Steelers new Coach

terry hunt

Stanley Cup winner twice,Calder Cup winner,Vezina trophy winner.
Watched him on tv many times USA, Hall of Fame.
A truly great player
I hope the Steelers give him the support he deserves

august04

Even at 53, he can’t be any worse in net than Jackson Whistle!
Seriously though, you’d think he’d have some great contacts having such a good playing career and a few years coaching under his belt. You can’t polish a turd though, so he’s got some job on his hands this year thanks to Thommo’s appalling recruitment.

If they can bring in a guy with that kind of background at such short notice it makes you wonder why they even bothered with Thompson at all, or is this a "splash the the cash, fix it now" signing

Gazza272

Even at 53, he can’t be any worse in net than Jackson Whistle!
Seriously though, you’d think he’d have some great contacts having such a good playing career and a few years coaching under his belt. You can’t polish a turd though, so he’s got some job on his hands this year thanks to Thommo’s appalling recruitment.

His playing career does suggest he was a bit of a loner, that seems to be the biggest knock on his playing career was that he wasn't the best people person.

Once went an entire season not talking to the press in pittsburgh, and it also seems he held a grudge with them when moving to Carolina:

https://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_719493.html

More details here of his time as a player:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/do-you-blame-tom-barrasso-for-his-anti-media-stance.1754647/

Well at least the post game steelers interviews will remain as entertaing as always it seems :D

Wannabe2

Thread starter #9
Let’s hope this guy can turn Steelers fortunes around, a poor Steelers team don’t help anyone. Our clashes with them are usually some of the best and long may that continue. If he can stabilise this season, and then build on what he has next season they could be back at the top end of the table.

James

Administrator
A poor steelers team helps lots of other teams get points. I don't see why steelers 'have' to have a good team. That's the attitude of steelers fans we all hate. I'd rather a poor steelers team and a good Flyers team or a good Lightning team for a bit. Steelers can stay at the bottom of the table all season for all I care, and I kind of hope they do. :cool:

Wannabe2

Thread starter #11
A poor steelers team helps lots of other teams get points. I don't see why steelers 'have' to have a good team. That's the attitude of steelers fans we all hate. I'd rather a poor steelers team and a good Flyers team or a good Lightning team for a bit. Steelers can stay at the bottom of the table all season for all I care, and I kind of hope they do. :cool:
Can’t fault that comment, perhaps I didn’t word it very well, but historically we have had a huge rivalry with the Sqeelers, and those games have always had a extra buzz about them, and beating them has to me always felt extra good. Think we all would like to see 11 very strong teams, and experience edge of seat games every week. I am like others glad to see the high and mighty on the slide, more so with Thommo, and the other Dick at the helm. When I said a poor Steelers team don’t help anyone, I really meant a poor any team don’t help anyone, we certainly don’t want to see another Caps thing happen to anyone. In my ideal world the 2nd strongest team in this league would Defo be Dundee Stars, as they are my 2nd favourite team. Maybe Steelers needed this kick up the rump to experience tough times, like ourselves and others have had to deal with. Believe me I ain’t no Steelers fan, but love beating strong teams.
Happy Hockey Days

ASHIPP

Part of the long-term sustainability of our league depends upon strong, balanced and secure teams. Think the Devils would probably feel much more satisfaction playing stronger, competitive, entertaining teams rather than winning 8-0 regularly without breaking sweat.

Whilst I have no sympathy for the Steelers' current position (afterall, don't recall much love from that club or it's fans when we were going through very tough times), let's hope their ownership/management give the new coach some backing and support. Steelers strong is important for the league.

terry hunt

Many reasons why Barraso would come to the EIHL.
I dont think playing/coaching in the UK harms a career anymore due to the success of several who have worked here.
We all speak variations of the english language.
Assuming he has a family the UK is still a good place to live and Sheffield is a fine city.
Not as good as Cardiff but there is no vacancy here.
All i read about him is he is 100% Penguins perhaps not so happy at Carolina(it is the south).
As for him being a bit of a loner arent all goalies like that?
I wonder if GB/Pete Russell will ask him to assist the GB goalies before next years world championship.He was an NHL goaltender coach.