the resumé of most of their roster it’s difficult to understand just how poor a performance they mustered. Clear from the pregame video of their dressing room Thompson carries no respect in that locker room; embarrassingly only Phillips the captain seemed to be listening and responding to him.

On the one hand I want him to continue coaching there because they become less of a threat with each year that passes, but then today, even though we won, I feel cheated as a hockey fan because that was a complete waste of money. That team playing that type of hockey will drive their fan base away. I therefore don’t think he has long left as coach.

It was great for our team not to break sweat with the big challenge looming on Wednesday.

Last edited:

Ocko

Good performance by us. We didnt really need to get out of second gear.

Big kudos to Lord for his TO. Steelers managed to get a bit of momentum, so he calls a time out just as they have a face off in our zone and just kills it off. The game has moved on from keeping your TO to the last minutes.

That Ulmer, Linglet and Mo line is something else. To the poster who said Linglet needs to pass more, watch his end product. Hockey is all about puck possession now; hold onto it and wait for the opportunity in the O zone. It's like Linglet is playing his own game at times, he's some player his vision and puck skills are well above this level. For what is the oldest line in the league (possibly ever) on average they run young lines ragged with their vision.

Steelers are in a sorry state. The biggest problem is their hype and the fact they are the Sheffield Steelers. By that, their media train and expectations are through the roof. Why they didnt build it up as a rebuilding year I dont know. Instead it was a 'we'll be back bigger and better than ever, get trophies back' etc. It was always very, very unlikely that 16 new signings would be in with a shout at competing for silverware. Thommo was backed in the summer, so they should back him until at least Christmas. His recruitment decisions would've been a collective by the management team - they would, and are, all culpable. I have no doubt that he will be back at Coventry next season though.

osh

A good result last night for sure without seeming to have to extend ourselves, however, never write off the Steelers even after a dub standard start to the season. They have a habit of bouncing back from poor performances. I have no doubt they will be much stronger and up for it next time we meet.

Pope#42

Great performance from the boys last night and as others have said - a well timed time out from Lordo.
There were some really great plays and we didn’t even have to get out of second gear. Very pleased to see Richy back in the lineup.

Whilst a win is a win (and I love winning!) to me it just didn’t feel the same. I love nothing more than beating Sheffield but given the difference in the level of competition between the two teams it just wasn’t the same - but that might just be me. I can’t help but feel sorry for the Steelers fans. I hope as others have suggested they improve soon as the more competitive the league - the better ( and the more enjoyable!).