Steelers lose again

Wannabe2

Thread starter #1
Guildford Flames 3 v Sheffield Steelers 2, bottom team MKL are 2 points behind Steelers with 4 games in hand.

Last edited:

KaneDevils

I care more about how well the devils are doing than the troubles in Sheffield. Hard to gloat when there's probably kids crying their eyes out as their team slowly crumble. After all, we know what its like and it's not nice.

Chris

Administrator
I care more about how well the devils are doing than the troubles in Sheffield. Hard to gloat when there's probably kids crying their eyes out as their team slowly crumble. After all, we know what its like and it's not nice.
Thing is, weren't our situation and their current one completely different?

It's not as if they've fired Thompson and replaced him with Tony on the bench is it?

They appear to have recruited an absolutely terrible team, that's not crumbling and I'm sure they will bounce back at some point. Results don't seem to have massively impacted on attendances so far this season and they seem to have a decent sponsorship/corporate side on the go...

James

Administrator
Thing is, weren't our situation and their current one completely different?

It's not as if they've fired Thompson and replaced him with Tony on the bench is it?

They appear to have recruited an absolutely terrible team, that's not crumbling and I'm sure they will bounce back at some point. Results don't seem to have massively impacted on attendances so far this season and they seem to have a decent sponsorship/corporate side on the go...
I was actually thinking about this last night. Devils hit rock bottom in the last year of Ragans tenure. Revolving door of mediocre players and losing a lot more than they won. This was down to bad management / decisions but mostly lack of money (probably also due to bad management / decisions). Steelers this year are just crap. They are under-performing and propping up the league but their club isn't under threat like ours was, it's the same back office team and set up for a number of years. Someone has to be bottom, no reason why it shouldn't be steelers for a bit. Yeah it sucks for their fans but thats sport. As long as it doesn't permanently damage their bottom line they can suck it up for a season. They'll be back soon enough.

KaneDevils

I simply meant results. I doubt the younger fans know too much about the political side of things. Plus it could well have a long lasting effect. Only time will tell.

Paul Sullivan

I was actually thinking about this last night. Devils hit rock bottom in the last year of Ragans tenure. Revolving door of mediocre players and losing a lot more than they won. This was down to bad management / decisions but mostly lack of money (probably also due to bad management / decisions). Steelers this year are just crap. They are under-performing and propping up the league but their club isn't under threat like ours was, it's the same back office team and set up for a number of years. Someone has to be bottom, no reason why it shouldn't be steelers for a bit. Yeah it sucks for their fans but thats sport. As long as it doesn't permanently damage their bottom line they can suck it up for a season. They'll be back soon enough.
Couldn't agree more. And with Chris. (Times change, eh boys? :D)

We were circling the drain due to serial entrepreneurship and mad hatters. They have a stable business, many resources, an owner who wants them to succeed but do it on a stable financial platform, and a loyal and passionate fanbase with good sponsorship. It's chalk and cheese.

Our biggest, most disliked / hated rivals crowed about the best coach, club and team in the land and they fell flat on their faces. For now. Of course they will be a force again, sport is cyclical like that as we all know.

What's the point of a rivalry (or even keeping score) if we don't get to enjoy being on the decent end of things when there is, technically, parity between us (outside of some key personnel in the important positions of course)? Some like to talk about free ice time and yes that's a benefit. But the ability to sell 9500 tickets, even at £5, is a fairly decent benefit too. Sold out games against the Panthers on boxing day at full price? That is a LOT of reasons to not feel sorry for them.

Enjoy it. If it helps, remember 2010-11 and 'that' Title deciding tie-breaker. Certainly works for me.

KaneDevils

Yes, all very true. When I said "we know what it's like" I referred to on ice results, not winning games/silverware etc. We don't need to show sympathy but also not do cartwheels every time they lose. I'd much rather Nottingham, Fife and giants drop points tbh.
That title decider remains one of the best games I've witnessed, despite leaving heartbroken. They are the games I crave, and you only really get that against the Steelers. Sport wouldn't be what it is without rivalry.