Steelers vs Devils - League 26th Sept 21

Finny

Well we'll be keeping him no matter what, but half a season to have an opinion? Are you kidding me? We're over a month in and he's got how many points exactly? For supposedly our number one centre?
After half a season, this forum was full of people calling for Ulmer to be sacked.
He turned out to be one of our most important and consistent signings.

Finny

Why shouldn't people have an opinion on whether someone is playing well or not? If you don’t like it Finny, press the Ignore button. That comes with the territory of being a professional sportsman. Player performance is critiqued after every game in every sport, what’s so different about us? If I think a player has performed well, I’ll say it (and I’m happy with almost every single Devils player this season and the way we are playing). Likewise if someone is regularly underperforming, I’ll give my opinion on that too.
Am I allowed an opinion on people having an opinion?
I thought that was what a forum like this was for?

jenks33

All legit points, games have their ebbs and flows & the point I'd make is we won't win games by playing 40 minutes of hockey. Skalde will know that & he'll be working on it I'm sure.
Certainly can’t start and end games like that against the big boys. Got away with it tonight in the first. We could have had no complaints if the score was 3-1 to Sheffield after 10/12 minutes. They missed three 2 on 1’s but we also missed an empty net (Reid) in the first.

matbur

I simply don’t buy that his form is being effected by a coaching role. Skalde is our head coach, Franny on the bench with him too. He was signed as a first line centre first and foremost, someone who can try to attempt to fill the void left by Joey Martin (tough ask anyway). He has looked unfit and unprepared for life in the CHL/EIHL and it's taking too long for him to get up to speed.
That's my point, his additional workload could well be making him unprepared. He and Skalde need to fix whatever it is, certainly not asserting himself as a 1C, as you say.

august04 2.0

That's my point, his additional workload could well be making him unprepared. He and Skalde need to fix whatever it is, certainly not asserting himself as a 1C, as you say.
I might agree with you if he didn’t look so unfit and unprepared for this level of hockey, at the very start of the season, and that was before he was announced as a player coach in a role that was to be defined further as they move along. I just don’t buy this additional workload effecting his performance. You would think he’s going to get fitter as we play more games, hopefully his game improves too. But he should have been ready and prepared to play CHL level games at the start of this year - he clearly wasn’t and still isn’t.

Swarley

McNally was missed tonight, I think he'd of been the difference maker in setting the tempo and putting that little rat out to pasture.

Louis definitely seemed to be more restrained as well.

Ried definitely is showing more and more promise every game and I'm loving his determination to score.

Our defence in some areas is definitely lacking with slow skating and the no look passing seems to be making a horrible return as well.

I'll take 1 point over 0 for our first league game against any team.

The coach will improve this lot we've got lots of hockey to play I just want someone, anyone to slap that little rat from Sheffield out cold as he seems to get away with murder on the ice.

Wannabe2

Connolly was allowed to rule and do what he wanted for too long in that game, McNally would have kicked his arse, he does it year in year out and takes control, and by god he gets away with it, good player but a real little shit who can turn games to his own benefit. Batch had him one time and I know we need to keep out of the bin, but Connolly will punch you in the face as good as look at you, he will run your nettie when he pleases, he needs dealing with. Steelers are a lot less threatening without him that’s why they sign him every year, the little fart needs dealing with.

august04 2.0

Connolly was allowed to rule and do what he wanted for too long in that game, McNally would have kicked his arse, he does it year in year out and takes control, and by god he gets away with it, good player but a real little shit who can turn games to his own benefit. Batch had him one time and I know we need to keep out of the bin, but Connolly will punch you in the face as good as look at you, he will run your nettie when he pleases, he needs dealing with. Steelers are a lot less threatening without him that’s why they sign him every year, the little fart needs dealing with.
He’s an effective little runt, got to give him that. I’d rather us take a penalty dealing with the little shit than the poor penalty we took at the end which turned the tide and effectively cost us the game.

NathanG

Did any Devils fans have any issues getting petrol in Sheffield?

I'm currently stranded in Solihull. Must have tried 15-20 petrol stations from between Sheffield and Birmingham. Unfuckingbelievable.

Oconnor didnt help with his soft penalty, but he has a reputation for doing this..and at times it costs you. Still a good addition to have..d Philips pushing the net of was a blatant major pen and could have 10 mins..theres a game changer for the devils..just wasn't called.

Reid is a name being called all night long.really like him. Registar was around but was a bit hmmmm.

Never seen the missing player play yet but you all regard him as the teams lynch pin..hope he is playing next game

Minor glitch and in truth some are more annoyed at not being able to taunt the steelers....I am sure that match_/day will come.

BostonBart22

I might agree with you if he didn’t look so unfit and unprepared for this level of hockey, at the very start of the season, and that was before he was announced as a player coach in a role that was to be defined further as they move along. I just don’t buy this additional workload effecting his performance. You would think he’s going to get fitter as we play more games, hopefully his game improves too. But he should have been ready and prepared to play CHL level games at the start of this year - he clearly wasn’t and still isn’t.
Dupont wants to be player coach to take it up full time when he retires, he needs to look at Reid to take some tips off him how to score... cant do coaching when on ice..end of, belfast got besko as player coach as part of the deal with them, he will play the so called bigger games without a doubt, then coach from the side when whistle and dickson are in tandem. yes 3 netties for them.

kettdevil1

Did any Devils fans have any issues getting petrol in Sheffield?

I'm currently stranded in Solihull. Must have tried 15-20 petrol stations from between Sheffield and Birmingham. Unfuckingbelievable.
Hope you got some. The signs on the M1 said no petrol but actually they all seemed to so not sure what was going on….

Enjoyable but frustrating game, so niggly off the puck that at times it looked like more than a series of battles rather than a hockey game. We really should have won, a wicked deflection, a poor giveaway, a daft penalty to take and Armstrong doing what he does best cost us but until O’Connor was called late in the game I was sure we would win as Sheffield had run out of ideas.

Reid is absolutely class and a shout out to Ben Davies, put in a great shift throughout the game. To be unlucky not to beat Steelers at their place is a solid start to the league

Slartibartfast

Dupont has a good CV and put up some good number in the AHL so I will give him some time. But I understand the criticism. He shows some flashes of brilliance but just doesn't seem to have the hunger of players like Sandford, Reid and McNally.
However you never know whats going on with a player in terms of injuries, health and personal struggles. And we have seen this time and time again. A player starts slowly, gets crucified on the inferno but in time becomes a fan favourite.
Ulmer started slow but still end his first season a point a game.
It took a second season for Morrisette to hit his peak.
In the meantime we have got plenty of guys who can score and even a goalie getting assists :)

Wannabe2

We signed a player who for about 6 weeks I thought why the hell have we signed this guy, he was awful, that player turned into one my all time favourites Mr Ian McIntyre and boy did I get that one wrong. Not all players hit the ice running, myself I think he will come good.

moggy#9

Dupont has a good CV and put up some good number in the AHL so I will give him some time. But I understand the criticism. He shows some flashes of brilliance but just doesn't seem to have the hunger of players like Sandford, Reid and McNally.
However you never know whats going on with a player in terms of injuries, health and personal struggles. And we have seen this time and time again. A player starts slowly, gets crucified on the inferno but in time becomes a fan favourite.
Ulmer started slow but still end his first season a point a game.
It took a second season for Morrisette to hit his peak.
In the meantime we have got plenty of guys who can score and even a goalie getting assists :)
It's interesting you should raise carruth and his assists. When I saw the highlight reel of kozun I knew he'd be an active keeper, but carruth's handling really caught Sheffield out. If either of them for the opportunity I wouldn't be surprised to see kozun or carruth got for an empty netter. Of course, I could mention our goalie having more points than our number one centre... ;-)

moggy#9

We signed a player who for about 6 weeks I thought why the hell have we signed this guy, he was awful, that player turned into one my all time favourites Mr Ian McIntyre and boy did I get that one wrong. Not all players hit the ice running, myself I think he will come good.
The difference with McIntyre was that he was given a specific role and he stuck to that. When he was given a bit more freedom he showed what he was capable of. I still regret that the boycott robbed us of seeing him and Thornton becoming devils legends.