steelers Vs Devils - 8 Mar 20 - Challenge Cup Final Spectacular

mjh

Even though its a loss, credit to Lordo for being magnanimous in defeat. He's a proper gent. Also thinking back to the summer, I was seriously worried our recruitment was way off and we'd be way behind the other big teams. Not long left now and we lost in the cup final and are top of the league with playoffs to come. Personally think Lord is doing a strong job considering how it looked last summer.

Diablo3

i think we are watching completely different games , if anybody dominated it was Sheffield . they outplayed us. the best team won
We certainly were... 45 vs 23 shots on goal does not give Sheffield a dominant performance, more clinical maybe.

august04

Cuckoo cuckoo.

I don't think you understand the game to be honest. We dominated. Duba was outstanding. I actually think in many ways our performance was better than Friday.
Quite possibly the most ridiculous post of the season, although you’ve made a few. We dominated one period. On Friday we were streets ahead of tonight’s performance. I really don’t think you should be questioning anyone’s understanding of the game to be honest.......

jimmy snels

i think lord shortening the bench in a big game and again losing is his biggest fault as a coach. how many shifts did louis take in the 3rd? did Duggan ice at all after 25mins? does it every time and it kills me off. did richie play a shite pass because he was knackered? haddad loooked spent after 40 mins.

anyhow i thought we had the possession but Sheffield out ratted us in our barn and he made poor in game decisions. bowns not at fault but is he a game winner? debatable.
refereeing terrible. like awful. we didnt play to it though!!!

august04

i would say shots on goal are not everything, i still think they played a better game. but ill take the word clinical, lol
Absolutely, shots on goal don’t mean anything. It’s about grade A chances. Sheffield took theirs, we didn’t and I felt they created more than us too.
Going back to Friday’s game, yes, their D/goaltending wasn’t great but we smothered them all over the ice except for the first two minutes. We hit, we hustled, we attacked in waves, we were relentless - tonight, for whatever reason, we weren’t - and they played like a desperate team and deserved the win.

Slartibartfast

Here is how I saw it.

First period
Started ok but we did not man mark like we did Friday leading to the first goal. Davies walked in withouy anyone even noticing. Connollys pass fooled both Bowns and Morrison on the second goal but Vallerand saw it and buried it. Hard to blame anyone.

Second. period
That one cock up on the blue line lead to the Connolly breakaway and the penalty which changed everything. It was communication problem between Haddad and our D man (no sure who). Lord did indeed shorten his bench as others pointed out but it worked to some extent bringing it back to 3-2. Unfortunately an outstanding performance by the normally average Duba kept the Steelers ahead despite Devils dominating both possession and shots.

Third period
In the early parts I thought we dominated again but fatigue inevitablly set in with a shortened bench.
The fourth Steelers goal was a difficult one to call. I previously blamed Richardson but after watching it again 4 times I realise his pass was actually accurate and was going to Founier. Unfortunately Fournier did not realise this and did not have is stick or his eyes on the ice. It went under Fourniers stick and was intercepted by Davies leading to a 2 on 1 and the goal. This is always a danger when your D go forward because you are chasing a game.

The smallest communication errors can be the difference between a win and a loss and I can't blame Richie, Fournier, or Haddad for the mistakes that led to goals especially as they are our most reliable players. To me I still think we lost that game in the first period and failed to claw it back due to a brilliant performance by Duba.

I think its unfair to blame Bowns. Yes he didn't have a stormer like Duba but we have talked about Steelers offense all season. If you let them get in the slot they will bury it against any goalie.

It wasn't a bad performance by the Devils overall but it wasn't good enough. Lets hope they learn from the few mistakes and have a smooth run to the league title. Its in their hands,

Hedd Wyn John

Here is how I saw it.

First period
Started ok but we did not man mark like we did Friday leading to the first goal. Davies walked in withouy anyone even noticing. Connollys pass fooled both Bowns and Morrison on the second goal but Vallerand saw it and buried it. Hard to blame anyone.

Second. period
That one cock up on the blue line lead to the Connolly breakaway and the penalty which changed everything. It was communication problem between Haddad and our D man (no sure who). Lord did indeed shorten his bench as others pointed out but it worked to some extent bringing it back to 3-2. Unfortunately an outstanding performance by the normally average Duba kept the Steelers ahead despite Devils dominating both possession and shots.

Third period
In the early parts I thought we dominated again but fatigue inevitablly set in with a shortened bench.
The fourth Steelers goal was a difficult one to call. I previously blamed Richardson but after watching it again 4 times I realise his pass was actually accurate and was going to Founier. Unfortunately Fournier did not realise this and did not have is stick or his eyes on the ice. It went under Fourniers stick and was intercepted by Davies leading to a 2 on 1 and the goal. This is always a danger when your D go forward because you are chasing a game.

The smallest communication errors can be the difference between a win and a loss and I can't blame Richie, Fournier, or Haddad for the mistakes that led to goals especially as they are our most reliable players. To me I still think we lost that game in the first period and failed to claw it back due to a brilliant performance by Duba.

I think its unfair to blame Bowns. Yes he didn't have a stormer like Duba but we have talked about Steelers offense all season. If you let them get in the slot they will bury it against any goalie.

It wasn't a bad performance by the Devils overall but it wasn't good enough. Lets hope they learn from the few mistakes and have a smooth run to the league title. Its in their hands,
Good assessment of the game, fine margins like you say.

kingmo19.1

What a strange day! .... We've had the 2 most positive Devils forum posters disagreeing on here with Wannabe2 (the most positive) saying we weren't great (or words to that effect) then Rich Best (the 2nd most positive poster) saying we were dominant! .... We've also got Lordo saying post match that was an NHL calibre game (totally deluded comment) and its also another final suffering the owners (in-town) curse. Blaze are also up-to third in the league!

jenks33

What a strange day! .... We've had the 2 most positive Devils forum posters disagreeing on here with Wannabe2 (the most positive) saying we weren't great (or words to that effect) then Rich Best (the 2nd most positive poster) saying we were dominant! .... We've also got Lordo saying post match that was an NHL calibre game (totally deluded comment) and its also another final suffering the owners (in-town) curse. Blaze are also up-to third in the league!
To be fair to Lord he said an AHL standard game not NHL.

august04

Off topic but you’re right, Blaze are on a hell of a run. Ours to lose but should be a great run in.

jenks33

Ah ok, that makes more sense (I think I mis-heard him). But saying that, ours and Sheffield's 3rd and 4th lines AHL standard ??? Nahh, not in a million years.
Yeah it’s not AHL standard. There are a few players on both teams that could do a job in the AHL but it’s mostly ECHL standard in my opinion.

With regards to the penalty shot, I think the fact that Connolly was prevented from getting a shot off was the deciding factor, although some may be of the opinion that wasn’t the case I’m sure.
I agree with the poster that said Ritchie’s pass wasn’t a bad one and was not far off being in Fournier’s stride.
A superb assist from Connolly on the second goal and two clinical finishes from Davies we’re killers, especially the forth goal which came at a point when you could see us getting it to OT.
There was a lot of the puck bobbling in and around their crease where we would have scored on Friday, not so today. Puck luck??
This business about one team wanting it more than the other. Can’t believe the amount of posters that think it, let alone write it. Do you really believe that???
Doesn’t matter by the way if you’ve been going 34 years or 34 days you’re still entitled to an opinion, it may differ to everyone else’s but don’t chase people off the forum.
I thought it was a very good game to watch, as was Fridays but we obviously wanted it more in that game and Sheffield not so much.
Lots of people saying I don’t blame Bowns but..... haha

Feel free to pick that apart, it’s just a few observations on the thread

Rich Best

Glynne has watched the devils for 30 odd years...you probably won’t find a more loyal fan than him
Sorry Glynne!

But I definitely saw the game differently. We were beaten by an outstanding netminding (and defensive) performance. Steelers literally hung on for their lives, especially in the the 2nd and first 10 of the 3rd.

Wannabe2

Sorry also Rich, let my frustration get the better of me there, obviously disappointed but time to move on now, and win the other two trophies. It was a very good game to watch, and the atmosphere was awesome by both sets of fans.