Steelers sign Colt King

DevilDom

Thread starter #1
Apparently confirmed on Radio Sheffield this morning.

A cracking signing for them and i'm looking forward to seeing him play - shame it wasn't for us. :evil:

Will be interesting to see if he is actually any good after the hype and being on people's most wanted lists for a few years. He might turn out to be like Carlyle Lewis and Robin Gomez ... look really good on paper from their North American stats and then be pretty poor when they they get here!

this guy should be the real deal!!! damn its not us!!!
One good thing!!
If Steelers can afford him then who are we gonna get having the same wage cap!!
the possibilities are endless!!!

Wannabe2

Qweeb said:
this guy should be the real deal!!! damn its not us!!!
One good thing!!
If Steelers can afford him then who are we gonna get having the same wage cap!!
the possibilities are endless!!!
Exactly, and the G man wont let us down, of that i am sure.

J.B said:
Will be interesting to see if he is actually any good after the hype and being on people's most wanted lists for a few years. He might turn out to be like Carlyle Lewis and Robin Gomez ... look really good on paper from their North American stats and then be pretty poor when they they get here!
Well hes coming off a crap season in NA ending up with -9 +/- average, and has taken 207 and 170 Pims over the last two seasons. Im not saying i wouldnt like to have signed him but you would have to be careful with your other signings because you can guarentee finnerty will pick up a good lot of PIMs 228 last season

Gazza272

J.B said:

I think that is a very fair point.

Dont get me wrong if the Devils had signed him I would have been very excited (as I'm sure you would have JB had the Blaze signed him) But I dont think it is a make or break signing.

Also I believe that the Steelers have been able to afford Colt due to the signing of Huttel which is a gamble (even thoguh I do like the look of Huttel) While if you look at our squad so far we have signed some really good Brits and all our D are returners who are no longer on University courses this means undoutedly that our D is going to be more expensive this year than last meaning we are going to have to be more wheeling and dealing with our forwards.

Now thats not to say we wont find gems, take a look at Matzka we got him on a uni deal! But before all the jumping up and down starts on here about Colt King due to some warped sense of entitlement to him just because we had talks iwth him once I do think it is worth pointing out that maybe due to missing out on trophies last year due to defence (we scored enoguh goals!) that G is focussing more on our back end than our front.

Pretty happy with this.

I can't remember the last time we had a proper 'power forward'. Maybe even as far back as Scott Allison...

The signing of Huttel made this one happen. Let's hope the gamble pays off.

Finny

Crikey, I'm another one who is agreeing with J.B.!

It's always a worry when you are linked with someone for several years, that you can build them up too much and they end up disappointing. Robin Gomez and Carlyle Lewis were too players we were linked to and disappointed when we missed out on them - but in the end it looks like we may have had a lucky escape.

However, like others I too am interested to see if he is as good as he was built up to be.

jester said:
Im not saying i wouldnt like to have signed him but you would have to be careful with your other signings because you can guarentee finnerty will pick up a good lot of PIMs 228 last season
I think this will change this season. He's already admitted he has to change his game...I just hope that doesn't mean he's less effective.

Rempel16

Fair play to Finnerty for getting this signing in the bag.

And as one of those that have had him top of my wishlist each year I am gutted that he has gone to our biggest rivals.

I would like to think that we were in for him, but as Gazza pointed out, it is the Steelers signing of Huttel that has given them the funds.

His plus/minus wouldn't be of concern, just play him with two solid defensive forwards.

I am slightly concerned with seeing him in the BBT, as he hits like a train, cleanly too. I hope we are going to have someone to counteract his presence. I guess he is their 'Voth-type' signing. Does that mean that our 'Voth-type' signing is going to be Voth?

Well done to the Steelers. One very jealous Cardiff fan here this morning.

osh

A very good signing for the Steelers imo, especially as Finnerty was obviously looking for a guy who will look after his team mates and not be afraid to step up to the plate. I've seen him 'live' and he hits hard, he's not a bad skater, fights when needed and will be able to concentrate more on his hockey over here as there will only be 1 or 2 other teams who will have someone similar to him. My fear is that refs over here will see him as 'the new 'Voth' and not allow him to play as he legally should be allowed to. I'm sure Steelers fans will love him.

osh said:
My fear is that refs over here will see him as 'the new 'Voth' and not allow him to play as he legally should be allowed to. I'm sure Steelers fans will love him.
The refs and the league have different rules for the whinging squealers

ASHIPP

Well done to the Steelers - a great signing and already will be a fans' favourite through his reputation. They will be the envy of several EIHL teams and their fans today! Looking forward to seeing him play.

However, the bigger picture is what's important - individuals can be fantastic players but it's all about how the TEAM gels and buys into systems. That will only become apparent as the season progresses.

It's obviously all about the Steelers' side of PR's company this week. Let's allow them to have their 15 minutes of fame, give Simmsey a chance to burst a few of his blood vessels with excitement! :lol:

In the meantime, G and Franny can quietly go about the business of recuiting for OUR team. Because, in the end, how our team shapes up is all that matters. Look forward to seeing how it's going to develop. :? :cool:

Gospel

Im not too bothered about Steelers signing him. From his record he clearly likes to fight and if he tries that here he will be spending more time in the bin and then on the sidelines banned than what he would expect from his previous leagues.

If he has to change his game will he still have the same impact?

osh

Gospel said:
Im not too bothered about Steelers signing him. From his record he clearly likes to fight and if he tries that here he will be spending more time in the bin and then on the sidelines banned than what he would expect from his previous leagues.

Old King Colt ??

Nic O'Kilt ??

Clot Gink ?? Oh sorry, I thought you said change his name :lol:

ASHIPP

Terry Philips' twitter says that one element that helped secure Colt King was that he and Finnerty share the same agent.

Ragan's official spiel on the Elite League website confirms that many players are additionally interested in joining the Steelers because of their participation in the Continental Cup next season (as a springboard to a European career). Good news is, Sheffield won't be able to sign up everybody who's interested! :lol:

Gospel

osh said:
Gospel said:

Old King Colt ??

Nic O'Kilt ??

Clot Gink ?? Oh sorry, I thought you said change his name :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gospel said:

He's not an out an out fighter... Just a big tough power forward who can also handle himself when he drops the gloves (Think Milan Lucic or Ryane Clowe type of player)... It's a cracking signing for the Steelers, and i wish the Giants had of signed him..