Stars v Devils - 19 Jan 20 - League

jimmy snels

I hope Steve Kings got his Viola Black Card ready because one thing in all of this head scratching post game breaking it down solution finding debates that’s damn clear is, turning this around to actually winning silverware and being the top dog is going to take some cash, probably more than has been spent previously. Assuming your interested next season competing with the arena teams for silverware & not just filling bums on seats for as little outlay as possible.
If your gonna talk wins, your gonna need to prepare for the ”others” to piss on your parade.

what a really disrespectful way to speak about someone let alone someone who is our owner that engages with people on this forum, pumped in cash and helped us achieve unparalleled success.

Time to go to bed and sleep it off fella.

A bit controversial but I think Louis dodges a lot of blame. Apart from being a good fighter, he doesn’t bring much else. He’s a decent d man but I really think we could do even better than him. Also, with him being paired mainly with McMonagle it does kind of make McMonagle seem worse than he really is. Look at Jardine for example, poor when paired with Reddick but when paired with Morrisson, a strong defensive defenceman he’s excelled

Mazzoak

Time to go to bed and sleep it off fella.
Your right, i’ve had 3 hrs sleep and way too many espressos..........

Enjoyed your summary of the current situation though, spot on.
I’d prefer a Devils loosing with passion, wish the ethos of the past was present in more players, paying to watch dead weight, I’m not such a fan of when it’s being repeated & repeated & repeated, but hey ho, as you’ve previously stated regarding not watching so many games, l guess that’s an option going forward.

The_Puck

A bit controversial but I think Louis dodges a lot of blame. Apart from being a good fighter, he doesn’t bring much else. He’s a decent d man but I really think we could do even better than him. Also, with him being paired mainly with McMonagle it does kind of make McMonagle seem worse than he really is. Look at Jardine for example, poor when paired with Reddick but when paired with Morrisson, a strong defensive defenceman he’s excelled
Looking at the league stats page, Louis is our worst +/- guy with -13, and McMonagle close behind with -12.

Mooney#16

The word ‘entitled’ best sums up the majority of this thread. Just wow to some people’s reactions.

My opinion the problem with this Devils team and it is a problem I do have with Lordo’s coaching annually is it’s all between the ears in psychology. The resilience to adversity and in game mentality is suspect. A few seasons back Devils were rock solid. Guys like Hotham, Ulmer and evan Asselin are some of the most clutch guys I’ve seen around in a long time. The only clutch guys I see this season is Joey Haddad and Dixon. I am a fan of this team. They can play some phenomenal hockey and I’m not on the gas player band wagon. But I do question and want to see where the gamers are. Devils should have torn Dundee a new one but they were too busy feeling sorry for themselves and dwelling on the past. They are talented guys and I actually believe when playing up to potential the best in the league but they currently do not have a winners psychology. If they can find it personally I’m confident Devils can still take the league but it’s very much in the players hands. Controversial opinion but the league is still there for the taking but the players really need to switch on and fast if they are to take what is still a huge opportunity. Sheffield are not a more talented team but right now they have a winners mentality and work ethic. Devils need to be mentally stronger, harder working and let their talent make the difference. Steelers still have some adversity to face and test them of that I’m confident.

Hedd Wyn John

I hope Steve Kings got his Viola Black Card ready because one thing in all of this head scratching post game breaking it down solution finding debates that’s damn clear is, turning this around to actually winning silverware and being the top dog is going to take some cash, probably more than has been spent previously. Assuming your interested next season competing with the arena teams for silverware & not just filling bums on seats for as little outlay as possible.
If your gonna talk wins, your gonna need to prepare for the ”others” to piss on your parade.
I disagree, sure if you want a cup winning hockey team you need to open your chequebook but you also need to spend smart. The Devils are a very good team and the ownership are certainly paying a fair wack on players, however some of the spend this year might have been sub optimal. We've got a few players who are in their mid 30s or older, whos performance hasnt been what it is in previous seasons. Sure you'll get the odd dips here & there but when some big names are consistently struggling and With the standard of the league increasing every year the consistency needed falls away. Let's not forget this is not a static world, other teams arencompeting even harder by bringing in lots of talent through the season making things a lot tougher to win.

Wannabe2

Don’t think the age thing means much we have
Bentivolglio 34
Dixon 34
linglet 37
Marjamaki 35
Morrison 37
Myers 35
Pope 35
Riley 34

Steelers have
Phillips 37
Johnson 36
Duba 38
Hrabal 34
Brocklehurst 34
Connolly 34
Davies 33
Lemtyugov 33

Dont think the issue is age, it’s more about ability,mindset, pride, passion, and wanting to be a winner.

Wannabe2

Stars need a little bit more credit they have beaten every team in the league, except Steelers and Panthers losing to Panthers in a shootout. They have beaten Giants x2, Flames x3, Storm x2, Flyers x2, Clan, Blaze and Devils once each

Kevlar68

We have run hot and cold all season but even with that we're still second in the league with games in hand, it's not the worst position to be in.
Look at Giants. When it was the beginning of season and they were announcing who they had signed most on here were like "Wow, what a great signing" but look where they are.
It's not over yet but when the team hit the heights they can why can't they keep up that effort?
Its one great display then one stinking display.

Last edited:

Ocko

Maybe we just aren’t as good as we’d hoped. It happens. Some signings don’t work out, some players it’s a season too far. It’s not the end of the world. We’ll be good again, either this year or next. I think some people have been too spoilt with success.

For every bit of entitlement that you think we have to lead the league year in year out there are just as many Sheffield, Nottingham and Belfast fans who think the same. Not everyone can win and we are no more entitled or worthy of winning than any other team.

Last edited:

jimmy snels

completely disagree. louis rarely gives the puck away and looks like he wants to defend. mcmonagle looks like he doesnt want to defend and additionally his position can be beyond horrific. at times we have combined mcmonagle with fournier which is the most shambolic pairing in devios devils history imho. that combo should litrally never happen

The word ‘entitled’ best sums up the majority of this thread. Just wow to some people’s reactions.

My opinion the problem with this Devils team and it is a problem I do have with Lordo’s coaching annually is it’s all between the ears in psychology. The resilience to adversity and in game mentality is suspect. A few seasons back Devils were rock solid. Guys like Hotham, Ulmer and evan Asselin are some of the most clutch guys I’ve seen around in a long time. The only clutch guys I see this season is Joey Haddad and Dixon. I am a fan of this team. They can play some phenomenal hockey and I’m not on the gas player band wagon. But I do question and want to see where the gamers are. Devils should have torn Dundee a new one but they were too busy feeling sorry for themselves and dwelling on the past. They are talented guys and I actually believe when playing up to potential the best in the league but they currently do not have a winners psychology. If they can find it personally I’m confident Devils can still take the league but it’s very much in the players hands. Controversial opinion but the league is still there for the taking but the players really need to switch on and fast if they are to take what is still a huge opportunity. Sheffield are not a more talented team but right now they have a winners mentality and work ethic. Devils need to be mentally stronger, harder working and let their talent make the difference. Steelers still have some adversity to face and test them of that I’m confident.
Don't agree with the statement regarding talent in Sheffield. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is much difference between the two teams but I think we just have the better scorers. The league stats suggest that to be a fact too. Now that we have also sorted ourselves out defensively and in goal our gaa is better than yours too.

As regards adversity, we've spent the whole season fighting injuries and injuries to top line players. Dowd, out for the season. DeLuca a month or more. Vallerand has missed big games. Davies a 6 game suspension. Yet we keep scoring goals, we keep finding a way to win games. We played Belfast with two of our top liners missing yet brushed them aside quite easily in fairness.

Consistency is going to be key. Us and Panthers have it right now. Can you jump on the boat too? Forget Belfast, just don't rate that team at all.

Rich Best

I have a feeling we'll come through this blip and win the league. We have the talent to do this and adversity makes you stronger. Hell we may even do the treble this year.

If anyone on here does not believe we can, they should take a drive up the M1 and go and support the team they seem to think we should model ourselves on.

terry hunt

completely disagree. louis rarely gives the puck away and looks like he wants to defend. mcmonagle looks like he doesnt want to defend and additionally his position can be beyond horrific. at times we have combined mcmonagle with fournier which is the most shambolic pairing in devios devils history imho. that combo should litrally never happen
I have watched Louis the last few games and am pretty sure he is carrying an injury.

jimmy snels

I have a feeling we'll come through this blip and win the league. We have the talent to do this and adversity makes you stronger. Hell we may even do the treble this year.

If anyone on here does not believe we can, they should take a drive up the M1 and go and support the team they seem to think we should model ourselves on.
rich you rarely offer an opinion on where you think we could improve, from your perspective where would you make changes? line combos different? style of play? roster changes? All is perfect change nothing?
im genuinely intrigued as you have this mantra of its all ok, i have faith but offer little in the way of facts or suggestions.

terry hunt

I know we are all frustrated and angry watching our good team play below its ability.
Not knowing why is the problem.
Dont knock our ownership group they are the best we have ever had and saved the Devils from extinction.
Their efforts have raised the standard of the whole EIHL.
They are without doubt true Devils fans and being Canadians they are not hindered by our sometimes crazy "welshness".
They have enough on their plate dealing with the Yanks/Iranians and now Harry and Meghan

Rich Best

rich you rarely offer an opinion on where you think we could improve, from your perspective where would you make changes? line combos different? style of play? roster changes? All is perfect change nothing?
im genuinely intrigued as you have this mantra of its all ok, i have faith but offer little in the way of facts or suggestions.
I think there is a very fine line between winning and losing. We are playing pretty well in my opinion, even though some players are not in 'great' form. A lot of it is between the ears. I just feel we will come good, and it is not in fact 'broken'.

Losing Joey Martin this year has been worth 6 points. If he is out for a prolonged period we should bring in a goalscorer to (some extent) replace him. Other than that let's stick with it, play our hearts out and try and bring back some silverware.

I am just happy to be competing each year, it wasn't like that for many years...

Rich Best

The only other thing I feel we have missed is a gamer like Hotham. But Hothams are hard to find, in my opinion one of if not the best we have ever had. We are maybe a bit clinical at times, not enough passion and we don't have a player who will grab a game by the scruff of the neck and pull everyone else forward.