Steelers Vs Devils - 23 Jan 19

bdevil

Nottingham & Fife this weekend = big tests.
Nottingham because it’s Nottingham Away & Fife because it’s a heck of journey up there following a tough game the night before.
If there is a silver lining to a brutal away schedule it is that Fife will be coming back from an away double header in Belfast when they play us

OJLloyd

We got away with one there. I had a feeling tonight wouldn’t be a classic after last weekend’s efforts so I’ll take an ugly win.
Sheffield’s first goal was hugely frustrating. We were all over them for 5 minutes before that goal and 0-3 would have been game over. Instead they go up the other end and score a soft goal out of nothing. I don’t like to be too critical of bownsy but he has to save that first goal. Suddenly it was 1-2 and the remainder of the game was hard work.
You have to praise Sheffield for their effort in the 2nd half of that game but they really do stink this season. If it wasn’t for whistle it could easily have been 0-4 in the second period.
I agree, he’d want that one back. Little slip in concentration it seemed to me, not knowing exactly where he was in relation to his post. Must be hard to remain switched after doing very little for the first 25 minutes.

Wannabe2

Very hard to win games when you only play as you can for one period, period one we hustled and bustled and were the only team in it, after that we went walk about, and were off with the fairies. We then let a very mediocre team back into it, before finally pulling the rabbit out of the hat. Two points thankfully, but we need to play as we can.

Temme

I see Armstrong is up to his tricks again.
How long before he seriously injures a netminder?
What was ironic last night was that in no way did he run Bowns, he was CLEARLY shoved into him and even turned his skate to stop himself completely wiping him out.

Still gets called 2 minutes & goal disallowed.

If he didn't have a reputation for being such a dirty player then who knows, but it's his own fault for having previous & ultimately every time he's run Bowns deliberately before it's not gone in our favour, so they owed us that one.

What was ironic last night was that in no way did he run Bowns, he was CLEARLY shoved into him and even turned his skate to stop himself completely wiping him out.

Still gets called 2 minutes & goal disallowed.

If he didn't have a reputation for being such a dirty player then who knows, but it's his own fault for having previous & ultimately every time he's run Bowns deliberately before it's not gone in our favour, so they owed us that one.
Agree, can’t blame him last night, can count ourselves unfortunate to have the goal dissolved.

But we created enough to win the game, if we don’t take chances against the champions elect we’re always likely to come away with an L.

Temme

Agree, can’t blame him last night, can count ourselves unfortunate to have the goal dissolved.

But we created enough to win the game, if we don’t take chances against the champions elect we’re always likely to come away with an L.
Has Whistle played like that all season? TB has been very critical of him in interviews but he looked sharp last night and a deserved MOTM.

We seemed to give up an awful lot of odd man rushes and gave up the slot pass 4-5 times when Sheffield were on the rush, Bowns let a soft one in for the 1st but he bailed us out a few times with key saves (and Pitt etc seemed to keep shooting wide during glorious chances).

JT666

For what it's worth, I was really impressed by Jackson Whistle. On yesterday's evidence, he seems to have improved a lot since the beginning of the season. Would you have him back?

jenks33

It shows how bad Sheffield have been when you see how positive their fans are being about last night. Fair enough they played well in the third and they battled well all night but they had 11 shots through 2 periods! Until Armstrong’s goal in the 2nd (which bownsy would definitely want back) I thought they were poor again. I just think we were poor as well. We certainly looked like the team that was going to get the third goal in that game and Armstrong’s goal came out of nowhere.

tim78

I thought the Devils appeared to be cruising (the ease in the flow to their game is how I would describe it [if that makes sense]), this is just based on the pace, space left open to to them and some of the lapses in the D. Only the players know how hard they pushed themselves.

But i'm happy for a team to walk out of shef with 2pts, no bruises and energy for the weekend (I hope).

Diablo3

I can't agree with you rating our performance as poor. We put a huge amount of pressure on the Steelers and Whistle had a good game. Even Barrasso rated us as the best team he has played against this season. After the efforts of the weekend, I'll take that.