steelers vs Devils - 29 Sept 19 - League

jenks33

Very scrappy game, we got the win but Steelers were far from good, they certainly won’t be championship contenders with the present squad. Certainly missing Riley and McNamee, but who wouldn’t.
Another positive for us is I think that’s hopefully the worst we will play in Sheffield this season and we still found a way to win. We weren’t bad but we’re missing crucial players and some of our top players aren’t at their best at the moment.

Wannabe2

Agree, I don’t think this team were at their best tonight, far from it, but they are far better than this, Steelers however are a different animal, they won’t win anything with this team.

Slartibartfast

I thought we were better defensively but up front we struggled to enter the zone and looked a bit lost and confused at times (like when Fournier lost the puck for Vallerands breakaway goal.) But with all the lines changes and players out its no wonder we are not at our best.
We are having a challenging start to the season and scrappy ground out wins like this now may make the difference at the end of the season. When we are back to full strength the league can look out.

jenks33

Just watched the post game interviews. Surprised to hear Fox say that was their best 60 minutes this season. Thought both teams were pretty average tonight to be honest

2 points in regulation in Sheffield will do nicely, sounded a bit like a scrappy game from the Twitter feed and Lords interview, hopefully we can get Riley and Mcnamee back for next weekend and settle the team down into a rhythm

jenks33

When Gareth huish asked Lordo about Mcnamee last night I was hoping for a “nothing serious, he will be back soon” type answer. Unfortunately he gave nothing away. Fingers crossed Riley and Mcnamee aren’t out for longer than expected

jimmy snels

Any win is a good win up there. I bought pretty much every Steelers webcast when the Devils played in Sheffield last year, but not anymore. On principal, I refuse to pay £15. To have tech problems when they’re charging that much is scandalous.
same for me. i won't be paying 15 quid for a webcast of elite league hockey bad enough ppv boxing

BostonBart22

When Gareth huish asked Lordo about Mcnamee last night I was hoping for a “nothing serious, he will be back soon” type answer. Unfortunately he gave nothing away. Fingers crossed Riley and Mcnamee aren’t out for longer than expected
would rather them back for CHL fully fit if possible, wouldnt risk them v storm with a few of their goons..

BostonBart22

mmmmmm strange one and quote from lordo mcnamee hope hes not upped and gone and keeping hush hush didnt see him get injured in a previous game...maybe me , just a hunch...

jenks33

mmmmmm strange one and quote from lordo mcnamee hope hes not upped and gone and keeping hush hush didnt see him get injured in a previous game...maybe me , just a hunch...
Yeah that’s my worry. Lordo just giggled nervously and said nothing. Fingers crossed Mcnamee isn’t on the move

Diablo3

Agree, I don’t think this team were at their best tonight, far from it, but they are far better than this, Steelers however are a different animal, they won’t win anything with this team.
I don't think any team should be written off this early in the season. Don't get me wrong I'll happily take the 2 points especially without Riley and McNamee. But looking at the results everyone is currently beating everyone else. Fife lose in Belfast 7-2 then beat them 5-2 at home.

I do think we should frame the current league table with Belfast in 10th (ok I know they have only played two games) ;)

kettdevil1

An intense game that was nerve-racking rather than exciting. The ice looked awful and that contributed to a first period low on quality but after that, the tension was such that any mistake caused heart failure amongst one set of supporters. I was actually more impressed than some by the Steelers, their game plan came very close to working and their niggling got to some of our players (the Dixon incident was not the only evidence of this). As others have said, I am not sure their NMing is good enough for the long haul but upfront they have a tonne of skill and strength.

For us, Linglet was his normal magical self but special mention for the Haddad - Marjamaki - Batch line, matched up against a tough Steelers trio they held their own and drew a lot of penalties.

Good to see Martin back as well, clearly he has a way to go before full fitness but he showed a few flashes of what we know he can do.

A few years ago we would have lost this game, it’s brilliant to see how this team now has the mental toughness and skill to find a way in a close game.

ASHIPP

Having GOAT back is massive..... not just because of his incredible skill set but his very presence motivates the team. As Captain he is probably doing even more.

mjh

Couldn't agree more. At the game on Saturday the team felt, to me as if it was a very different beast with Joey than without.
Having GOAT back is massive..... not just because of his incredible skill set but his very presence motivates the team. As Captain he is probably doing even more.

OJLloyd

Difference between us and them over the last few years - scraping an away win against one the arena teams is now something we view as being subpar.

They’re pleased to have been so close to us.

I don’t think we’ve even hit 3rd gear in the league yet, and there could be a combination of reasons. Whatever they are, they need to be sorted soonish if we want to push for the title this year.

Some different combos last night (at one point I recall seeing Linglet, Duggan and Haddad as a line), which is a very unusual thing to be able to do against Steelers. So not overly surprising that we looked a bit disjointed at times.

We definitely haven’t seen the speed, accuracy and attack that we showed in 3 of the 4 CHL games so far, but I suppose it’s more difficult against teams who see us as the favourites and play accordingly.

Sure we’ll be back to best soon.